FTB seeks to Buy to Let in : Tallaght or Clondalkin or Clonee or Clonsilla

Re: Tallaght or Clondalkin or Clonee or Clonsilla

I too would disagree as some nice houses,some facilities and not difficult to sell.A friend did just recently and at a good price.The bus service isn't as frequent as it could be is only issue I can think of and yes for work west Dublin/Meath would suit as traffic to town etc is difficult

Hello Everyone,

I'm a FTB,Looking to buy for rent out.My limit is 300,000.I have a limited options, Tallaght(Swiftbrook,Sundale&Ardmore),Clondalkin(Cherrywood,St john),Clonee, Clonsilla and Tyrrelstown

Any suggestions! Quiet confused!

Nearly every house in sundale is up for sale and for obvious reasons... residents of this estate appear in the tallaght echo nearly every week under the court cases section... The latest... some bloke had his case thrown out for trying to run over his ex in a car...lovely

Tyrrelstown near Blanch is a kip. It is a non-national backwater with houses that you will never be able to sell. Avoid at all costs.

I think Tyrellstown is a very nice place, good shops in the town centre and a nice cafe. It also has lots of community events organised by residents - seems to have good community spirit. Check out for more info.

Last edited:

Why would this happen just to Tyrrelstown as opposed to anywhere else in D.15

If I was buying to rent I would probably go for Tallaght and try to get a house near the hospital/college/square, I would imagine there is a lot of rental potential there. Or what about Citywest. Good value to be had there at the moment, also they have the new shopping centre and its v close to Tallaght (the Square and the Hosp) and there is a luas line proposed up there.
I used to live in Clonee, I thought it was a nice area but too far from any decent bus route and the train station would was too far a walk and parking is an absolute nightmare so if I were renting I know that I would not choose there as public transport is a disaster. Well thats my tuppence worth.

If I was buying to rent I would probably go for Tallaght and try to get a house near the hospital/college/square, I would imagine there is a lot of rental potential there.

Precisely - around springfield, houses let in a matter of days. In fact with a property I had I let it two years ago on the first day and same happened just this week with new tenants. And rents are very good there relative to price of the property

I think you have to be near a trainline, or luas DART etc. A lot of D.15 isn't.

I recently bought an investment property in Tyrrelstown. I had it rented within weeks of receiving the keys. Rent is very strong and climbing. So don,t write off Tyrrelstown so quickly. Huge development planned for the area e.g commercial outlets , expanding corporate park on its doorstep ( potential tenants) and a huge infrastructure improvement underway as we write. And there is value to be had there at the moment because of panic sellers.

Thank you very much for all your advise and precious time.now i have 3 houses 1-springfield,firhouse,St john(clondolkin). i put offers on them already.
wish me luck in the house hunting to get the best deal possible.
thanks again

The problems with Tyrrelstown -
1 Very high density housing
2 On the flight path in to Dublin airport. You will be woken at 6am to the sound of jumbo jets flying in (unless you get used to it)
3 Houses for sale everywhere. Nothing selling.
4 In the middle of nowhere. Beside the seedier parts of Blanch and Mulhuddart.
5 Lots of anti-social behaviour in Tyrrelstown village.
6 Once the builders have sold all the new houses in Cruise Park, the security patrol firm will leave the estate leaving it at the mercy of Corduff and Mulhuddart
7 The off licence has closed down indefinitely and the pub Cruisers is full of trouble makers
8 The nearest police station is in Blanchardstown village - a fair distance away

The plus sides - Superquinn and Lidl. A lovely restaurant called Aurora and a 4 star hotel within walking distance called The Park Plaza.

My girlfriend lived there and I was up there quite a bit. She sold up and moved on a few months ago. She was one of the lucky ones. You wouldn't sell a house there now. I'd say 25% of houses are for sale in Tyrrelstown at the moment...

