Electric Car Diary

Buy EV6 all day long.Amazing spec and range.For those nervous a plug in hybrid makes a good toe in the water.Something not mentioned is to use B roads if not in a hurry.It makes a more interesting drive and regen will get you much further while avoiding tolls and boring motorways

It was the EV6 sibling or Polestar2 that I was most interested in. Personally ,the overall Ioniq 5 styling doesn't appeal to me.
the Ioniq is divisive in terms of opinion of the design , personally i love it but my wife would not allow us buy it , she hates the look of it that much

They will become obsolete eventually, ok for short urban driving but if doing motorway trips ,you switch to petrol engine

EV should be fine for vast majority way things are going
Which makes a lot of sense for a lot of people, particularly of it's a one car household - you get all the functionality of a small range EV and a petrol hybrid in one vehicle.

My wife drives a PHEV which covers her 20km each way daily commute fully on battery so we do not use any petrol at all other than when we do a longer trip down the country to attend weddings or visit relatives a few times a year. We've often managed over 2,000km on one tank of petrol, which is small (35L).

The additional cost for us to buy a BEV with sufficient range to accomodate these infrequent longer trips would far outweigh the limited petrol spend we have currently. We would have a 400km+ range, which we hardly ever use and is a waste of money and resources.

If we bought a BEV with a smaller battery, we would have to navigate the uncertanty and insufficiency of the public charger network, which is the last thing you want to be doing on your way to a wedding for example and we'll gladly pay for petrol in this instance (which isn't a massive increase over some of the rapid charger prices from IONITY etc).

Also, not all PHEVs switch to petrol when travelling motorway speeds or under acceleration - admittedly some do, but not all.

Ironically if you can afford a new expensive car you probably don't need the savings anyway. You can probably have two cars each suited to a different purpose.

Minor update: The car is still great. No real issues, ride is a bit firm.
However, recently got an email from Bord Gais that there is a balance of €240 for installation of a load Management device because we have electric showers!
SEAI grant was paid a week ago, €600.

Update: Charged the car up to 100% last night in advance of a longish trip today. Range showed at 506km this morning. So, the weather and ambient temperature really affects the potential range.

On a medium length trip. I notice that one of the chargers offered 150kw charging. I had already plugged in to the 50kw.
Would the 150kw charge the ID.4 faster or is the ID.4 limited as to how fast it will charge?

On a medium length trip. I notice that one of the chargers offered 150kw charging. I had already plugged in to the 50kw.
Would the 150kw charge the ID.4 faster or is the ID.4 limited as to how fast it will charge?
It supports 125kW charging, so yes will be much faster on the other charger. Note that other charger has a slightly higher price.

Many thanks. That's good to know!
FWIW all Ionity chargers will charge at your cars’ top speed and Tesla are in the process of allowing non-Tesla cars use their chargers as well, which again work at your cars’ max charging speed.

Update: Charged the car up to 100% last night in advance of a longish trip today. Range showed at 506km this morning. So, the weather and ambient temperature really affects the potential range.
yes summer range is much better and much less volatile! ionity chargers are the way to go if it suits your trip, most charge sessions are 20 min or less such is the speed they can charge at.

What does this work out as in total for a typical charge?
Ionity site says 71c per kWh here for the pay as you go option, 46.1c for ESB, so that works out around €44 versus €29 for an 80% charge of a 77kWh battery, circa 400km range per Slims recent experience.

Last edited:
What does this work out as in total for a typical charge?
sorry Leo is correct Ionity is a little cheaper in ireland at 71c, whats a typical charge? depends on whether you are half way through a long trip and need a full refill to get there or you are on the way home and need a top up to get there.

Ionity site says 71c per kWh here for the pay as you go option, 46.1c for ESB, so that works out around €44 versus €29 for an 80% charge of a 77kWh battery, circa 400km range per Slims recent experience.
Thanks Leo, not as cheap as I thought. €44 wouldn't be much less than a small diesel. I presume at home charging is much cheaper.

Thanks Leo, not as cheap as I thought. €44 wouldn't be much less than a small diesel. I presume at home charging is much cheaper.
Much cheaper.

If you charge durign the day, yoiu should be on a rate of around 20-25c . If you have a day/night rate or a smart meter, and charge at night, you could be looking at <10c, depending on your plan

Back