Hollystown, Dublin 15, beside Hollystown Golf Course?

Re: Any opinions on Hollystown Dublin 15, beside Hollystown Golf Course?

Check out Fingal CC in blanch behind An Driocht. The draft plan 2005 to 2011 shows this area as RV1, or " no more than 10 houses per acre". The fields behind Hollystown are the Meath / Dublin green belt and should not be rezoned according to councils . The land from roundabout to Cappagh are for technology park and similar works, although a small development of very large houses will be built in front of the Oaks( white houses at roundabout) later this year. Carlos

The last few houses in Redwood, in Hollystown are being sold at the moment. They are very tempting and seem to be good value for money. I'm not familiar with the area and although transport links would be of some concern I'd be more concerned about the proximity to Lady's Well and Corduff. Although someone has previously mentioned land around there is zoned RV1, which is fine, what is planned for the land between Mulhuddart / Blanch and Hollystown.

I've noticed the Oaks have electric gates at the entrance as do another development on the far side of the golf club. Just wondering does anyone know if there's a particular reason why they felt they needed to live in a gated community?

dubweiser said:
Just wondering does anyone know if there's a particular reason why they felt they needed to live in a gated community?

I always felt that this indicated that the residents feel they are better than everyone else; that somehow the general public must be kept at a distance, residents only and all that. It's a sad state of affairs.

extopia said:
I always felt that this indicated that the residents feel they are better than everyone else; that somehow the general public must be kept at a distance, residents only and all that. It's a sad state of affairs.

Not to drag the thread off topic, but gates are a necessity in our development as we have joyriders and commuters entering and abusing the common area that we have paid for and pay to maintain. I don't feel any better than anyone else, but I feel that we are entitled to enjoy what is our private property. How would people who live in houses feel if people were parking in their driveways or sitting in their garden?

I've people want to go further on this, let's start a thread in LoS. Otherwise, we'll just leave this at Hollystown etc.

Hi CCOVICH - Do you live in Hollystown? If so would you recommend the area to a prospective buyer?

Not too interested in getting into a debate about the merits and demerits of gates etc. but the fact that you mention joyriders would lead me to believe that there are concerns about anti-social behaviour among residents in the area. If that's the case, I'm thinking maybe it's better to forego a couple of hundred sq ft and opt for somewhere else.

Redwood looks like a fantastic development in a beautiful setting and the fact that it's in strong contrast to the nearby corporation housing may make it appear as rich pickings for break-ins etc.

I guess what I'd like to know is - has too much has been made in the media of the problems of certain parts of D15 or is an accurate reflection?

Sorry if I caused any confusion-but I don't live in Hollystown, I have played golf there and it seems nice, one problem I mentioned earlier in the thread was transport.

Break-ins are as likely to happen where there is no corpo etc. housing nearby IMHO-I once lived in a castle in D4 and we were robbed!

I should also mention that my experience is of a new development near a DART station, which would suggest that things will settle down in time.

Again, I'm not referring to the Hollystown area, merely generalising.

Hollystown is a close knit community of 123 houses. Take a spin in and chat to any of the residents, they are very approachable. Fischer Property Management look after the estate on the residents behalf and it has an active management commitee. When yor purchase there you actually own a 123rd share of the development as it is a private estate. The oaks got gates originally and the others 3 houses were the show houses and the gates were just for that. Carlos

new houses in Hollystown on sale soon Called Chaplewood approx 124 being built. Sold by Mc Peake.

Hello all,
recently bought in Hollystown, but have heard a rumour that the Golf Club owner(s) may be selling up.
Anyone heard same or can substantiate?

I have heard nothing about the golf course selling up (in fact they seem to be pumping money into the place).

However, the Par 3 and Driving range which is just around the corner is closing - a friend who told me this said he didn't know why, but it is closing. It wasn't surprising because the odd time I'd played it over the last year it was falling into a worse and worse condition.

Hi Marianne,

A couple of year ago , i had a deposit on one of these houses. I pulled out for some of the following reasons.

1) Houses are on flight path out of Dublin airport on main runway. As the airport expands more flights. If a parallel runway is built to current main runway, even more flights. ( try visiting early in the morning.

2)Transportation links are not good

3) Too much vacant land around. Unknown what will be built there. Ie the new prison was scheduled for land close to here but the seller pulled out. ( this happened well after I cancelled the house.)

