Eddie Hobbs - Show Me The Money - the Belly Dancer

Why is our TV license money spent by the nation's public broadcaster to purportedly assist people like this who obviously don't give a toss about their spending habits and financial situations? Surely there are more deserving cases? Sounds to me like

mo3art said:
Yet another persuasive argument for compulsive personal finance to be taught in schools
Is that to counterbalance the compulsive spending habits that some people develop? Or do you actually mean "compulsory"? ;)

LMFAO Clubman I didn't realise I posted that!!!! Talk about a freudian slip ;)
I did of course mean "compulsory" IYKWIM

mo3art said:
LMFAO Clubman I didn't realise I posted that!!!! Talk about a freudian slip ;)
I did of course mean "compulsory" IYKWIM
Thanks for taking that in the spirit that it was intended. I was actually bracing myself for the first "AAM versus ClubMan" episode of 2006 when I posted! :D

She was lucky that the health services CU would give her a consolidation loan and deduct it at source, she was highly irresponsible and her friend thought it was a great laugh too "we borrowed 4000 went to NY and spent the lot in a weekend". When a credit union looks for a committal then you know you have trouble

There will always be people who can't live within their means. There will always be sucker lenders who lend to them. And there will always be a media outlet to tell the fascinating story. Eddie needs to pick some more realistic examples if he is to give his show any longevity - especially this year when his profile is sky high after Rip Off Republic...

How was she a member/borrower with three CUs? I would have assumed that the most one could have the required "common bond" with would be two - i.e. community/neighbourhood and work? If people like her are exploiting multiple CUs as a form of easy (albeit not necessarily cheap) credit then it would undermine my already strained faith in the CU system even more.

I suspose she could have lived in bray and joined the CU there, then moved to greystones and joined there, the work CU is obvious

i agree with extopia, it was a poor episode to start the season off with, however they were probably made before ROR

CUs are under severe pressure to lend money at the moment as no one is borrowing from them because of their high rates. Perhaps this is inevitably leading to CUs providing riskier loans.

contemporary said:
I suspose she could have lived in bray and joined the CU there, then moved to greystones and joined there, the work CU is obvious
Fair point. I'm actually still a member of the CU in my family's original neighbourhood and never transferred/joined my current neighbourhood's one. I keep saying that I'll close my account and put it to better work especially seeing that I have never borrowed from them and probably never will and the money is effectively lying idle where it is. Or maybe I'll just use it to splash out on a nice holiday.... :)

I thought it didn't give much detail as to what she was spending the 1300 or even the reduced 450 a week on. Was she paying any rent at all? I know she was spending a lot on clothes, holidays, food and the car, but surely there was other expenditure outside of that which she could have cut back on?
Son also had a psp, along with the flat screen tv!

I would have preferred if they had gone in to more detail, and shown us exactly what she cut back on, and her new weekly budget. I suppose 30 minutes just isn't enough time to go in to every aspect.

And the usual 'consolidate your loans' card was played again, I hope we're not in to another series of that being Eddie's answer to everything!

Bluebean said:
And the usual 'consolidate your loans' card was played again, I hope we're not in to another series of that being Eddie's answer to everything!
Well at least he didn't attempt to [broken link removed] a Cape Verde holiday home! :D

Marty Whelan had some guy on the radio this morning advising just that; I can't remember the guys name but he's responsible for some business magazine. The individual in question actually suggested that people fib to lenders to get a mortgage top up and pay off CC debts etc- irresponsible surely? Anybody else hear it?

didn't hear the guy on the radio but what made me laugh was the little clip of the woman with her flask in the car....... ye like she's really going to keep doing that ...made for TV. i also agree that there's little point saying she has cut her spending if there is no obvious breakdown - felt that there was little substance in the program - answer to debt problems was just get a consolidated loan. Really feel the program could be a perfect oppurtunity to give budgeting tips, show people how interest rates and other charges make some debts worst than others. Also advise people about saving towards car insurance, Christmas etc.. so that they can tackle the debt without having to add to it each year when these things crop up.

I see there is a new programme starting on BBC this Thursday on how to pay off your mortgage within two years. Might be worth a look.

would this woman be classed in the 7% of the overall population and her son in the 15% of children,that live in consistent 'poverty' in this state every day....a mantra oft heard from one of the great 'thinkers' of our time, Fintan O'Toole, amongst others.....

Delboy said:
would this woman be classed in the 7% of the overall population and her son in the 15% of children,that live in consistent 'poverty' in this state every day....a mantra oft heard from one of the great 'thinkers' of our time, Fintan O'Toole, amongst others.....
A bit like the "deprived" areas that I passed through over the Christmas holidays which boasted lighting displays to rival Las Vegas, endless supplies of gargle for the adults and toys like iPods, PSPs and miniature petrol powered motorbikes for the kids...?! :eek:

This program is about as close to "financial advice" as Cape Verde is to property investment. The show is just that - a show. This program was merely an opportunity for the viewer to see how stupid some people can be. As a show, it falls a long way short of the Alvin Hall version originally on BBC. It does not take 30 mins to advise even a "belly dancer" to consolidate her loans.
Hopefully the next few editions will be better (but I would not bet on it).

Conan said:
The show is just that - a show. This program was merely an opportunity for the viewer to see how stupid some people can be.

Exactly. Just like You're A Star etc. People won't be 'entertained' by people who aren't in debt due to unemployment or other hardship.

Sure there is a girl in my department in work who works part time and lives with her mam and boyfriend and 2 kids aged 2 & 7 and she spent 2500 euro on christmas presents for them. She says she has to get the 7 year old what he puts on the list as he wants them. The same girl bought a brand new car a few years ago and cannot keep up with the repayments and keeps on missing some. She has no money left now and which means no money for her car and petrol, lunch etc.

There is loads of eejits like this out there who do not save for anything just keep getting loans and a buy a brand new car just so they can boast about it for a few months but end up having no money left for anything else every month as a good percentage of their wages goes on their car

Back