Eddie Hobbs - Show Me The Money - the Belly Dancer

mo3art said:
Yet another persuasive argument for compulsory personal finance to be taught in schools, an invaluable lifeskill if there ever was one!

Spot on!! Can't believe they actually taught us "Bridge" in school as a subject, yet we were given no education about budgeting, mortgages, credit and savings. Not a thing. I agree with you 100%

AFAIR, a household budget was part of the Business Studies syllabus, but I don't recall if Business Studies was comulsory for the Junior Cert.

There was no business studies in our school. You could do Economics if you really wanted to, but that was more about bigger issues as far as I know.
What I mean is that it need not be an actual subject that you get examined on, more of a couple of classes of financial advice and tips for the individual. I really think there is so much taught that you never use, it might be a good idea to give some good solid advice that may help later on.
Wish I had been given it, when I went looking for a mortgage, it was like another language to me, (still is!) that's why I logged on here to begin with.

Economics is a Leaving Cert Subject!

Business Studies is not obligatory for the Junior Cert. In my school you choose between Home Economics (or whatever it is called now).

Ha ha, I was wondering if Priscilla and I went to the same school. Our Career Guidance teacher had a nervous breakdown and couldnt handle actual teaching so used to supervise us playing bridge instead...

Business studies is for Junior Cert (as far as I know. It was still the inter when I did it but I'm sure my sister did business studies from 1st year)

Business organisation, accounting and economics are three separate subjects which you can do for Leaving cert. Only bus. org. was offered when I was in school (think nuns wanted us all to do just home economics and art!) but by a few years later accounting was also on offer in my school. Not sure if they ever got around to doing economics.

It has been brought to my attention (as a moderator/administrator) that lancome has registered but never posted and has been sending PMs directly to contributors to this thread. This is arguably bad (n)etiquette since discussions should really be kept in the public domain rather than directed at individual users (other than with their permission/invitation). lancome - please keep discussion of the topic here.

Back