Family Car -Suv or others Recommended

Good post and good advice. I'd add "and don't buy it new" to that. Buying new is a mugs game.

Hubby always says this especially for insurance purposes. Drops too much in value as soon as you drive it away from garage and won't get your full money back if its a write-off shortly aftewards. I've never actually checked out the figures but would wonder with the likes of the Hyundai deals (free servicing/scrappage/insurance) is it still such a bad idea?

You can select "new for new" policies in the case of a total write-off from some insurers. I've seen them advertised but can't comment as to cost or claiming.

You can select "new for new" policies in the case of a total write-off from some insurers. I've seen them advertised but can't comment as to cost or claiming.

Looked at those policies some years ago and at that stage they were working out as very expensive :(

I've never actually checked out the figures but would wonder with the likes of the Hyundai deals (free servicing/scrappage/insurance) is it still such a bad idea?
If a car had a 7 year warranty and you buy it second hand after 2 years you still have the remaining 5 years of the warranty. Same goes for any other deals.

If a car had a 7 year warranty and you buy it second hand after 2 years you still have the remaining 5 years of the warranty. Same goes for any other deals.

Hi Purple,

I'm not talking so much about warranty but so called 'freebies' like the free servicing etc. deals which don't carry over from owner to owner. So is it a false economy because presumably the car drops about €2/3 thousand on driving off forecourt and free servicing would be approx. €200 x 5 = €1,000? :(

i would prefer a saloon car to most so called SUV,s , bar you go for a toyota landcruiser , landrover discovery or range rover ( which are 60 k plus ) , you dont exactly get luxury

i would buy a second hand petrol ford mondeo , very reliable car , nice to look at and drive and for some reason , they dont hold their value well so very affordable

if you willing to spend more , best of that class is the honda accord , not near as plentiful however so might take a while unless you buy new

Dacia Duster is a nice car. Not sure is it officially a SUV but it looks like one anyway.
Cheap and probably won't lose as much value in depreciation as a more expensive car.
In the same family as Nissan and Renault.

dacia use twenty year old renault technology and parts

they are awful looking things , if you insist on buying new , i guess they are an ok buy , fairly reliable from what i hear

i would prefer a saloon car to most so called SUV,s , bar you go for a toyota landcruiser , landrover discovery or range rover ( which are 60 k plus ) , you dont exactly get luxury

i would buy a second hand petrol ford mondeo , very reliable car , nice to look at and drive and for some reason , they dont hold their value well so very affordable

if you willing to spend more , best of that class is the honda accord , not near as plentiful however so might take a while unless you buy new
I agree on your first points, though I'd go for a Mazda 6 over an Accord any day of the week.
I'd probably go for a Mondeo ahead of the Accord as well.

Mazda 6 are a lovely looking car but are quite small inside - similar price range but better car imho is a Volvo S60. As someone said earlier though, tbh in this range they are all good cars so it really comes down to personal preference.

Hubby always says this especially for insurance purposes. Drops too much in value as soon as you drive it away from garage and won't get your full money back if its a write-off shortly aftewards. I've never actually checked out the figures but would wonder with the likes of the Hyundai deals (free servicing/scrappage/insurance) is it still such a bad idea?
Be careful of the x year 'free servicing' type offers. It's not usually a service as we'd know it...more a basic check. I've discovered that to my cost the past couple of years with the Hyundai 5yr offer

Mazda 6 are a lovely looking car but are quite small inside - similar price range but better car imho is a Volvo S60. As someone said earlier though, tbh in this range they are all good cars so it really comes down to personal preference.
I like Volvo to look at but in my opinion they aren't great to drive. I haven't found the Mazda 6 small inside though I've only driven one a few times. What really struck me was the drive; way better than the Insignia (which is an all round rubbish car), the Passat (looks good inside and out, great built quality but boring to drive), or the Mondeo (I drive one and they are a nicer drive than the Passat, if not as well finished, and really big inside).
I also think the Mazda is by far the nicest looking of the cars in that bracket.

The Mazda6 is a classy looking car. Is there a reason they and Accords are not more popular? Are they more expensive than the others in their class?

Also, I think the best car in that class is the new Skoda Superb. It has it all really..

The Mazda6 is a classy looking car. Is there a reason they and Accords are not more popular? Are they more expensive than the others in their class?
They are a bit more expensive and they don't have the dealer network that the top sellers have. The Honda in particular. They are also more expensive to service but the Honda in particular will last forever.

Accord production was stopped in early 2015, and they weren't even pushing sales that much in 2014, hence not so popular. Great car though. They were very slow to bring them up to date with technology such as bluetooth, multimedia etc and that, an older man's car image and peoples lack of understanding that top quality costs a little bit more put buyers off.

Skoda Karoq
The replacement for my beloved Yeti, the car that set the standard for small SUVs. The overview of the Karoq in the current edition of AutoExpress doesn't say a whole lot yet, "platforms / architectures / stablemates" blah blah blah.

Back