I have lived in Tyrrelstown for the last 5 years and am very happy there, have had no bad experiences other than the odd house warming party at the start.
Rents in Tyrrelstown are very high, just look at Daft.ie, so seems to be enough demand.
I have lived in Walkinstown, Tallaght and Lucan and am Happy in Tyrrelstown and cant see myself moving for a while.
There are also a lot of professional people living in Tyrrelstown.

Now to your points.

1 Almost all new estates are high density.

2 You dont even notice it after a couple of weeks.

3 Two of my neighbours had there houses for sale in the last 6 months both houses had sold signs put on them within 3 months, this seem to be the norm, there was a hold everywhere before the announcement with regards to stamp duty after FF got back in, now houses seem to be selling well again.

4 Beside nowhere? 5 mins to Blanch shopping centre, down the road from Blanch corporate park (PayPal) and Blanch IT, 5 mins to the national aquatic centre, 10 mins to Blanch village, all by car, about 15 shops, 2 takeaways, a pub, 3 restaurants (including pub restaurant), medical centre all in Tyrrelstown its self. Most new estates and a lot of old estates are close to what you call "seedier parts" this is just a fact of life.

5 Personally in the 5 years I have lived here I have not seen any "anti-social behaviour in Tyrrelstown village" and I do be in the village a lot, yes there is the odd car robbed every now and again and some houses have been robbed, but no more than anywhere else. And dont forget there are 3000+ houses and apartments in Tyrrelstown.

6 The part of Tyrrelstown im living in there has been no security for at least 3 years and I have not witnessed any big change in the area. The security are only concerned with there small part of Tyrrelstown were there is still building going on and dont come near the vast part of the area.

7 The off license, from my understanding was closed down due to money troubles, any time ive been in the pub have never seen any trouble, have heard of some but that happens in all pubs.

8 It takes me about 10 mins to get to Blanch police station, so it would probably take a Garda car 5 mins (if there not busy).

I know of a house in Tyrrelstown was on the market for a full year and they had to take a drop of €60k to sell in the end.
Big deal. Just last week they were talking on the news about a house that had to drop half a million off the price to try and sell. I guess someone in Tyrrelstown overvalued their house too. You did say they sold in the end though which would suggest that houses are selling in Tyrrelstown.
If houses are selling well, why are there SO MANY for sale signs all over the place that have been there for ages ?
How often do you drive through to see these for sale signs up for ages? On my drive to work I pass for sale signs that seem to be up for ages in all parts of Dublin but they're not necessarily the same houses. Maybe the seemingly constant For Sale signs are neighbours seeing how quickly the house next door went and deciding to cash in too.

Having lived in most of the places already mentioned in this thread and now a resident of Tyrrelstown I can do nothing but laugh at AllyDicks posts.
For starters, the area is not patrolled by a private security firm keeping the marauding hordes at bay and as soon as they leave it will be like the sacking of Rome. The security patrol the area where the houses are currently under construction and where the equipment is stored, no more, no less.
As someone already has said, the off licence is closed due to the financial difficulties the owners ran into, hardly the fault of Tyrrelstown or any other around it. The pub seldom has trouble, a couple of rowdies now and agan but it's not somewhere you'd see a fight every Friday night. And as for the anti social behaviour he talks about in Tyrrelstown Village, if he thinks there's trouble in the village I can only picture Allydicks as some sort of scardy cat who jumps at his own shadow, the place is perfectly fine, I would go as far as saying there's less trouble there than in most other shoppings complexes.
His claim that 25% of houses are up for sale also gives me another laugh, and those that are up for sale aren't selling, all simply not true. Yes, there's many houses for sale but that's the same in every new area in the country but they are selling. And he may want to read the papers to see that country wide there is a slowdown so please excuse the area if a house takes a few weeks to sell.
Blanchardstown Village, a fair bit away ? Ok, I was a little harsh in calling him a scardy cat, Miss Daisy I think is more appropriate if he thinks Blanchardstown village is a fair bit way.

