Hollystown, Dublin 15, beside Hollystown Golf Course?

Re: Any opinions on Hollystown Dublin 15, beside Hollystown Golf Course?

hope you have many a happy years there,regards h

The same questions arise no matter where you live, what are your immediate neighbours going to be like, the answer is pot luck! As a location I think it has a lot going for it, close to some good amenities, Blanch, golf, main routes etc.

Marianne, out of curiosity, where did you buy in Ratoath ?

I'm thinking about buying a house in a small new development in Hollystown, Dublin 15, beside Hollystown Golf Course. Development is 65 houses. One we're looking at is 4-bed detached ~1,600 sq.feet for €530,000.

I'd like to re-open this one; its been nearly 3 years since Marianne posted.

We looked at one of these yesterday (Hollystown Demesne) and I have to say the house itself is excellent, and great value for a family home (detached 2,100 sq.ft, c.630-650k).

Myself and a friend played golf out there this morning to get a feel for the place (and to have a general nose around)

However, my enthuasiasm was very dented by the noise from the planes (more of a deafening rumble, about every 3 minutes for 20-30 seconds).

I know a lot of people said above that you wouldn't notice it after a while, but we thought it was simply deafening. As we talked/walked between holes we couldn't hear each other from 5 feet apart during the wake of take-off planes, it really was that bad.

Any update/thoughts from anyone living there/closeby?

Also any update on the schools situation; Are there adequate places close-by?

EDIT: as a matter of interest did these houses get the triple glazing ala Portmarnock, or perhaps Hollystown is not on that level

Last edited:

I have a friend who lives there and when you're sitting in her garden you have to stop talking if there's a plane going overhead because it drowns you out.

I have a friend who lives there and when you're sitting in her garden you have to stop talking if there's a plane going overhead because it drowns you out.

hmmm, thats what i was afraid of. Its the same as on the golf course so.

It ticks a lot of boxes for us, especially layout, size and price; the noise was unexpected, but could explain the pricing for such a large house too. Marianne's 2005 pricing for 1600 sq.ft seems to still be about right today too. The development seems very nice with all detatched houses

I checked on google maps this evening and sure enough its directly on the western flight-path.

Marianne, out of curiosity, where did you buy in Ratoath ?

Sorry - only noticed this now. If you're still there - Jamestown Park.

I'd like to re-open this one; its been nearly 3 years since Marianne posted.

We looked at one of these yesterday (Hollystown Demesne) and I have to say the house itself is excellent, and great value for a family home (detached 2,100 sq.ft, c.630-650k).

Myself and a friend played golf out there this morning to get a feel for the place (and to have a general nose around)

However, my enthuasiasm was very dented by the noise from the planes (more of a deafening rumble, about every 3 minutes for 20-30 seconds).

I know a lot of people said above that you wouldn't notice it after a while, but we thought it was simply deafening. As we talked/walked between holes we couldn't hear each other from 5 feet apart during the wake of take-off planes, it really was that bad.

Any update/thoughts from anyone living there/closeby?

Also any update on the schools situation; Are there adequate places close-by?

EDIT: as a matter of interest did these houses get the triple glazing ala Portmarnock, or perhaps Hollystown is not on that level

Couple of observations on this - I lived in Tyrrelstown for a while which would be pretty much under the same flight path as Hollystown. I can honestly say that you got used to the aircraft noise very quickly, to the point that you just don't notice it.

It reminds me of when I lived in Harold's Cross during the 1970s. You might get a plane passing over about twice a day. My cousins from rural Wexford used to rush out to the garden to see what the "commotion" was. We never noticed.

On schools, Tyrrelstown Educate Together school is now fully operational, as well as the school up the road in Kilbride and others that have been mentioned earlier in this thread.

There's been a serious price-drop on the small new development on that road - Chapelton, so I'd haggle hard on any offer price.

There's been a serious price-drop on the small new development on that road - Chapelton, so I'd haggle hard on any offer price.
Thanks Marianne. To be fair, anyone who lives on a flight-path has always said that you get used to it, so I think its probably true. (doesn't mean the noise goes away though!)

Without getting into a price movement debate, it is of concern to us that these houses are back to (and perhaps below) the 2005 price that you mentioned in your original post, as not many family houses are at that €/sq.m.

Without getting into a price movement debate, it is of concern to us that these houses are back to (and perhaps below) the 2005 price that you mentioned in your original post, as not many family houses are at that €/sq.m.

I can understand your concerns. The area does seem to have been hit fairly hard even though it was, in my opinion, quite reasonably priced for houses of the size and spec.

Pure speculation here but here's my two-cent worth on possible causes: -

• Perception that it's out in the sticks. (We get that in Ratoath, even though I can drive from my door to the M50 in less than fifteen minutes, even at peak times.)
  • Hard to shake off the proximity to some of the estates from where the Westies and other criminal gangs emerged, even though they're literally miles away and I've never once heard of any crime problems in Hollystown. If this is a reason, I'd find it ironic given that the multi-million residences in, say, Orwell Road in Rathgar are physically closer to some roads in Drimnagh / Crumlin where various drug barons came from.
  • Possible general inverted snobbery towards "Dublin 15" and "West Dublin"?

That's true - I never really saw any anti social behaviour at all in Tyrellstown, it's out on its own a bit, not really close to bad estates at all.

Re the planes, some people get used to it, some don't. Anyone living there at the moment will of course say that you get used to it. My husband couldn't stand it and we moved. The noise in Holystown is worse than Tyrellstown.

That's true - I never really saw any anti social behaviour at all in Tyrellstown, it's out on its own a bit, not really close to bad estates at all.

Re the planes, some people get used to it, some don't. Anyone living there at the moment will of course say that you get used to it. My husband couldn't stand it and we moved. The noise in Holystown is worse than Tyrellstown.

The plane noises in Tyrrelstown are deafening. I couldn't believe it the first time I stayed there with my girlfriend. It was like a giant vacuum cleaner hovering over the house from 6am onwards. Personally I think the houses in Hollystown are scandalously overpriced. There is a pretention that they are in an affluent area of Dublin. They are not.

My parents have lived in one of the 4 bedroom houses in Hollystown Demense since the houses were built.
The 3 bed are the dormer bungalow type ones and are bigger and initially were a higher price and the 4 beds are the 2 storey square looking ones.
In the beginning there were a few joyriders around but once the houses were finished and people had moved in that all changed.
Generally the neighbors are lovely mostly in their 30s(probably 40's at this stage) with young kids and there is a good sense of community spirit.
Not so sure now that there is a school in Tyrelstown but a lot of the children were going to school in Kilbride which is only down the road.
There are no public transport links but a local bus firm runs the "Hollybus" in to the city centre in the morning and back home in the evenings.
You really need a car though:)
If you sleep in the master bedroom you don't notice the planes at all but at the back of the house you do but get used to them fast.
Generally there is no anti social behavior there.

Last edited:
Back