First Active e-savings account

Yes, the card reader and PIN.

You then follow a boring procedure to enable it.

And then nothing, that's when the new gadget interest ends. :)

As others mentioned there's not much that can be done with it at the moment.

Yes, the card reader and PIN.

You then follow a boring procedure to enable it.

And then nothing, that's when the new gadget interest ends. :)

As others mentioned there's not much that can be done with it at the moment.
Not true - you can enable your account for use with the card/reader and then when you perform certain operations (e.g. transfers out for one thing) you will need to use the card/reader to authorise them.

Not true - you can enable your account for use with the card/reader and then when you perform certain operations (e.g. transfers out for one thing) you will need to use the card/reader to authorise them.

I just scheduled a €60 payment out to my UB current account to be made on January 30th without the use of the reader. I think it will only "[broken link removed]" ask for authorisation for this kind of transaction. I've yet to have cause to use it since enabling it.

The transfer that I did was not a scheduled one and I was asked to confirm using the card/reader.

Update: correction - I did a payment to an external (PTSB) account and not a transfer. Maybe that difference is significant?

I just tried an immediate payment and no prompt for reader. Given the "occasionally" (FA's word not mine) we're not necessarily observing inconsistent behaviour. I'm enabled for the reader as if I start to create a SO it prompts me for it.

Update: I've also got a normal FA demand account and I just bounced a euro back and forth between the eSavings and the demand account without being prompted for the reader.

OK - I did likewise and was not asked for card/reader authorisation this time. Odd - maybe the card/reader system knocks off at 5PM? ;)

You will get the card reader in a few days. Then you will get the initial PIN for the card/reader. Did you not read the earlier parts of this thread where all of this is already covered?

Hey, lighten up there Clubman. Why so tetchy :p

I think if you look back to the earlier days of this thread, I was instrumental, along with your good self, GeneralZod, Godfather and others, in clarifying the terms and conditions regarding the banded Interest Rate regime with this FA account.

In fact, I think we kicked up such a fuss that FA were forced to clarify the position on their web-site.

So indeed I have been paying attention, but every now and then we all need a little light relief and a sense of humour :D

Guys, pls correct me if I'm wrong but as I understood you can "plan" a scheduled withdrawal from the FA esaver but not a SO... Correct?:confused:

Godfather, yes that is correct. You can only plan a scheduled transfer within the next month so you have to log in every month to do it. You cannot create 6 separate scheduled transfers (not SOs) spread over 6 months to get around the restriction on no SOs from the eSavings account.

In case any of what I said above caused confusion I also have access to create SOs (but not from the eSavings account) because I've got a normal demand account with them.

I went to set one of these accounts up online (Im not a FA customer) - Just a question about the initial deposit.... Can this not be done by bank transfer? (form says cash/cheque) I rang them and said it had to be a cheque made out to myself???? (I don't have a cheque book) - person on the phone didnt fill me with confidence and didnt help much.

Also can you put just enter 0 as the standing order amount (i.e I dont to regularly save to the account)

I went to set one of these accounts up online (Im not a FA customer) - Just a question about the initial deposit.... Can this not be done by bank transfer?
Don't think so.
(form says cash/cheque) I rang them and said it had to be a cheque made out to myself???? (I don't have a cheque book)
I made the cheque out to "FA eSavings for a/c of ClubMan". Maybe you can send a draft or just bring cash to a branch?
Also can you put just enter 0 as the standing order amount (i.e I dont to regularly save to the account)
Yes.

Cheers Clubman,

so you can open these accounts in a branch? Thought maybe it could only be done online (maybe taking the "e-savings" part too far!!!!

If so then I might just pop into a branch- much easier.

I made the cheque out to "FA eSavings for a/c of ClubMan". Maybe you can send a draft or just bring cash to a branch?

When i rang on wednesday I asked should I make the cheque out to 'First Active plc'. Was told thats correct. yet more conflicting advice from their customer service!

I was just about to start reading through this whole post for pointers before i opened an account but could anyone summarise?

From what iv read so far
1. 5.22% apr on up to 15,000
2. Can only create an account with a cheque (payable to whom?) if you dont have an account with FA
3. I can transfer money online to and from the account (once opened) from any account.

Am i missing out on anything? how easy have people found it to open an account? A summation would be nice, in the meantime i'll be reading through the thread!!

due to apthy on my own part and also the fact that the difference between €14,000 with this account and the fa ecb account works out at around €72 per annum after dirt, I didn't bother opening this account earlier. However yesterday I decided to open one of these accounts and to be fair it took less than 10 mins start to finish.( very nearly opened a monthly saving account at the same time which would have been a mistake as between the transfer of €14,000 and the monthly deductions to the other savings scheme I would have made more than 4 transactions in a quarter thus reducing the interest on the ecb savings by .80% for this quarter and .20% for the whole year as the number of transactions would have exceeded 12)

1. 5.22% apr on up to 15,000
Technically I think it's 5.22% on up to €14,999.99!
2. Can only create an account with a cheque (payable to whom?) if you dont have an account with FA
See above.
3. I can transfer money online to and from the account (once opened) from any account.
To - I think so but haven't done it yet. From - definitely.
Am i missing out on anything? how easy have people found it to open an account? A summation would be nice, in the meantime i'll be reading through the thread!!
Bar the initial confusion about rates and processes which have now been cleared up it should be as easy as any other account to set up.

I can transfer online in both directions, to and from BOI!

Takes about 1-2 working days to travel for each direction.

Back