Family Car -Suv or others Recommended

Think its a choice between the Seat Ateca and the Skoda Octiva. I like the look of the New Mazda CX-5 but the price put me off and will have other things to spend the money on

Re the Peugoet Tepee thanks but no thanks might suit others but not ourselves

Just need to find time to test drive and add up costs etc

The Ateca is a nice car to drive but a bit poky in the back. An Octavia estate might be the job. My kids say the Tepee is a Postman car and if I ever got one they'd stop travelling with me.

Reading these posts about Suv`s for junior and cars to accommodate all the essentials to go visit Grand-Ma makes me think how we ever managed bringing our own up, fitting the car seat, nappy bags, dropping them at sports events, take them on holidays abroad. Whether it be a Corsa, Corolla, Tiguan or what, we managed fine without child line knocking on our door.

Buy the best car you can afford, the one you like, the more money you spend, the more luxury's you will have. Its also worth noting, there are no bad cars out there these days. Apart from the small micro economy cars, all cater for isofix seats, and buggys etc. Its down to personal taste.

Tastes though, are also strange. Someone goes into a Peugeot Dealer and hands over good money for a Teepee, or that Fiat Doblo with the lights at the windscreen, I cant explain it, but someone wants it. We have also often seen the horrendous colours people choose, and say why, when they could, for the same money have chosen a "normal" popular colour.

For what its worth, your resale value on the Ateca will be awful, but then, its reflected in the purchase price.

For what its worth, your resale value on the Ateca will be awful, but then, its reflected in the purchase price.

Why do you think this? New enough model so could not see much if any second hand available, not looked to hard however

Although a very different animal from the cars you've looked at perhaps you should consider the [broken link removed]. It's the opposite of cool but at €20K new, with a 5 year warranty, low tax, 1.6 diesel, big boot and sliding rear doors for easy access, it might be worth a look. And no one will even want to steal it!

I love the look of that car but don't really like Peugeots. Have you got one?

I don't like Peugeots either - well French cars generally, having once owned a Renault Grand Scenic, which was murder. I don't have a Tepee, I have an monster 8-seater with sliding doors (best thing ever with kids) and a cavernous boot which is expensive to run but is like having a magic carpet . . but as we don't often fill it the days I'll change it in a couple of years and I'll certainly consider a new Tepee alongside a secondhand Alhambra and one or two others. I don't have a passion for cars, I'm just an A-to-B merchant concerned with practicality and cost.

Actually, having checked I see the Skoda is cheaper.!

It's all down to desire-ability though. There would be more punters looking to buy your 3 year old Octavia than a 3 year old Ateca when the time comes to sell, even if it were a better vehicle.

Actually, having checked I see the Skoda is cheaper.!

It's all down to desire-ability though. There would be more punters looking to buy your 3 year old Octavia than a 3 year old Ateca when the time comes to sell, even if it were a better vehicle.

Well if we do go down the PCP route we will either upgrade at the end or buy it out. Not sure how you determine re-sale value in relation to Octavia and Ateca but this will be something we will consider if buying

Well if we do go down the PCP route we will either upgrade at the end or buy it out.

I would have thought that resale value (and second- hand desirability) will still be a factor, whichever route.

For example, once upon a time if you bought a new Fiat it became difficult to change brand subsequently as any other brand dealership would offer a ridiculously low trade in value relative to a Fiat dealer - probably these days are gone (?). I am not commenting on the relative merits of any of the cars you are considering in this regard. But consider that you may want to change brand next time around.

I would have thought that resale value (and second- hand desirability) will still be a factor, whichever route.

For example, once upon a time if you bought a new Fiat it became difficult to change brand subsequently as any other brand dealership would offer a ridiculously low trade in value relative to a Fiat dealer - probably these days are gone (?). I am not commenting on the relative merits of any of the cars you are considering in this regard. But consider that you may want to change brand next time around.

Yes we do consider re sale value for all options. I am not a brand person VW have been my choice recently but not stuck to that. If we do go with PCP and that maybe us potentially stuck with that brand, correct?

All ahead of us :rolleyes:

Dacia Duster is a nice car. Not sure is it officially a SUV but it looks like one anyway.
Cheap and probably won't lose as much value in depreciation as a more expensive car.
In the same family as Nissan and Renault.

Dacia Duster is a nice car. Not sure is it officially a SUV but it looks like one anyway.
Cheap and probably won't lose as much value in depreciation as a more expensive car.
In the same family as Nissan and Renault.
Nissan; French build quality and Japanese design flair...
I'd go for a Ford, Toyota, Hyundai or VW first. If I was getting a French car I'd get a Citroen. Despite having owned an AX years ago (the worst car I ever had) I've driven new ones and they are very nice. They also rank highly on reliability indexes.

Irish gunner there is a huge thread from earlier in the year on PCP, read it if you dare! To answer your question though PCP does not tie you into a brand.

Re the cars you mention Skoda v Seat both are from the VAG group so really are made by the same people. Engines etc are common between the brands. I have two kids, both under 3 and I know that small SUV like the Seat would not be big enough in the boot department. Actually even when I had one child a car that size was a squeeze cause once you have the bassinet and buggy in the boot its full, you will be putting shopping on the back seat.

I would recommend a medium sized estate Octavia / Focus / Golf etc. The Octavia's interior space and boot is comparable and bigger in some cases then cars in a size class above like Mondeos / Passats etc but the same price as the Focus and Golfs.

Best advice, get out there and test drive as many as you can, decide on one, get three quotes and put your order in!

Good post and good advice. I'd add "and don't buy it new" to that. Buying new is a mugs game.
I agree. I would also add that you should check up north. I've done some investigation recently and thus far the cars seem to have lower mileage, higher spec and are about 1.5k cheaper after VRT compared to similar cars down south in the 12-15k price bracket.

I echo Bronte's comments. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would replace their car(s) just because a new baby was on the way, unless their current car is a 2-seater or so old that safety is a concern. I love cars myself and totally understand people wanting to change but to do so because a little person is coming along doesn't make any sense to me. Regarding buggies, I would stay clear of anything unwieldy. Friends of our bought a monster of a yoke for about 1,000 euro and cursed it all the time. The trick is to get junior into a stroller as soon as you can as life gets so much easier. It's totally understandable for anyone expecting their first child to get the best of everything, but ask anyone with a few kids and they'll all say DoneDeal!

If you are intent in changing the car, I would look for something that can handle the bashes and bruises that go with young kids and get something relatively cheap, big, safe and reliable. This to me would be a Toyota Avensis or similar.

Its not the fact that the baby is coming along we are getting a car we where planning on getting one anyway as both our cars close to 10 years of age. So I don't use it that much so decided to get a new car and one that can accommodate the arrival and not bust our backs putting stuff in and our wallets buying it.

So I just put it out there to get views and then as users say do a few tests and narrow it down and take it from there

Its not the fact that the baby is coming along we are getting a car we where planning on getting one anyway as both our cars close to 10 years of age. So I don't use it that much so decided to get a new car and one that can accommodate the arrival and not bust our backs putting stuff in and our wallets buying it.

So I just put it out there to get views and then as users say do a few tests and narrow it down and take it from there

Good stuff then. Best of luck with whatever you choose too. A colleague here used motorpoint.co.uk when importing. It's a very good site and all cars are nearly new with low mileage. The vrt.ie website is good too to help calculate the vrt due.

Last edited:
Back