Horse burgers

G

Guest105

Watching the news earlier I was shocked to see this. I do occassionally enjoy a ham burger in Mcdonalds but never buy frozen ones form the shops.

Is this news likely to damage our reputable food industry abroad, we could well do without it at this present time.

Surely the meat processing plants in question must know what kind of meat they importing and why are we importing so much "beef" when we are exporting 90% of our own home produced beef. It's mind boggling to say the least.

Big Deal! We dont know what is in the packets. Food providers have us conned with "what it says on the label" for years. Watching daytime television yesterday I learned that even when there is openness/transparency there is deviousness. The amount of names for sodium, sugar etc are there to confuse us. We are like lambs to the slaughter when it comes to shopping. And still we bear it. The latest horsemeat and pigmeat claims just add to what we already know.

. . . and of course there will be no laws to jail those guilty. . . and of course the supermarkets will blind us with advertising showing all their products are tracable to source . . .

Larry Goodman strikes again!! Anyone remember the Beef Tribunal?

How long before this man is punished adequately? He clearly doesn't care about damage to Ireland's exports.

I would not worry about the horse meat aspect, after all it is still eaten worldwide and a delicacy in france but what part of the horse used would worry me! Come to think of it thats why I dont eat hamburgers in the first place.

with things like frozen burgers you just never know exactly whats in them. anything can be put on a label, and how many of us even bother to read them!

What I cant understand :mad: is why they dont have the full enquiry behind the scenes and then publish the net result (&have done a practice run with PR consultants before they go public), so instead of "Ireland sells horse burgers labelled as beef" we'd have "French supplier rapped over ingredient cross contamination" - or whatever the net outcome is - I wouldnt have thought horses come with an asses roar (sorry:eek:) of the food chain for human consumption in Ireland.

What has happen was v v irresponsible, and just when new international markets are in the balance.

For the record, the latest I've heard is that the only possible contamination came from 1 factory in Monaghan and 1 in Cavan, and that other than the Tesco burger (25% horsey), all the others were only trace elements (0.01% type stuff).

So the real problem has become the impact on Irish exports, whereas it should have been a food ingredients relatively minor issue.

I see where you're coming from, but can you imagine the uproar if it came out - and it would - there would be accusations of cover-ups etc and no-one would believe anything the FSAI said in future. They're in a tricky position but are blameless.

To be honest, I think the pig meat because of the religious reasons may be more harmful than the horse meat.

To be honest, I think the pig meat because of the religious reasons may be more harmful than the horse meat.
Anyone who is serious about their beliefs regarding pork would more than likely buy only Halal or Kosher meat and wouldn't be buying burgers in the local supermarket.

If you want to avoid the uncertainty about what is in your food, just don't eat processed food. That also includes Spaghetti Bolognese, Lasagne, Cottage Pie and any other dishes that use processed meat from your local eatery as you'd more than likely be surprised at what the contents are. ;)

I agree. I never buy processed foods with minced meat in them because you just don't know what you're getting.

Well if the label says 100% beef then it shoudl contain 100% beef otherwise is it not misleading to the public?

Of course I forgot to add in Tesco's case " Every little helps" or on this case " Every Horse Helps"

Well if the label says 100% beef then it shoudl contain 100% beef otherwise is it not misleading to the public?
If the label says it's beef, then it should be beef and there's a €2,500 fine plus a possible 6 month prison term according to the fsai's 'Beef Labelling System'. Someone should be jailed for this, but more than likely no-one will be held accountable as usual.

Even if the label says 100% Beef, particularly where mince and other processed beef products are concerned, that's any part of a cow, use your imagination!

Mechanically Recover Meat is beef but it is a red gung that is added. Also the Beef may be traceable but the Horse is not. How can they blame additives when there is 30% horse?
quite a lot additives.
Wait until we get escargot in our burgers.

Back