gmail invitation?

Ive had a few requests from friends based in the UK for gmail addresses (as opposed to the rather ungainly googlemail addresees they get over there).

if you have a Uk and I think a german IP address, it automatically default to googlemail. Due to some sort of trademark problem in both countries.

However, the @gmail.com OR @googlemail.com email addresses are interchangable and you will receive email sent to both.

Anyone on line now with an invite please? Am trying to receive a large message to my office but none of my email accounts will accept such a large message at present? TIA

Anyone on line now with an invite please? Am trying to receive a large message to my office but none of my email accounts will accept such a large message at present? TIA

(Don't have a gmail account so purely out of interest)
Is there a size limit on incoming mail?
I know the storage is very large (2gb) but do they block individual mail over a certain size (2mb, 5mb etc.)?

Thanks again to JD- have it now. Actually will use it anyway, but it will not take the message I'm trying to have sent to me- which is 29mb- does anyone have any idea of any account which will support this? I know I could break it up, but for technical reasons I don't want to have to.

Thanks again to JD- have it now. Actually will use it anyway, but it will not take the message I'm trying to have sent to me- which is 29mb- does anyone have any idea of any account which will support this? I know I could break it up, but for technical reasons I don't want to have to.

Any chance you could zip/compress the file?

For what it worth I used the follow procedure to boost my hotmail account to a 250 MB size limit. Not as good as the 2GB you get with gmail, but a lot better than the crappy 2MB I had previously:

1:

2:
Go to the submenu "my profile' and choose from the dropdown-menu/fill
in the following:
State: Florida
Zipcode: 33332

(make sure the birthdate is set to a date/year which indicates that
you are older than 13!!)

3:
Save the information and go back to the 'Options' screen

4:
Go to the 'Language' submenu

5:
Change the language to 'English' and save that information

6:
Click on this link
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/accountclose

If that didn't work try this
http://by17fd.bay17.hotmail.msn.com.. .in/Accountclose

or this
http://memberservices.passport.net/...ice.srf?lc%2043

and press 'Continue' until you arrive to the 'Close Accounts' screen

ATTN Backup your e-mails and/or addresses just to be sure!!

7:
Now press 'Close Account' (your account will NOT be lost!! Read the
following steps if you don't believe me )

8:
Now go back to hotmail.com and log in with your old e-mail address and password

9:
Now you will get a message that your 'Reserved Account' has been activated.

DONE!

Or not?

Your 'Inbox' is now 25mb instead of the former 2mb or the 250mb I promised you.
If all went right, your e-mails and addresses will all still be there!

But why 25mb you ask?

You get an e-mail from hotmail.com:

Quote:
You may notice that your storage meter for your e-mail inbox only says
25 MB instead of 250 MB. Please allow us at least 30 days for us to
bump up your storage to the complete 250 MB.**** It is important to
check your inbox regularly during this time.

This means that you'll have an account for 25mb (still a lot more that
2, right?!) for about 30 days. Microsoft will bump it up to 250mb
after that!

10:

Make sure you'll keep the language, country, etc. settings as they are now.
After /Microsoft/hotmail bumps the 25mb to 250mb, you can change
everything back to as it was (the language you prefer!).

So don't forget to regularly check your Inbox.
And don't forget: This does NOT mean you have an unlimited account!!
Your account will still be subject to deactivation after being idle for 30 days!

Thanks for replies. Ccovich, the data is already zipped/compressed. Mugsgame, I have sent a copy of your reply to the sender, who is a bit more au fait with techy stuff than I, so he may be able to do as you suggest. The data is sensitive, but unlikely to be of interest to anyone but myself!

roxy, I've sent you an invite. :)

Vanilla et al, Google is planning to launch Gdrive soon — it may be of interest. In the meantime, here are [broken link removed] lists of currently available alternatives (none of which I've tried personally).

As has been posted, its just not practical to mail large files >5mb , although there are ways around the 10mb file limit in gmail. Wanna know how? googles youre friend :) (some of the answer is in Dr Ms link)

All of which would involve sharing your gmail account details with the sender, which is why I didn't mention them.

Going to the races.

Thanks again to DrM and MugsGame, I've decided on an old fashioned, tried and tested method of meeting the sender and taking a USB key with the file on it! Was trying to find a way around it because the sender is in Listowel, and as everyone knows ( :rolleyes: ), the races are on, so it will be a bit jammed. Still, as I HAVE to, anyone have any tips?

Plenty going here too if anyone needs one. PM with your email and I'll sort you out.

Back