Ulster Former First Active now Ulster Bank Customer

I came across the following statement from the CCPCs website on another post; I’ve highlighted in bold the phrase that is particularly relevant to our cases - so why are we still waiting to get our trackers back from Ulster Bank??!!

“At the end of a fixed rate term, your lender will write to you and outline your options, which may include:

• moving to a standard variable rate
  • fixing for another term, perhaps one, three or five years
  • moving to a tracker rate – but only if this was offered to you at the time you signed up for the fixed rate. Look at the documentation your lender sent you when you signed up to a fixed rate, as this will detail what your interest rate will revert to after the fixed rate term ends. If a tracker mortgage was one of the options, then your lender must offer you the tracker rate, even if they are no longer widely available. If you do not have the documentation, contact your lender and ask for a copyIf you are unhappy with the options your lender is offering you when your fixed rate term ends or you feel that your options were not explained fully, you can make a complaint.”

Hi Brendan, yes I did; the fixed rate agreement for First Active customers states:
"when the fixed rate period as selected by me/us ends, the mortgage will transfer to a standard variable rate mortgage (not linked to the ECB) unless I/we request a new fixed rate or transfer the mortgage to the prevailing tracker rate at the time of transfer"

...which myself & other posters did, to be told it was not an option as they no longer did tracker mortgages

SAR update

Just got a package from UB via courier this morning, containing copies of my UB mortgage documents.
Haven’t been through it yet to see if it has all the documents I requested

Brendan. For clarity the earlier wording re the CCPC's website is not the first active wording. I agree that the entire wording should be read together.

However it is the banks who are misrepresenting the letters, selectively extracting, misrepresenting a letter as a tracker removal letter when it never says anything that could be remotely construed as implying that it indicated the loss of a tracker. Far from it. It provided as one of the options a tracker, albeit surrounded by vague language which was never defined such as prevailing, etc.

And in the banks response to the FSO in my case it actually inserted the word standard in front of variable rate on two occasions to say that the letter said standard variable rate when it actually said variable rate. These are fundamental differences as a tracker is a variable rate product linked to the ecb rate.

I want to be careful with language used here but if someone tries tell me that a bank made an innocent mistake in misrepresenting to the FSO on two occasions the letter I signed then I know what I think. And it's not innocent, it's at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. I won't use the word here.

It's a disgrace, I have highlighted this aspect of my case to the central bank twice and each time got a generic response pointing me back in the direction of the bank. Waste of time. I have sat patiently for years expecting this to get resolved.

The banks in their behaviour in denying people who had a genuine grievance fair treatment have brought a plague of complaints down on themselves, probably some (many??) of which are of a me too and superfluous nature.

I have no sympathy for the banks or the people in the banks who committed these wrongs, many the result of deliberate decisions, and many orchestrated in my opinion to circumvent the written agreements. It is critical that the banks, and the people involved are held to account.

Far from legal and other advisors assisting the banks and allegedly acting as reviewers to ensure compliance with central bank review guidelines, it should be the Garda fraud squad investigating the banks and the people involved. I am not saying this lightly, I understand the seriousness of it for them but it seems to me that something of this nature is required to get to the truth. If they have moved employer that is no reason not to interview them, if their name is on a file where there is a legitimate reason to review.

It is clear that the banks have a serious case to answer yet they are being treated far too leniently and allowed to call the shots when it comes to progress, timelines, etc. In my case the bank distorted, misrepresented and twisted the langugue for self serving purposes, not to mention the twice convenient insert of an extra word in my letter, and of course a word that suited the Bank when imo they knew or ought to have known that the letter I signed gave me the legal right to a tracker return.

And we all have to wait while the banks continue to pontificate, etc. How long can can this farce continue?

Last edited:
I am a former fa customer now with ub. Got a letter last June to say we were one of those effected.and that Our July mortgage payment was reduced by 100 euro and has continued.
I’m calling the helpline every week to see if they have anything further on our case but as of yesterday we are still part of an ongoing investigation!

