Eddie Hobbs - Show Me The Money - the Belly Dancer

sherib

Eddie Hobbs' new series starts tonight on RTE1 at 8.30 pm. A bit of light entertainment to set us straight for 2006!

WHat a spender! The 35 year old single mum of a 12 year old was earning €32k nett, spending €54k including her 4 holidays per annum and HP payments on her €28k car and had €45k in other debtj. She was about a week away from a commital hearing from one the 3 credit unions from which she had borrowed.

She did seem to turn around her spending, though I thought that Eddie should have gone even harder on her to ensure she understood that she was blowing her son's future on clothes & holidays.

I missed the darned thing! Anybody know if it's going to be repeated during the week?
Thanks

Shame you missed it Mo, I think it was the best one so far - well it was the one that elicited the most 'I don't believe its' from me anyway.
......and I'm not talking about the belly dancing either! ;)

mo3art said:
Seriously was her spending that bad?
Oh yes, by golly it was. In one week alone she spent €1300 (in cash ALONE, ie apart from other bills etc). Eddie asked her how she intended to deal with the little matter of her imminent court appearance and possible commital, and she said her plan was to go to court and cry! Other than that, she didn't have a plan. What amazes me is that she knew what her earnings were, she knew what maintenance she received from (presumably) the boy's father, and she knew what she was spending (earning circa 32k and spending circa 52k per annum), so how come it all came as such a surprise?? Also, she knew she had to attend court soon, and that the creditor was asking for her to be imprisoned, and yet she had no plan of action. She owed that creditor €2,300 and had clearly regularly defaulted on her repayments, yet she had over €4,000 in an account and it never occurred to her to pay off the €2,300 in order to avoid going to prison!! Lord help us ... was she for real? Am I naive? Are there really many people like that out there, or was she just the one in a million??

She was pretty flippant about the whole thing...I'd be at my wits end...Perhaps it was nervousness though at being on tv...not sure...Thing I found a bit misleading was that Hobbs seemed to be optimistic about her future and the possibility of her buying her own home in the near future (although he didn't directly say that)...I'm assuming that with a credit history like hers, that would be in doubt for a few years...

She worked as an Addiction Counsellor for the Health Services Executive earning ~ €40,000 gross. Seems it took Eddie Hobbs to show her she had 'a problem' if not an addiction herself! Still, she's probably far from the only one given the encitement to borrow money. If there weren't people spending money they haven't got, what would be the effect on our economy? Can't help wondering..... Of course that would never apply to AAM-ers;)

Her son had a flat screen T.V. attached to the wall for his computer games. She spent 3k/4k per annum redecorating her rented council house. She went on 4 holidays per year, presumably at the credit union's expense. She washed her car in the garage forecourt rather than at home.
I think most of us will wait until the old T.V. gives up the ghost or use the old T.V. for the computer games in the kids bedroom. We would redecorate our homes as the need arises. We would go on holidays with money saved not on 100% borrowings. Washing the car at home occassionally would do her no harm. This lady is still spending €450 per week....on what?

Was the E32k net per annum inclusive of maintenance? I missed that. Its a decent cashflow coming into a house!

Can tenants remain in council houses indefinitely? Is there an incentive scheme in place to encourage clients to move along up the ladder?

I did not hear anything mentioned about cutting up the cards but maybe I am mistaken. Too much emphasis was placed on loan consolidation.

Hi IsleOfMan,

She spent money on the 'must have' items of clothing. Once bought & put in the wardrobe, were never worn again.

Have to admit, was gobsmacked looking at it.

D8L

SpatenMan - yes the 32,000 net per annum was inclusive of maintenance. Not a bad little sum (net) per annum at all at all. Cannot believe she's an Addiction Counsellor - she cannot be serious!!

Couldn't believe the deal she did with the car - 3 door VW Golf, didn't look like anything special, but might have been a GTI? Cost new in 2003 was, I think, €27K, she bought on a 5 year hire purchase agreement with a balloon payment of €5,000 due at the end of the five years.

Total cost of the car €38k - for a 3 door Golf!!! :eek:

and she was expecting to get 20k for it second hand. for 20k cash you can usually shop around for newish car.

There were a few interesting comments during the show which deserve more attention.

On her return from her latest post-Eddie-belt-tightening holiday in Turkey, she mentioned how there was great value in 'good copies' of branded clothing. I'm kind-of surprised that RTE let this blase comment out on air. If she had made a comment on buying pirate DVD's or knock-off cigarettes, I doubt that it would have gone out on air. But it's OK to pirate clothing apparently?

She mentioned that her family & friends had a generally sympathetic attitude to her spending & debts, and it seemed that Eddie was the first person to tell her to rein back her spending. Maybe this is a feature of the circles she is moving in, but her family and friends are doing her no favours with this sympathetic position. Maybe if one or two of them had given her some hard messages in the past, she wouldn't be quite so badly in debt now.

I had to laugh at her spending of €100+ per week on organic foods, while loading herself up on coffee & fags all day. It's hard to see a cleansing benefit from organic foods while taking in all the poisons contained in cigarettes.

She was a member of both Bray & Greystones Credit Unions, along with the Health Services Credit Union through work. I thought the 'common bond' issue would not allow her to be a member of 2 CU's with 'regional bonds' i.e Bray & Greystones?

I would generally be of left-leaning liberal pinko tendancies. But I have to admit to a rising anger that the taxpayer is paying for her accomodation (council flat) while she (or more accurately her credit unions) are paying for her holidays/clothes/car! While I remain absolutely convinced of the need for social housing, I'm not convinced that the state should pay for her housing for ever.

as both a feminist and someone with close friends and colleagues who are bringing up children alone I hate to say this but some women exploit their gender and the liberal tendencies of the state and their peers by personal irresponsibility on the basis that they won't have to sort out the consequences; others will!

Hi RainyDay

Whilst I didn't see the program, I wouldn't be surprised with the sentiments expressed by this woman. It is my experience that in certain circumstances the state providing housing and other benefits to people can be a slippery slope with regards to indebtedness. I suppose to say that I have seen a number of people in massive debt as they are confident that the state or another body will pull them out of the hole. I am aware of a number of families who call on the state & St Vincent de Paul for "one off" handouts for assistance at Christmas and other times of the year such as Communions etc as they have not managed their money well due to multiple holidays, cars, spending etc. Indeed, Mr Mo stopped working with the SVP a number of years back when he was making a christmas hamper delivery to a "needy" family in his local area - he was shocked to see that the family he had been designated weren't destitute by any means and spent a massive amount on Christmas. On raising his concerns with the SVP he was informed that they had a policy of not refusing those who requested assistance.

It is the actions of these few that leaves a bad taste in many people's mouths, not least our own. It is such a pity as there are many needy families and individuals out there and the actions of the few lead us to regard them (needy people) with suspicion. I would agree with your sentiment of anger at the fact that this person manages on such a good salary, has a state rent subsidy and yet still cannot manage their own personal finances.

Yet another persuasive argument for compulsory personal finance to be taught in schools, an invaluable lifeskill if there ever was one!

Sounds like 'Personal Responsibility' rather than 'Personal Finance' should be on the school curriculum..........

I would love to see a programme about her husband/partner who is paying her maintenance and see what conditions he is living in? His maintenance payments look as if they are subsidising her lavish lifestyle. I agree with Rainyday about the council house and the taxpayer subsidising her accommodation. She strikes me as all take and no give.

Back