4) Poor infracture, schools and shops.

I grew u pvery close to this development in the 80s and I must say driving by there the other day I was very impressed with the development. There are two schools that I know of within a 10-15 minute drive: Kilcoskan NS (may have changed names but it near the Coolquay Lodge) and St Margaret's NS.

As regards the flight path - you may not believe me but you get used to that in no time.

The new road link from the M50 has pushed the value of houses up hugely in recent times.

I would definitely recommend this area.

Sorry - I also meant to say that flooding was NEVER an issue for us so there is no need to worry about that

It is the Par 3 golf course on the other side of tyrrelstown that is for sale not Hollystown.

Delboy159 & MonkeeMan - thanks for that confirmation about the golf course at Hollystown. I'm glad I heard wrong.

Just to point one thing out about the golf course.....This is no Druids Glen we are talking about....It's pretty much a pay to play place full of taxi drivers.....Don't get carried away with the thoughts of overlooking that type with their brass badges on their Pringle polo's !!

Heaven forbid. Hollystown is an honest course. It's overlooked by such celebrities as Christy Dignam and Brendan O'Carroll.

I’m a resident living in Hollystown, we purchased the house from the plans, and been living here for over 5 years now. I have to say I love the location. When we bought here there was very little around in terms of infrastructure even though we where still a short drive away from the Blanchardstown Centre. I knew this area would be well developed in the coming years and I have been proved right.

It has proved to be a great investment. We overlook the Golf course, we have never had an issue with golf balls, but that’s probably due to the position of the house in relation to the fairway.

There is a great feeling you are living in the countryside yet you are within easy reach of the city. I have read previous posts mentioning traffic congestion.....to those people,for Gods sake... this is Dublin!....the whole city and all its inbound routes are congested, at least the inbound route on the N2 is still one of the fastest routes into the city centre out of all the mayor incoming roads into Dublin. Hollystown is situated right between the N2 and the N3 so you have a choice of which route to take depending on what part of the city you need to get to.
If congestion is an issue for you and you work in the city centre, why look in the outer suburbs of Dublin?? Get yourself a nice little shoebox apartment in the IFSC or D2 somewhere....Everything is a trade off!

You are 10 minutes from the Airport via the back roads.
5 to 10 min from all that the Blanchardtown Centre has to offer.
Lidle/Superquinn and an assortment of other shops/cafe/restaurant/4 star Hotel 3 min down the road in Tyrellstown, and the great political masterpiece that is the National Aquatic Centre, and easy access to the national car park that is the M50!..and dont forget the Golf course thats right at your front door.

The fact that this area is on a flight path was a concern to me initially, but it’s really not an issue. During the day it’s really not noticeable and there is no flight traffic during the night...the odd one perhaps but that’s it.

There is a strong community spirit here, with an active resident committee. It’s a private estate and therefore well looked after and maintained. There are a number of primary schools in the area, - Killbride and Killcoskan (not sure of the spelling) and also in St Margret’s, and from a previous post I believe another school is being build in Tyrellstown.

There is a local bus service that will collect and drop you right from Hollystown (Hollybus) and a CIE service from Tyrellstown which will probably be extended at some point) right into the city, and also from Blanchardstown.

Crime?.. No more then anywhere else in Dublin, personally we have never had a bad experience here. It doesn’t matter where you live in Dublin. Just be sensible about it. Lock your doors and cars at night as you would anywhere else in Dublin. Sure, it’s a couple of miles from an area with not a great reputation...so are many other places in Dublin! It has never been an issue. Get over it!...this is Dublin, not the land of Fairies!

There are no issues with flooding in the estate or surrounding golf course, but I did have trouble getting back from the office a couple of years back when the N2 and most of Dublin was flooded. But even then there was no problem in this estate so I don’t expect there ever will be in the future, and there is no problem with house insurance!

The houses are well build and spacious, and if value for money is an important concern, space and a bit of tranquility and still be in easy reach of the city then you'll do ok here.

Thanks JoJo68 and all who replied. While we were looking at Hollystown a bigger house came up in Ratoath which is only about 10 minutes drive or less further out, through Kilbride. We fell in love with the house and bought. Love affair has continued since we moved.

just wondering ,did you buy.are you happy with it?

Hi hopalong. Yes we did. You may have missed my post earlier today.

Back