First Active e-savings account

Hello folks, I'm thinking of setting up an ESavings account and have already emailed a series of questions. One of the previous posts says the rate is gauranteed until 2009? Is this true?

The main driver for me here is Rabo reducing their rates and I usually save 1K per month. I usually have 3-5K in the account at all times with 1K being drip fed to my Ango Irish regular saver account every month (account reaches 2 year maturity in 7 months).

I've found the online process of this very easy (moving ~1K per month from my BOI current account to Rabo, standing order from Rabo to Anglo Irish every month and general website usage). From reading this thread, it seems that FA have got their act together after some initial hickups.

My plan is to open an FA account and move my savings there and set up a standing order for 1K to Anglo Irish every month. I will keep the Rabo account open with the minimum deposit of 1 euro. Is this a good idea or a lot more hassle than it's worth? Is this FA account worth it?

Thanks Clubman. I can't see it myself on their website. In your experience of this FA account, is it as easy to manage transfers as with Rabo as outlined in the opening post?

Okay after setting up a FA Regular Savings, applied for the eSavings via online banking:
Went smoothly enough as it picked up my existing details as an existing FA customer though was wondering if the following points could be cleared up(partly in due because they used some kind of generic form?):
-At the end of the online application I received an account number and sort code, though beforehand the application enforced an initial opening deposit... only option was "cash/cheque" though I thought you could take it from an existing FA account? Needless to say I didn't get any more details on how to make the initial deposit apart from agreeing to cash/cheque(don't allow you to say no)... no further action on this so without an actual deposit taken, is the account really opened.. having received account no.. etc?

To conclude my story with FA, looks like applying for the eSavings within online banking doesn't require an opening balance from an existing FA account or a cheque to be sent in(exception to that stated requirement in the FAQ page). Complete the online application, you immediately get the account number and sort code and wait ~one working day and it appears in your online profile. Quite painless and fast if you overlook some of the unnecessary details in the generic form.

Finally I saw to getting a payee added. Took five minutes max.
I used this number:
1850211575 + 2(Speak directly to FA telephone banking customer service)
Curiously I note that other people from previous posts were using a different number?

So happy days for now:).

I do not have an account with them, I submitted my details online on 20/12/2007, it was supposed that they should post me forms I am still waiting

is this delays coz of holidays?

Finally I saw to getting a payee added. Took five minutes max.
I used this number:
1850211575 + 2(Speak directly to FA telephone banking customer service)
Curiously I note that other people from previous posts were using a different number?
I hadn't used their online system since I opened the account a few months back. Just tried it today but couldn't remember my customer number. Called support and got it after answering the security questions. Logged in and enabled the card reader access to the account.Then called the number above later to add my PTSB current account as a payee. No problems doing any of this.

I do not have an account with them, I submitted my details online on 20/12/2007, it was supposed that they should post me forms I am still waiting

is this delays coz of holidays?
Most likely yes.

I hadn't used their online system since I opened the account a few months back. Just tried it today but couldn't remember my customer number. Called support and got it after answering the security questions. Logged in and enabled the card reader access to the account.Then called the number above later to add my PTSB current account as a payee. No problems doing any of this.

I was a bit disappointed that the card reader doesn't also enable you to set up payees yourself. The website looks like it's designed to facilitate this but it's not enabled. Not that big of a deal I suppose but if AIB and Rabo can do it I don't see why FA can't.

I was a bit disappointed that the card reader doesn't also enable you to set up payees yourself. The website looks like it's designed to facilitate this but it's not enabled. Not that big of a deal I suppose but if AIB and Rabo can do it I don't see why FA can't.

The ability to do this seems to be gone at Ulster Bank also which uses the same systems as First Active. It seems to come or go with no discernible rhyme or reason.

That's a shame. Prefer to be able to set these things up without having to talk to call centre staff if possible. Oh well, at least it's not as bad as PTSB who have to call you back about two hours later to confirm details and set things up. It's strange just how different procedures can be from one bank to another.

Oh well, at least it's not as bad as PTSB who have to call you back about two hours later to confirm details and set things up.
I think that this approach is good as a small additional layer of security when making changes to your account. I'm happy to trade a small amount of convenience for an increase in security in this case.

Hi guys, I got a bit lost... I've the card reader as well+card+PIN... If the log in is still done in the old way what's the card reader needed for sorry???:confused:

The card reader is used for authorising individual transactions. The login still happens the old way (using customer number plus digits from PIN plus characters from password).

Hi guys, I got a bit lost... I've the card reader as well+card+PIN... If the log in is still done in the old way what's the card reader needed for sorry???:confused:

Good question.

On the UB side I can still use the card/reader/PIN to amend and create standing orders but the T&Cs for the FA eSavings account don't allow this.

You need a normal demand account for SOs and DDs.

"Ocassionally" you may be asked to authorise an individual transaction, you are supposed to able to set up new payees too.

Thank you General+clubman, but yesterday I moved money from the FA esavings+ECB linked without any need for the card reader... Probably that will be needed for movements outside the FA accounts... Thank you for clarifying!:)

Thank you General+clubman, but yesterday I moved money from the FA esavings+ECB linked without any need for the card reader... Probably that will be needed for movements outside the FA accounts... Thank you for clarifying!:)
Did you enable your account for use with the card reader? If not the card reader is irrelevant until you do.

Hi Clubman, sorry I didn't do it... How can I enable it sorry? Are the instructions in the same link you sent?

Hi guys, I got a bit lost... I've the card reader as well+card+PIN... If the log in is still done in the old way what's the card reader needed for sorry???

Err...I never got any of the card reader stuff. Do you have to explicitly request it? Sounds like something that I will need eventually, so is it much trouble getting it up and running?

Back