Electric Car Diary

I decided to revisit this thread owing to the thread on EV depreciation etc running on this forum. I hadn't realised it's exactly 1 year since last post here.

It's been an interesting year with the EV. A number of negatives arose :-
1. Number of 'updates' requiring a visit to dealer, once 65 miles away but most to their nearer branch. This usually took most of a day with the exception of the 65mile visit for which they lent me a car.
2. An issue arose with the infotainment screen which began to malfunction every few minutes. This did not impinge on the driving or safety but was concerning. A full day hanging around the dealer/town lead to a delay while Dublin figured it out and sent a fix. Finally came about a month later.
3. In the meantime, I realised the warranty would expire in February this year. I couldn't shop around for a trade in as the issue would be obvious in minutes to a dealer (and it wouldn't be honest to try and fob it off). So, I bit the bullet and ordered a new one!!
4. As the New Year rang in, VW dropped it's EV prices by up to €12k. Too late for me as my deal was done!

Now, I have a lovely new car, at 0% finance, so we're just going to enjoy it, hopefully for 3 years!

ESB Networks have my application for a smart meter for 4 months now and no sign of them fitting it! Last night I plugged in to charge, at home, and this morning it was at 100% even though the default is 80% and I didn't change that!!

Overall, we love the driving experience. Range anxiety has eased as we know where the fast chargers are. However, we are retired and usually plan our journeys in advance. There are some unknowns ahead and some days I wistfully wish I still had my trusty diesel but not too much. Let's hope the next year is less eventful!!

I have moved the posts for the case against to a separate thread.

Folks

This is a very interesting thread.

Read the thread title before responding: Electric Car Diary

It is Slim's Electric Car Diary. It is not:
  1. Your car diary
  2. Your views on ICE vs. EV
  3. The value of solar energy
They are all valid subjects but do so in another thread.

This should be only about Slim's diary.
Answering questions asked by Slim.
Giving Slim advice - other than telling him to ditch the EV for an ICE.

It will be heavily moderated so if you post a long post which is off-topic, it will be deleted. Not moved or saved - deleted. So don't waste your time. And don't start crying when your masterpiece is deleted.

Brendan

ESB Networks have my application for a smart meter for 4 months now and no sign of them fitting it! Last night I plugged in to charge, at home, and this morning it was at 100% even though the default is 80% and I didn't change that!!

Could that mean that 80% of the battery is 100% charged ?

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you with no off-street parking. have you used either charging arm or an antri-trip cable protector? We don't have off-street but I've a dedicated space in front of the house, so either of these solutions should work.

Back