FTB seeks to Buy to Let in : Tallaght or Clondalkin or Clonee or Clonsilla

M

mero2002

Hello Everyone,

I'm a FTB,Looking to buy for rent out.

My limit is 300,000. I have a limited options, Tallaght (Swiftbrook, Sundale & Ardmore), Clondalkin (Cherrywood, St john), Clonee, Clonsilla and Tyrrelstown

Any suggestions! Quiet confused!

Re: Tallaght or Clondalkin or Clonee or Clonsilla

Mate moved out of Cherrywood as my other mate I see more often told me he found it too rough.

Basically dont know those parts of Tallaght are they near town centre and square etc or where?

I hear Clonee is an awful long way out tho never been there only seen it on map and if traffic was bad and you're not using public transport....

Tyrelstown is in westmeath right? Surely if working in Dub wouldnt commute from there everyday??

Dont know exactly how far Clonsilla is out but its far enough looking at the map. Wouldnt be in a rush to buy as far out as the last three places you mention as they are the ones going to be hit hardest by the drops in price along with the vastly overpriced 'posh' areas.

Give it time and you'll get bargains by all accounts if you really want to move somewhere that far out imo.

People in this country are in such a rush to throw away all their hard earned cash on crazily overpriced property its just lunacy imo!

I'm not looking to move out, I live in D4 and quiet happy here,l ooking for investment and a raise in the capital over 5 years. will rent out, (sundale,swiftbrook and ardmore) new houses launched on 1998 around £90 K are close to city west and very close to jobstown.and will be a proposed luas station 2008 may be. thanks

...I hear Clonee is an awful long way out tho never been there only seen it on map and if traffic was bad and you're not using public transport.... Tyrelstown is in westmeath right? Surely if working in Dub wouldnt commute from there everyday?? Dont know exactly how far Clonsilla is out but its far enough looking at the map. ...

I'd say the majoirty of people in those areas do work in Dublin judging by the traffic that comes in from them. Of course theres a train you can get too. 40 mins into town, regular enough if overcrowded.

Are you sure you are thinking things through - if you are a FTB and buy a property for investment you loose the FTB tax grant which is €133 pp pm - also would the property give a good yeild in a short space of time - 5 years. There are other options open to investors - take commercial property for example...

I presume the OP means Tyrellstown near Blanchardstown not the one in Westmeath???

sorry didnt realise there was one near Blanch too.

In response to the opening poster again I think you've missed the both with capital appreciation at this stage the boom is clearly over, i.e. rises the way they were.

Also had a friend living near Jobstown where he bought his first house in a place called suncroft. In teh few months he lived there he was broken into two or three times forget whihc it was and also had his car stolen and destroyed found a few days afterwards. I am not saying everyone there is bad or anything like that but there seem to be a lot of problems like that for him I didnt think anywhere had that frequency of those kind of incidents these days until he moved there to be honest.

Just a few things to think about. And to agree with the other poster who said it I think you should go back to the drawing board imho.

You're thinking of Tyrellspass, Co. Westmeath.

In response to the opening poster again I think you've missed the both with capital appreciation at this stage the boom is clearly over, i.e. rises the way they were.

I read over the weekend about a new property development in Dublin (apartments, I can't recall the name of the development) which have nearly sold out. A spokesperson for the developer said that 80% of the purchasers were investors. Haven't they heard the boom is over - or are there now 'buying opportunities' to be had ?

Btw did you read the following before you think about going ahead with any of these ideas? [broken link removed]

Clonsilla (if near the station) has good if v crowded rail line in place at the moment, but projected for the future

I read over the weekend about a new property development in Dublin (apartments, I can't recall the name of the development) which have nearly sold out. A spokesperson for the developer said that 80% of the purchasers were investors. Haven't they heard the boom is over - or are there now 'buying opportunities' to be had ?

Thats all very vague??? Plus how they can they know for sure how many are investors, take their word for it (tho I doubt they asked eack of the buyers that question)????

i dont think so in response to your last question I see one beds still going for 360K in some places and I am sure more in other places! How can that be value for money, plus I also suspect developers were for a long time keeping prices up by holding on to newly built homes as some developments I have seen and mentioned their prices above looked largely unoccupied foir a long time.

There is no value for money anywhere at the mo in Ireland imho, developers are taking advantage of peoples crazy desire to spend all their hard earned cash on anything in this country and I dont blame them as after all they're in the business of making profits. Only we can bring the prices down to reasonable levels by not being as eager to buy any home.

There is no value for money anywhere at the mo in Ireland imho, developers are taking advantage of peoples crazy desire to spend all their hard earned cash on anything in this country and I dont blame them as after all they're in the business of making profits. Only we can bring the prices down to reasonable levels by not being as eager to buy any home.

This is going wildly off topic now but there is value to be had in Ireland at the moment. You just have to haggle with the developer a bit. Worked for us.

Clonsilla (if near the station) has good if v crowded rail line in place at the moment, but projected for the future

Dont hold your breath for anything to happen quick in this country especially if the predicted bad times come to pass:eek:

This is going wildly off topic now but there is value to be had in Ireland at the moment. You just have to haggle with the developer a bit. Worked for us.

You'd want to haggle some amount in the areas mentioned by the OP to get a good deal imho

Also had a friend living near Jobstown where he bought his first house in a place called suncroft. In teh few months he lived there he was broken into two or three times forget whihc it was and also had his car stolen and destroyed found a few days afterwards. I am not saying everyone there is bad or anything like that but there seem to be a lot of problems like that for him I didnt think anywhere had that frequency of those kind of incidents these days until he moved there to be honest.

There is a world of a difference between different parts of tallaght. If you want to avoid the situations described above, avoid sundale, suncroft etc, and concentrate maybe around Springfield, but you will have to pay more though.

I'm not familiar with some of the estates mentioned, so I cant give an opinion on which is the best.

However, if this is an investment property that you intend to rent out, and you are not a professional landlord with your own maintenance crews, I'd go for whichever area has the least vandalism/crime. Remember that, as the landlord, you'll be the person who gets the call at 4am in the morning from a tenant wanting smashed front window to be replaced asap (at your cost).

Tyrrelstown near Blanch is a kip. It is a non-national backwater with houses that you will never be able to sell. Avoid at all costs.

Not entirely sure what you mean about the backwater comment.

Hardly a kip. I would say its a better area than some if not most of the areas mentioned in this thread. But you've a lot of traffic to get through to get out of it, as its a good bit behind some massive estates.

That pretty much sums up the other areas too. Tallaght, Clondalkin, Clonee or Clonsilla IMO. Unless you are cherry picking a particular good development in those areas.

Probably all over Dublin theres a lot of property for sale for 6 months and not moving, and a lot of areas are slowly getting rougher. That said large parts of D.15 have always been rough. That hasn't changed. I don't think I'd invest in any of these areas at the moment. Unless you got a very remarkable deal on a very good property.

Back