Hollystown, Dublin 15, beside Hollystown Golf Course?

Marianne

I'm thinking about buying a house in a small new development in Hollystown, Dublin 15, beside Hollystown Golf Course. Development is 65 houses. One we're looking at is 4-bed detached ~1,600 sq.feet for €530,000.

Does anyone have any local opinions about this area?

Thanks.

Re: Any opinions on Hollystown Dublin 15, beside Hollystown Golf Course?

The houses look lovely alright, I've played golf there before. It's the transport links that would put me off, I'm sure how many options you have about getting to work.

Just gonna second everything CCOVICH says, the houses definitely look the part (though I'd be wary, when golfers such as myself are playing, could break a window). If working in town, I'd be wary about the transport options, I think it can be heectic in the morning (from a mate in lives in Tyrellstown).

Thanks guys. As I work at home, commuting thankfully isn't a problem.

I wasn't brought up in the area so I'm looking for local knowledge, good or bad.

So far so good, then. :)

Hi Marianne, I live in Tyrrelstown, there is a big lidl there, superquinn, they are never busy, new school opening, I like the area, it get's it's share of bad press but I find it nice and quiet,

navan road is a nightmare, I work in Clondalkin and it takes me an hour to get there in the morning but you are home based so you are lucky on that one!

I used to live fairly close. Nice aread. Lovely houses. Disaster of a traffic situation and Im sure there'll be a lot more housing estates going up around there in the future. Id say theres lots of investors just sitting on the green fields in the surrounding areas!

Don't know the topography of the site. Is it on a flood plain?

Be wary of buying beside a golf course and having lovely views of it - they may turn into a lovely view of identikit semi-d's in a few years! Lots of golf courses are selling up and being built on these days.

Don't know the topography of the site. Is it on a flood plain?

No idea. How would I check?

Be wary of buying beside a golf course and having lovely views of it - they may turn into a lovely view of identikit semi-d's in a few years! Lots of golf courses are selling up and being built on these days.

Good point. I suppose there's no way of knowing that in advance. The golf-course owners aren't likely to tell prospective homebuyers whether or not they plan to sell in a few years. I think I'd just have to take a chance on that one.

Ah I remember Malahide golf club, the old one, a bugger of 3 holes walking up a hill! Beside the Grand Hotel. Such a permanent fixture, a safe place to buy, or so one thought. And bang, [broken link removed] pops up. Nice looking house, but just cant decide which 'green' I would like to live on!?

[broken link removed]

Hollystown Junction mentioned.

If it floods you won't get house insurance.

That was at the Navan Road, by Blanchardstown SC

Where Marianne is looking is way up the road in the hills

Don't mind Dipole about flooding. I'm a member of the golf club for 2 years now. Very friendly members and good craic to be had in the bar.

Back to the flooding issue - unless Katrina or Rita hit you won't have flooding. Also the increased surface water drainage from the new house is, i believe, getting re-directed into a new lake/pond been constructed on the red 9th fairway (houses overlooking this one, you will see the ongoing work).

As for other developments around the place? who knows? One thing which would bother me is not just the traffic on the roads but the traffic overhead! Constant flow in and out of the Airport, particularly at w/end's and throughout the summer - very noisy!

Traffic should be mitigated by this time next year with the new Ashbourne motorway opening.

Hi Marianne,

A couple of year ago , i had a deposit on one of these houses. I pulled out for some of the following reasons.

1) Houses are on flight path out of Dublin airport on main runway. As the airport expands more flights. If a parallel runway is built to current main runway, even more flights. ( try visiting early in the morning.

2)Transportation links are not good

3) Too much vacant land around. Unknown what will be built there. Ie the new prison was scheduled for land close to here but the seller pulled out. ( this happened well after I cancelled the house.)

4) Poor infracture, schools and shops.

I am not trying to put you off. These houses are beautiful and if in Castleknock would be near the 1.5m mark. I don't think the golf course being converted into more houses will be an issue. I doubt that flooding in this area is an issue as there is a steep hill running into Mulhuddart .If you know about all the possible issue then an informed purchase can be made.

pm me if you want to discuss further.

Just noticed NEW house. The houses i'm refering too are the ones built around the golf course approx 5 yr ago.

I am a resident in Hollystown 2.5 years, Our house overlooks the golf course, I must admit its fantastic waking up in the morning, looking out at the view and appreciating the seasons again, We get the odd golf ball in the garden, buts its not an issue. In the summer you can walk the country lanes, and still travel into the city centre in the afternoon -still in Dublin County ...so no hassel with taxi driver surcharges, Hollystown is not for everyone, schools can be a issue, House buying is a trade off, and is really based on personal circumstances. Alas capital appreciation is modest considering the quality of houses, but this is changing, new developments locally (Redwood, Chapelwood) are focused on high value detached houses which is encouraging. Local sites are being sold for huge amounts, A new 4 star Hotel is presently being constructed. I work locally so I'm in work in about 15mins, its very accessible to the M50 and the Airport. There is a local Bus Service (Hollybus) and Dublin Bus Depot/ at Tyrrellstown. Yes… there is a flight path nearby which I was anxious about initially, honestly, after a while you don’t even notice, The biggest asset… a strong community spirit, most residents make a real effort to get to know you. You may say I’m biased, but I met a ex-resident recently whom regrets moving. ….It’s a lifestyle decision, you get a lot of bang for your buck! Hope this is of help.

There are some new houses coming up there later this year being built by Dolminack developments - so you can buy and not pay stamp duty !

Dipole said:
If it floods you won't get house insurance.

The development you are talking about is quite a distance (and uphill) from the Tolka river. Flooding would not be a problem.

edgar.p.mint said:
There are some new houses coming up there later this year being built by Dolminack developments - so you can buy and not pay stamp duty !

Hi 'Edgar'

Do you have any connection with any company involved in the marketing of this development?

As far as I am aware McPeake Auctioners are selling it - they did the original phase

Back