George Hook

How you could read that
Because those are the words that were used!

When my children are out I don't tell them that every stranger is going to try to kidnap them and rape them but I do tell them to be careful around strangers.
Ergo - if you are 'careful' around 'strangers' you will avoid that risk.

So far as rape is concerned (and that is what we are discussing here), in the overwhelming majority of cases of rape is not 'strangers' that hold the risk, but people who are known.

So George Hook didn't toe the PC line and now everyone is calling for his head.
I think he's a opinionated windbag and don't really like him but the hysteria and over reaction to him saying, in a rather hamfisted manner, "don't put yourself in harm's way" is just ridiculous.
Mary Coughlan's actions in refusing to go in the Station and saying she did it for wemmen everywhere is puke inducing.
I have two daughters and I'll certainly be saying the same thing to them that George said when they are older; if something bad like that happens it won't be your fault but please be careful and don't put yourself in harms way.
Have to agree with you there purple, total overreaction regarding George Hook..

Ergo - if you are 'careful' around 'strangers' you will avoid that risk.
Clearly you have a problem understanding logic Thirsty. Nowhere was it stated that being careful would completely avoid the risk.

Do you think that by wearing a seat belt while driving I consent to other drivers crashing into me (even if they know me)?
Do you think that by advising others to wear their seat belt I am saying that it is their fault if other motorists crash into them?

I don't think George was criticising her for being careless. Rather he was suggesting that given the way she was behaving what did she expect. And by the way the jury agreed, so yes the bash George bandwagon is OTT.

That video (forget its blindingly obvious message) is about the most extreme example of PC obsession I have seen. It portrayed as many same sex situations as the traditional set up. It portrayed mixed race situations. It even portrayed a man being exploited by a woman whilst in a drunken sleep.

Givus a break:(

"he was suggesting that given the way she was behaving what did she expect"

Quite. Blame the woman and not the rapist.

"It portrayed as many same sex situations as the traditional set up. It portrayed mixed race situations. It even portrayed a man being exploited by a woman whilst in a drunken sleep."

Do you think that rape cannot happen in these contexts?

Reactions: ali
Ok purple, so explain to me why do you suggest being 'careful' around 'strangers' is important in this context (rape).

"It portrayed as many same sex situations as the traditional set up. It portrayed mixed race situations. It even portrayed a man being exploited by a woman whilst in a drunken sleep."

Do you think that rape cannot happen in these contexts?
Thirsty we see adverts advising us not to drink and drive. Thankfully we have not yet got to the situation where the message has to be illustrated for each section of the LGBTIQxxx community and any other minority you might be having, albeit the message is equally valid for them.

The video could have achieved its (b.o.) message by concentrating on the by far most common occurrence of this abuse in our society viz. a white male exploiting a white female.

As to a woman raping a man in his sleep, I'd say about as rare as a chimpanzee committing same act.

I don't understand your objection; the point being made is that consent is essential in all contexts. They are cartoon stick figures after all! :)

Edit typo

Ok purple, so explain to me why do you suggest being 'careful' around 'strangers' is important in this context (rape).
If that's all you can pluck out of my last series of posts can I take it that you agree with the rest of them?

I don't understand your objection; the point being made is that consent is essential in all contexts. They are cartoon stick figures after all! :)

Edit typo
Nobody is arguing that consent is not required. Why do you keep bringing it up?

If I've misunderstood your warning to be careful around strangers, can you explain?

Nobody is arguing that consent is not required. Why do you keep bringing it up?
A. Because we are discussing rape
And
B. The reply you quoted was in response to a poster who objected to the variety of relationships depicted in the cartoon. An objection I don't understand.

A. Because we are discussing rape
That doesn't explain why you are bring it up all the time. Nobody is arguing against that point. Everyone accepts that consent is required.

The reply you quoted was in response to a poster who objected to the variety of relationships depicted in the cartoon. An objection I don't understand.
So?

If I've misunderstood your warning to be careful around strangers, can you explain?
Sure; I tell my kids to be careful around strangers because there is a remote chance that the stranger might wish them harm. I tell them to be careful in order to further minimise that remote risk.
That's the context of George Hook's comments. He wasn't talking about rape by family members or, the highest risk group, the non-biological live in partner of the mother of young children.

"...can I take it that you agree with the rest..."
No.

Okay then, can you comment on this?

No, it is common sense to avoid potentially dangerous situations. "Potentially" being the operative word.
When I park my car in the street I don't think that everyone who passes it will steal from it but I still lock the door.
When I go to the ATM I don't think everyone in the queue will try to see my PIN and steal my card but I still shield the keypad from view.
When I go out to work I don't think everyone who passes my house will try to break in but I make sure to close the front door.
When I go out for the evening I don't think everyone will try to mug me but I don't get blind drunk and stumble around the streets on my own.
When my children are out I don't tell them that every stranger is going to try to kidnap them and rape them but I do tell them to be careful around strangers.

Do you understand?

Back