But maybe he is right after all, we're all just naive and have a siege mentality in prepartion for what happens when our "private security" firm leaves us at the mercy of those around us.

Ok, I've stopped laughing now at the comments from Alleydick so I'll make a few comments of my own.

1. I lived in Tyrrelstown for 5 years and in those 5 years I didn't see 1 bit of trouble. Nothing.
  2. In those 5 years I never once saw security Patrolling the estate. Not once. Any security in the estate is there for the builders to 'protect' the building sites.
  3. After a couple of weeks of living there I didn't even notice the planes anymore and I think there was 1 Jumbo that comes in on a Saturday afternoon. NEVER heard one at night and in 5 years I was NEVER woken by planes.
  4. I spent plenty of time around the the Village/Town Centre between going to the shops, having a bite to eat or going for a drink and never witnessed any anti-social behaviour. Some kids kicking a ball about is about the highest level of disruption I noticed. Yes, there have probably been a few incidents over the years but they are few and far between and nothing out of the ordinary for an estate with 3000+ houses/apartments.
  5. Drank in the pub a good bit and never witnessed any trouble. There have been a few incidents alright but that's nothing new when it comes to pubs and a lot less then most places.
  6. I've only recently sold (building a house back home) and had no trouble selling. First buyers pulled out and had new buyers lined up nearly straight away. Only delay was because of the election and the buyers waiting to see the outcome because of stamp duty.
  7. I played with the local footy team and met a lot of decent people. These same people have set up underage teams and the teams are flourishing. There is a great community spirit with annual events organised for the kids and adults.
So, overall I was VERY happy in Tyrrelstown, had no trouble and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to other people. So Alleydick, keep your 'opinions' to yourself if you haven't a clue what you're talking about!!

Of course you are going to recommend it to people. You don't want anyone bad mouthing where you live. You are terrified of negative equity. I don't blame you for worrying about that !

Did you not read lfcfan's post at all? They HAVE SOLD their house already.

AD You obviously have an axe to grind about Tyrrelstown and non nationals, and gettos etc. Not sure where you are going with the latter comments, and you've not clarified them when asked either. Just repeated them. Tyrrelstown in my experience is no different than the other areas mentioned, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Clonee or Clonsilla. You've not clarified how Tyrrelstown is different either.

Theres only one place on AAM you can discuss the Irish property market and its in the this http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=64538 thread. Theres enough coverage in the general media and on other sites to illustrate that Tyrrelstown is not immune or indeed an exception to the national trends. Repeating the same point over and over without adding anything new, doesn't give it more credence. Gives it less credibility tbh.

Having never been in Tyrrellstown I can't express an opinion on the area itself, however I do know this -my friends sister sold her house there recently. Went sale agreed quite soon after putting the house for sale and then a month later buyers pulled out. She then went sale agreed again less than a month later. That seems impressive to me in a market where houses everywhere are taking months to sell. She didn't have to drop her price either to get the sale.....

Tyrrelstown is a non-national backwater which will be a ghetto in about three years.
Do you have figures from the CSO or anywhere other than your own imagination to back you up on that ridiculous non-national backwater claim? Have you maybe done a house to house headcount? When were you last in Tyrrelstown anyway? Didn't your girlfriend move out a few months ago?
Houses are not selling.
And yet you already posted about someone who sold a house and you say your girlfriend sold up just a few months ago proving this claim to be rubbish.

Did the second buyer end up buying the house ?
They started the post off saying their friend's sister sold the house so if the second buyers didn't then they attracted a third very easily.
There are a lot of "tyre kickers" around this weather. Weekend snoopers who go around looking at houses with no intention of buying unless they get a serious bargain...
Are you having difficulty selling a property that you have such vast experience of these tyre kickers? Where are you trying to sell? Maybe if you had bought in Tyrrelstown you'd have sold by now.

Back