Health Service Inefficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATC110

who knew the damage unions of today can bring to a great company.
I couldn't agree more - where unions have got a foothold they have emasculated businesses.
And in the public sector they are solely responsible for preventing efficient service delivery.
This needs to be publicly discussed but with the main media sources such as RTE and the IT being heavily controlled by unions it doesn't happen.

Solely responsible? Really? Would you like to give some examples of where/when this has happened please?
It'd be easier to give examples of where it hasn't happened.

There is absolutely no need for unions in the public sector - Larkin could never have envisaged the statutory protections and benefits they enjoy.

Staff working where they've historically worked and want to continue working rather than where they're needed.
Health services such as MRIs only being available 9-5pm creating a huge waiting list and years to get a scan.
Staff refusing to undertake additional training during the working day unless they get a pay increase for "upskilling.
Avaricious unions holding the general public to ransom by withdrawing essential services when they decide to go on strike, ostensibly for "health and safety", but in reality always for even more money for their cosseted already overpaid members.
The PS unions exists for the sole benefit of the people working in it discommoding the hapless public they purport to serve in the process.

They are subversive organisations, should be dissolved, their assets seized and their leaders exiled.

The PS unions exists for the sole benefit of the people working in it .....
In all seriousness, isn't that what they're supposed to do? Next, you'll be telling me that the IFA exists for the sole benefit of farmers.
They are subversive organisations, should be dissolved, their assets seized and their leaders exiled.
Right, I see. Same goes for IBEC too, I suppose? Chambers of Commerce too, while we're at it?

Trade Unions now do not have the aggression they once had. We don't have protracted all out strikes which existed in the 1970's where nobody won and most workers lost. Employers, managers, staff have evolved to talk/talk win/win, fair/fair situations and seldom does anybody working have to raise a weapon of war. It has taken decades of understanding and negotiation to get to this point and was bought by management and staff alike. So, according to ATC110 above:- "They are subversive organisations, should be dissolved, their assets seized and their leaders exiled." (ATC110 is entitled to his/her opinion, but seriously do you think comments like that are from somebody who is promotion material?).

If ATC110 had his/her way how long do you think it would be before serious trade union action would be taken? Just a short skim of subjects on this forum (even today) shows where people have been discriminated against, openly insulted, broadly silenced, walked upon, robbed, denied rights etc by some employers and management.

In most of my life I worked in the Civil/Public Service and even on my last week before I retired an upwardly mobile newly promoted manager asked me to supply her with the names of non union members as there was quite a tough project coming up and she apparently wanted to easily "screw" whatever innocent she could. Needless to say I didn't give the information, but even what I was asked was enough to know trade union membership is still necessary. I'm not making a big deal of this, but it shows that given an inch some will take a mile.

If you want to work 90/100 hours per week and accept no overtime payments and if you think that will enhance your CV and your management will look on you as promotion material - Great! - Drive on, but don't expect others to do the same. You want to be a work super hero; then off you go and sacrifice what you wish, but don't come crying to me when things go pear shape for you as they most certainly will. The Civil/Public service never owned me and I never owned it. Most of us give and gave a good and fair service and I see nothing wrong with that.

In all seriousness, isn't that what they're supposed to do? Next, you'll be telling me that the IFA exists for the sole benefit of farmers.
Absolutely, the function of a Trade Union is to get as much reward for a little work as possible for its members. In the case of the Public Sector unions they do an excellent job as they have clearly succeeded in that endeavour.
Right, I see. Same goes for IBEC too, I suppose? Chambers of Commerce too, while we're at it?
IBEC, certainly. Same as the IFA, ISME etc. They, along with all Trade Unions, are vested interest groups that act for their members alone, often against the common good. A strong government would act to counter those influences. Unfortunately our system elects weak governments.

Absolutely, the function of a Trade Union is to get as much reward for a little work as possible for its members. In the case of the Public Sector unions they do an excellent job as they have clearly succeeded in that endeavour.
Just another terrific observation from Purple the Greatest Recruiter to Trade Unionism on this forum. Pity, once again (and as usual) he got it wrong.

It'd be easier to give examples of where it hasn't happened.

There is absolutely no need for unions in the public sector - Larkin could never have envisaged the statutory protections and benefits they enjoy.

Staff working where they've historically worked and want to continue working rather than where they're needed.
Health services such as MRIs only being available 9-5pm creating a huge waiting list and years to get a scan.
Staff refusing to undertake additional training during the working day unless they get a pay increase for "upskilling.
Avaricious unions holding the general public to ransom by withdrawing essential services when they decide to go on strike, ostensibly for "health and safety", but in reality always for even more money for their cosseted already overpaid members.
The PS unions exists for the sole benefit of the people working in it discommoding the hapless public they purport to serve in the process.

