Hacked Medical records (HSE)

Thirsty

Does anyone know how one might find out if their medical records were published? (Aside from waiting for scammers)

Not a clue how you might find that out, and to tell you the truth I care less if they are or not. One thing's for sure, I won't be suing anyone if they are published and i've had plenty wrong medically over the years. I live in Ireland and am fairly certain the neighbours know everything anyway. If the rest of the country find out? So what?

Not a clue how you might find that out, and to tell you the truth I care less if they are or not. One thing's for sure, I won't be suing anyone if they are published and i've had plenty wrong medically over the years. I live in Ireland and am fairly certain the neighbours know everything anyway. If the rest of the country find out? So what?
That’s fine for you, but there could be people with very confidential or sensitive issues.

I would imagine the HSE (or rather the guards) are monitoring the Dark Web for medical records being sold, I heard something like the low 20's in number were out there and RTE said that a lot were untouched the other day... if you're unlucky that you were published then I'm sure they would contact you as the guards are involved on the case at this stage...

All medical information for all citizens is confidential and sensitive. It's not a unique condition to any one person.

I don't have quite the same confidence that Gardai would contact everyone directly; in fact I'd be pretty certain they wouldn't expend time on it.

I would love to see what medical records about me were out there but I doubt if anyone else would find them as interesting as me. I can however understand others who would be extremely upset if they had the same experience. The horribleness of the invasion of privacy is horrendous.

Plus all the pay and personal details of the HSE staff is probably floating around.

I wouldn’t have any idea about how to find my data, maybe journalists will be able to demonstrate but will website publishing the days be shut down as soon as they are discovered?

True and I understand that, but it is what it is and can't be changed. In any case, doesn't answer the Op's question
So why did you post it then?

The chronology was:

- OP asks how to find out if medical records have been published
- You say that you’ve no idea but then tell everyone that you don’t care anyway
- I point out that it may be fine for you but not for other people
- You rather bizarrely tell me that I’m not answering the OP’s question

Very strange.

Folks - please keep your personal dispute out of this and focus on the original question only. Any further off topic posts will be deleted.

Maybe go to Letting off Steam if you really must continue the conversation.

Brendan

Does anyone know how one might find out if their medical records were published? (Aside from waiting for scammers)

There is a high court injunction in place regarding the data, so it is highly unlikely that the data will be generally accessible from Ireland through the likes of Google, Facebook, Twitter etc. Crude but necessary legal measure however, the effectiveness will low. Highly likely that the data will be used for scamming purposes over the next couple of years.

I would imagine the HSE (or rather the guards) are monitoring the Dark Web for medical records being sold, I heard something like the low 20's in number were out there and RTE said that a lot were untouched the other day... if you're unlucky that you were published then I'm sure they would contact you as the guards are involved on the case at this stage...

The HSE will be obliged to contact those whose data has been compromised.

This website in general is good but is likely tracking websites only and probably doesn't capture the HSE. Also as I understand with this hack everyone's data is at risk.

The other option is to access the dark web yourself, which can be done via the TOR Browser. It then depends whether the hackers themselves have published publically or just put them up for sale. It would just then be a lot of searching on TOR to see if they are available publically.

It is quite a difficult situation and if think it is best just to wait and see if the Gards or HSE reach out to notify you.

As I've previously pointed out, it's not unique to any one person.

I'd like to see a process for people to be notified - at the very least they would be (one hopes) more on guard against scammers.

So far I've not seen anything published from HSE as to what action they will take.

+1 for they index this content when it becomes available so looking for your phone number or email if HSE had it might return some results.

It was mentioned on one of the news items on telly last week that they will probably release records on psychiatric patients as they would be seen as more vulnerable and easier to get money out of.

Bear in mind, it won't just be your medical records. The hackers are also likely to have your name, DOB, address, phone and email, PPS number, Medical card number, Private insurance details and next of kin details as well as copies of your signature (if it had been scanned). In effect, enough to carry out a decent attempt at a scam. That's before we know if any payment details or IBAN's were also compromise.

I don't recall ever being asked for PPS number by my GP or in Hospital but I presume it is common ?
Very unusual for a GP not to ask for your PPS number unless you are with them possibly since you were a child. Hospitals definitely ask.

Do they still ask for your mothers maiden name, I would presume this would be an important bit of info for a hacker

Back