Brendan. For clarity the earlier wording re the CCPC's website is not the first active wording. I agree that the entire wording should be read together.

However it is the banks who are misrepresenting the letters, selectively extracting, misrepresenting a letter as a tracker removal letter when it never says anything that could be remotely construed as implying that it indicated the loss of a tracker. Far from it. It provided as one of the options a tracker, albeit surrounded by vague language which was never defined such as prevailing, etc.

And in the banks response to the FSO in my case it actually inserted the word standard in front of variable rate on two occasions to say that the letter said standard variable rate when it actually said variable rate. These are fundamental differences as a tracker is a variable rate product linked to the ecb rate.

I want to be careful with language used here but if someone tries tell me that a bank made an innocent mistake in misrepresenting to the FSO on two occasions the letter I signed then I know what I think. And it's not innocent, it's at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. I won't use the word here.

It's a disgrace, I have highlighted this aspect of my case to the central bank twice and each time got a generic response pointing me back in the direction of the bank. Waste of time. I have sat patiently for years expecting this to get resolved.

The banks in their behaviour in denying people who had a genuine grievance fair treatment have brought a plague of complaints down on themselves, probably some (many??) of which are of a me too and superfluous nature.

I have no sympathy for the banks or the people in the banks who committed these wrongs, many the result of deliberate decisions, and many orchestrated in my opinion to circumvent the written agreements. It is critical that the banks, and the people involved are held to account.

Far from legal and other advisors assisting the banks and allegedly acting as reviewers to ensure compliance with central bank review guidelines, it should be the Garda fraud squad investigating the banks and the people involved. I am not saying this lightly, I understand the seriousness of it for them but it seems to me that something of this nature is required to get to the truth. If they have moved employer that is no reason not to interview them, if their name is on a file where there is a legitimate reason to review.

It is clear that the banks have a serious case to answer yet they are being treated far too leniently and allowed to call the shots when it comes to progress, timelines, etc. In my case the bank distorted, misrepresented and twisted the langugue for self serving purposes, not to mention the twice convenient insert of an extra word in my letter, and of course a word that suited the Bank when imo they knew or ought to have known that the letter I signed gave me the legal right to a tracker return.

And we all have to wait while the banks continue to pontificate, etc. How long can can this farce continue?

Gerard123, any update on your complaint to FSO?

Hopefully there will be some good news coming as a proposal by Senator Kieran O'Donnell to get First Active in for questioning at the committee was passed yesterday, suggest you email him directly.

Hey I am in the same boat as everyone else on tracker in 05 then fixed 07 for 3 years was not allowed back on tracker same wording as above in my letter Do you think we have a case ...rang ub and said they are still reviewing!

Any former fa customers sorted yet? We have heard nothing but did get the paperwork we requested. Not once in all the paperwork is tracker mortgage mentioned. We Seem to be on a stream of fixed rates through the years.

@Deenie, am I right in thinking that you have had a tracker rate restored i.e. UB have identified you as “impacted”, and you are awaiting redress & compensation?

From the posts on here, @corktim is the only other poster I can recall who is former FA that has been confirmed as impacted and has had a tracker rate restored- the rest of us are still waiting for the first step, which is for UB to acknowledge that we are impacted & to restore a tracker interest rate, never mind redress and compensation.

Many/most of us were originally on a tracker rate, fixed for a short period and were not allowed to return to a tracker rate afterwards. Padraig Kissane spoke about our cases when he presented to the oireachtas Finance committtee in the last few weeks

I think we will have a fight on our hands to get them to confirm we are impacted to be honest not sure whether to represent myself or get someone to do the fighting for me

Yes we got our letter last June to say we were impacted and from our July mortgage payment our payments reduced by 100 euro.
We have heard nothing since. We were never on a tracker and it was never offered to us.

Back