Is it possible that your information is 20-30 years out of date? I'm struggling to recall any specific examples in recent memory that match to your descriptions there. Can you give any specific incidents that have happened in recent years?
I'm not sure if you're aware of how the public service turned on a sixpence about 18 months ago, with resources being moved to new and different roles and locations, and supporting a move to a complete work-from-home environment over a few weeks - no pay increases for upskilling, no resistance about work locations, just doing what it takes to keep the ship running.
And yes, trade unions exist for the benefit of their members, just like professional associations like the Law Society, the Bar, RIAI, various accountants bodies and more.
I'm sure many an aspiring fascist leader would be drooling at the mouth at your dissolving/seizure proposals below. Any civilised society would wonder what exactly the employer would be afraid by having effective representation for workers.

Just another terrific observation from Purple the Greatest Recruiter to Trade Unionism on this forum. Pity, once again (and as usual) he got it wrong.
So what's the function of a Trade Union if it's not to represent the interests of its members?
Who doesn't want more money and who doesn't want to do less work?

I regularly hear people complaining about civil/public service, alleged inefficiency, etc. but they don't give examples. The public servants I know enjoy their jobs and work hard.

If you take healthcare alone you can see that unions are roundly ignored. Are people aware that HSE doctors still work illegal hours?

When I started out we did 120+ hours a week, with shifts of up to 36 hours on site, usually with only a couple of hours of broken sleep. It was outrageously unsafe for patients and staff. Imagine being operated on by someone who has been awake since the previous day and has not had time to eat. The IMO brought strike action a few years ago to restrict maximum shift length to "only" 24 hours - and that was considered a victory!

Despite that agreement the HSE is still breaking the law, running roughshod over the EWTD, not paying doctors overtime, etc. Nursing is similar - I would not do their job for love nor money. As a patient I would like stronger trade unions in healthcare so the people looking after me can do their job properly.

As a patient I would like stronger trade unions in healthcare so the people looking after me can do their job properly.
Really? This argument has been done to death in other threads, but we already have the second highest number of nurses in the EU, for the youngest population. We spend way more than most others on healthcare and yet have worse outcomes. How do you feel paying them even more to do even less could be a good thing?

I regularly hear people complaining about civil/public service, alleged inefficiency, etc. but they don't give examples. The public servants I know enjoy their jobs and work hard.

If you take healthcare alone you can see that unions are roundly ignored. Are people aware that HSE doctors still work illegal hours?
And yet they won't reform contracts, payroll or work practices that cost the State hundreds of millions. Have you need to Naas Hospital A&E? Go in and spend a few hours sitting there. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. The chaotic and incompetent way the Nurses run the place has to be seem to be believed.
When I started out we did 120+ hours a week, with shifts of up to 36 hours on site, usually with only a couple of hours of broken sleep. It was outrageously unsafe for patients and staff. Imagine being operated on by someone who has been awake since the previous day and has not had time to eat. The IMO brought strike action a few years ago to restrict maximum shift length to "only" 24 hours - and that was considered a victory!
Junior doctors did those kind of hours, mainly Interns. SHO's also worked crazy hours (many still do). Neither Interns or SHO's are operating on anyone. Registrars do simple procedures, if approved to do so by the Consultant they work under. Let's not make stuff up. They are certainly writing prescriptions and monitoring patients when way too tired to do so but that's because Consultants won't do their job and when those NCHD's become Consultants they don't do their job either.
Despite that agreement the HSE is still breaking the law, running roughshod over the EWTD, not paying doctors overtime, etc. Nursing is similar - I would not do their job for love nor money.
I wouldn't clean out septic tanks for a living but some people so. Horses for courses.
As a patient I would like stronger trade unions in healthcare so the people looking after me can do their job properly.
That's an oxymoron.
How come we have one of the best funded healthcare systems in the world but some of the worst metrics for outcomes in the OECD?
Is it all the fault of every single Minister for Health for the last 40 years? Oh, is it the HSE? If so that begs the question, 'Who are the HSE?'. Of course the HSE are the 120,000 people who work in it, including every single doctor and nurse. Sorry guys, but you gotta' take responsibility for the mess you perpetuate. Heroes? Don't make me laugh.

