Key Post Electric Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Distance Driven 370km
Speeds 71km/h

Can I ask, I presume you consciously driving at this speed to max your distance?

I personally would get no joy from doing this to be sure I get to my destination. I drove the 55 e-tron yesterday, its an incredible car to drive, but again, I couldn't do driving Miss Daisy with it.

I do drive a Hybrid, and to keep it in EV mode, I will build up a nice following of traffic behind me, and no doubt infuriating them all. It is though, exceptional on fuel economy even with "normal" driving, and so getting the best of both worlds still. Normal driving 6Ltr/100 klms but have managed to achieve a magnificent 4.5/100 when I really put my mind to it, and, didn't care about the hold up i was creating for other road users, It was becoming an obsession to max fuel economy, exceptional still for a 2.5Ltr engine. And then I thought, flippen eck, let enjoy the ride, lifes too short.

Nearing destination with a 40Klm range would give me more stress than I need, after spending best part of 5 hours behind the wheel maximizing my distance, and hoping for a clear run with out any diversions etc.

The other thing that I often hear regarding the economics of driving a full EV, and saving the euros, is very often when you pull into a charging port on the motorway, you inevitably go inside to spend your Euros on overpriced coffee and sambos, and Mc Donald`s, We all have to eat and drink and stretch out legs on a long journey, but Id rather it was on my terms the a charging ports terms.

Battery electric vehicles represented 12% of September car sales in Ireland, up nearly 500% on September last year, and in a month that car sales overall have improved. Figures were certainly helped along by the arrival of Volkswagon’s ID.3 (electric Golf basically) model, but sales of all EVs were generally strong.

With increasing volumes like this, there should be a really meaningful secondhand market in these longer range EVs over the next couple of years.

Exciting times!

Last edited:
Battery electric vehicles represented 12% of September car sales in Ireland, up nearly 500% on September last year, and in a month that car sales overall have improved. Figures were certainly helped along by the arrival of Volkswagon’s ID.3 electric-Golf) model, but sales of all EVs were generally strong.

With increasing volumes like this there should be a really meaningful second hand market in these longer range EVs over the next couple of years.

Exciting times!
I hope I can get one before the ESB closes the last of their Peat fired Power Stations, just so I can say that I have a Peat powered car. :D

Stick to diesel and you wont have to worry about ESB or power etc....
You're not wrong, though you neglect to mention what you should worry about with Diesel. Fumes, maintenance, noise etc.

Not saying EVs are perfect, but diesel is far from *************************.

My annual mileage is approx 10,000 . In other words nothing much.
Mine is 15k km. Second hand EV I bought last year (I had a budget, looked at petrol/diesel cars but didn't see much that I liked, then came across the Hyundai ioniq) has saved me about €1500 so far, less if you include depreciation, but no matter the car it would have depreciated.

Has anyone seen anything in Budget 2021 in relation to the BIK exemption on EV's?

In each of the last few Budgets, this exemption has been extended by a year, ensuring that companies & employees have the certainty that they will be exempt from BIK for at least 3yrs.

I dont see it mentioned anywhere so is this down to 2yrs now?

Has anyone seen anything in Budget 2021 in relation to the BIK exemption on EV's?

In each of the last few Budgets, this exemption has been extended by a year, ensuring that companies & employees have the certainty that they will be exempt from BIK for at least 3yrs.

I dont see it mentioned anywhere so is this down to 2yrs now?
In the last budget they announced a new CO2 and mileage based BIK regime to begin in 2023, which would kick in when the 0% rate expires at the end of 2022.

In the last budget they announced a new CO2 and mileage based BIK regime to begin in 2023, which would kick in when the 0% rate expires at the end of 2022.

I must have missed that last year. I just understood that i was exempt from BIK for another 3yrs, the same as the previous year's Budget.
Any idea where i can find details on the new scheme?

The problem with Electric Cars as of now; Kia Niro Electric €41k. Cheapest second hand €33k.
I could get a 2019 5-series with a good spec for €41k or a 2018 version for €33k.

Other than the fact that it's electric there's no reason to go for the Kia. If you do low mileage you'll have a lower carbon footprint buying the secondhand 5-series instead of the new Kia Niro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back