"Energy Centre"

Discussion in 'Is this a scam?' started by dub_nerd, Mar 12, 2018.

1. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

Like "Firefighters", this is not a scam, just a very misleading cold-calling tactic. Guy at the door with a clipboard immediately announced he wasn't selling anything, just offering a free switcher service and a free energy review of heating, lighting etc. He raced out a spiel about SEAI grants, the tone of which would easily lead you to believe he was from some official body. I cut him off and asked him who he worked for. He said "The Energy Centre, we have 70% of SEAI grants" ... I can't swear those were the exact words, he was babbling it all out at a rate of knots. I asked if the energy centre was a commercial company and he eventually said yes. Told him I wasn't interested and shut the door.

2. gipimann

gipimann Frequent Poster

and 3 months on, they're still doing the same! I had a caller to the door the other night, similar spiel - "I'm not selling anything...". I saw the Energy Centre badge around his neck, and said I didn't need anything from them.

3. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

Had another one around the other night. Pleasant enough Indian guy... I always have that instinctive fear of appearing racist and want to explain that I dislike all cold callers equally, but I got over myself. It went exactly like this:

His opening gambit: "Who is your current electricity provider?"
    Me: "Who are you?"
    Him: "We're just doing a survey"
    Me: "I'm not interested in any survey"
    Him (looking crestfallen): "Who is your current electricity provider?..."
    Me (closing door): "Sorry, goodbye".

4. john luc

john luc Frequent Poster

just say I don't do buy at my front door before they speak their spile and then close the door.

5. peemac

peemac Frequent Poster

Classic phone scam by similar companies

"I'm calling on behalf of your energy supplier"

They then try to move on very quickly to discuss your rate.

So I asked "what is the name of the company" and he replies "I'm calling on their behalf "

And I ask, if you're calling on their behalf, you can tell me who they are.

"sorry, we can't do that under data protection"

Call ended.

Cork number of some high pressure utility sales company.