Really? This argument has been done to death in other threads, but we already have the second highest number of nurses in the EU, for the youngest population. We spend way more than most others on healthcare and yet have worse outcomes. How do you feel paying them even more to do even less could be a good thing?
Are you holding the Trade Unions responsible for the running of the health services?

I never mentioned pay rises and in all my years on the trade union side we rarely pushed for it. We can't even get paid fully for the work we do at the current rates. In fact we are always asking for fewer hours which would mean much lower pay. Everyone in my unit would rather work in better conditions for less pay and that's my experience in every HSE hospital I have worked in. The idea that healthcare workers are after big pay rises is a strawman argument that only helps the DoH and HSE deflect from the fact that they are unable to run hospitals safely.

As several people have have pointed out many times on this site and others the number of nurses in Ireland is not the 2nd highest in the EU when you actually look at the data. This is media fodder presented by DoH/HSE to undermine legitimate criticism of an underperforming public system. There are many problems in the HSE which cannot be fixed by throwing money/jobs at them but it is politically expedient to focus on wages rather than talk about the lack of primary care infrastructure, failure of Slaintecare, NIMBYism that ignites when any hospital is downgraded, etc.

I never mentioned pay rises and in all my years on the trade union side we rarely pushed for it.
I didn't either. No one here said staff seeking pay rises was the issue, the issue is the horrendous waste and inefficiency that is currently in the system.

As several people have have pointed out many times on this site and others the number of nurses in Ireland is not the 2nd highest in the EU when you actually look at the data. This is media fodder presented by DoH/HSE to undermine legitimate criticism of an underperforming public system.
Why is it you think that Eurostat would use a different criteria for Ireland than the rest of the EU???

Why would the DoH/HSE claim to have a higher rate than is reality when that would just make them look even more incompetent? When we rank down the list in terms of beds by population.

Last edited:
And yet they won't reform contracts, payroll or work practices that cost the State hundreds of millions. Have you need to Naas Hospital A&E? Go in and spend a few hours sitting there. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. The chaotic and incompetent way the Nurses run the place has to be seem to be believed.
Who won't reformed contracts? Doctors have been asking for new GP and consultant contracts for years. DoH have failed to discuss GP contract and then produced a bizarre Slaintecare contract which is going nowhere. I've never been to NAAS ED but what exactly are the nurses doing that is so wrong? And what does that have to do with the union?

Junior doctors did those kind of hours, mainly Interns. SHO's also worked crazy hours (many still do). Neither Interns or SHO's are operating on anyone.
Well I was a junior doctor for almost a decade, which is a long time to work those hours. Where are you getting your information on SHOs? Ours operate every week.

Registrars do simple procedures, if approved to do so by the Consultant they work under. Let's not make stuff up.
Again, where are you getting this from? Registrars do complex procedures all the time and towards the end of their training may well have their own lists. When I was a 3rd year SHO I was doing full lists as the primary surgeon with the consultant teaching/assisting.

They are certainly writing prescriptions and monitoring patients when way too tired to do so but that's because Consultants won't do their job and when those NCHD's become Consultants they don't do their job either.
What is this based on? In my unit consultants are available 24/7, do teaching morning, lunchtime, evening, see patients 1-2 times per day, do clinics, operate, do research... It sounds like you are making claims based on the distant past because I have worked in hospitals all over Ireland and I have never seen what you're describing.

I wouldn't clean out septic tanks for a living but some people so. Horses for courses.
My point is that nurses also come in for unfair criticism when in fact they do a very tough job in poor conditions. Brilliant nursing colleagues of mine who have moved abroad will never return, they are treated so much better. We should be trying to keep them here instead of buying into this anti-union, anti-public service hysteria.

That's an oxymoron.
How come we have one of the best funded healthcare systems in the world but some of the worst metrics for outcomes in the OECD?
It's not all about funding, planning and infrastructure are huge elements. We have no national electronic patient record, no sign of the individual health identifier, HSE has multiple HR/salary offices which do not work together. We also concentrate huge resources in hospital which should be done in the community - that's the core of Slaintecare, which has been delayed and undermined.

Is it all the fault of every single Minister for Health for the last 40 years?
Every element of the system plays a part, including the general public who have voted in governments that allow the status quo to perpetuate. The creation of the HSE was a huge failure as it just stuck a lot of health boards together but let fiefdoms develop. The creation of the Vhi and the proliferation of private care is also DoH and government's doing.

Sorry guys, but you gotta' take responsibility for the mess you perpetuate. Heroes? Don't make me laugh.
I've never heard anyone in healthcare refer to healthcare staff as heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back