Delays in rolling out vaccine

Both my wife and I had our AstraZeneca vaccines. I was fine with just a stiff arm for a day or two. My wife was sick , very bad headache and no energy, the next day . The second day she was fine.
We would take the sickness over getting Covid any time.
It just affects people in various ways. The sooner we get the second one the better .
For us, just sore arm, lack of energy, headache.....plus my wife had terrible chills during night. Lasted a couple of days. Chills gone after the first night.

I would be interested to hear when after we get the second AZ jab are the side effects the same or more or less?

For us, just sore arm, lack of energy, headache.....plus my wife had terrible chills during night. Lasted a couple of days. Chills gone after the first night.

I would be interested to hear when after we get the second AZ jab are the side effects the same or more or less?
Again from friend in the UK only adverse effect after the 2nd dose was a sore arm for a day.
Your immune system will be used to having the vaccine after the first but as everyone is unique nothing is certain.

I've heard that generally the side effects happen after the first AZ vaccine and after the second Pfizer dose - so I wouldn't think you would have anything similar after the second jab

HSE's Damien Mccallion says if people's GPs aren't taking part in vaccination of cohorts 4 or 7 (high risk conditions) there is a referral programme that has been rolled out this week which will see people in these cohorts get picked up and given appointments in vaccine centres...
That'll be done through an electronic referral system which will be open to GPs who aren't taking part in the vaccinations of Cohort 4 or 7.
- seen on Richard Chambers twitter feed

I see Stephen Donnelly saying today that people will be considered full vaccinated four weeks after their first AZ dose. When did this happen? I thought no-one was fully vaccinated until after their second dose??

"What NIAC have concluded is that if you get a Johnson & Johnson dose you would be deemed fully vaccinated two weeks after that dose.

"With AstraZeneca after your first dose they would view you to be fully vaccinated four weeks after your first dose, with Pfizer and Moderna it is one week and two weeks respectively after the second dose.

"So essentially what that all means is that somewhere between two weeks and six weeks of your first dose of any of these you would be deemed to be fully vaccinated", he said.

HSE's Damien Mccallion says if people's GPs aren't taking part in vaccination of cohorts 4 or 7 (high risk conditions) there is a referral programme that has been rolled out this week which will see people in these cohorts get picked up and given appointments in vaccine centres...
That'll be done through an electronic referral system which will be open to GPs who aren't taking part in the vaccinations of Cohort 4 or 7.
- seen on Richard Chambers twitter feed
The figures are very low especially in Cohort 7 . I read last week the the HSE felt that many in this Cohort were recorded by GPs in Cohort 4 but also admitted that the system wasn't working as planned.
My database experience is somewhat limited but surely taking the PPS number as the primary identifier would have made tracking these people easier before the rollout began rather than farting around now and using scarce resources.

The figures are very low especially in Cohort 7 . I read last week the the HSE felt that many in this Cohort were recorded by GPs in Cohort 4 but also admitted that the system wasn't working as planned.
My database experience is somewhat limited but surely taking the PPS number as the primary identifier would have made tracking these people easier before the rollout began rather than farting around now and using scarce resources.
Some were assigned to Cohort 4 by GPs, some were done as part of their age group. I know of people in their 50s who were told to just register by age group on the portal as they would be done as quickly.
Then there are those whose GPs aren't participating but were under 50 and were stuck in limbo so this will be a relief to them.

I see Stephen Donnelly saying today that people will be considered full vaccinated four weeks after their first AZ dose. When did this happen? I thought no-one was fully vaccinated until after their second dose??

"What NIAC have concluded is that if you get a Johnson & Johnson dose you would be deemed fully vaccinated two weeks after that dose.

"With AstraZeneca after your first dose they would view you to be fully vaccinated four weeks after your first dose, with Pfizer and Moderna it is one week and two weeks respectively after the second dose.

"So essentially what that all means is that somewhere between two weeks and six weeks of your first dose of any of these you would be deemed to be fully vaccinated", he said.
I dunno what has changed but to put a big of logic to it perhaps the data supports this in that after one jab you have 60-70% immunity and the additional immunity from the 2nd jab makes little uplift in what is deemed "vaccinated ".

The second jab for most people would be essentially a booster in the Autumn anyway, but I agree it's a strange one.

But would the rest of the EU accept this for travel?

I'll be fully vaccinated on the 2nd of July as I'm getting Pfizer 4th and 25th of June, Pfizer are vaccinating families of employees.

I dunno what has changed but to put a big of logic to it perhaps the data supports this in that after one jab you have 60-70% immunity and the additional immunity from the 2nd jab makes little uplift in what is deemed "vaccinated ".

The second jab for most people would be essentially a booster in the Autumn anyway, but I agree it's a strange one.

But would the rest of the EU accept this for travel?

I'll be fully vaccinated on the 2nd of July as I'm getting Pfizer 4th and 25th of June, Pfizer are vaccinating families of employees.

Probably something like that but the protection offered after 1 dose of Pfizer is the same as far as I know but open to correction. Can't help but think it is to make it more attractive for people to accept the AZ vaccine instead of waiting for 16 weeks for the second second dose and what I thought was full immunity.

Like you say though, if this is just a NIAC decision, will the rest of the EU accept it? I thought that one of the main dangers was partially vaccinated people getting infected and allowing the virus a change to mutate.

Must be nice to have an end date to look forward to!

Probably something like that but the protection offered after 1 dose of Pfizer is the same as far as I know but open to correction. Can't help but think it is to make it more attractive for people to accept the AZ vaccine instead of waiting for 16 weeks for the second second dose and what I thought was full immunity.

Like you say though, if this is just a NIAC decision, will the rest of the EU accept it? I thought that one of the main dangers was partially vaccinated people getting infected and allowing the virus a change to mutate.

Must be nice to have an end date to look forward to!
I think data from Israel and Qatar recently said they witnessed 100% immunity in some vaccinated people with and average of 96% after 2 doses , they are doing doses 21 days apart.
Personally I'm of the opinion that over 90% is probably too much but that's what has been noted, 70% immunity would still be an excellent figure the flu vaccine can be 50% of that and that has been a relatively good program.

I am now thinking that the vaccine makers might have over egged the vaccine because we knew very little about the virus and its full effects , now that the real data from populations are flowing in perhaps a 1 dose regime might be the way forward with annual boosters?

When the vaccine rollout began I think most were just happy its happened now we might see changes, it was always going to be a fluid situation with many twists and turns.

22m vaccinations in UK with 32 deaths and 168 serious blood clotting cases, yet 130k people died before any vaccinations, from Covid, apply this to Ireland and we will have approximately 7 deaths from vaccinations as opposed to nearly 5000 from Covid before vaccinations, don't be fooled by scaremongering take a vaccine,

I knew they were giving out beer and steaks but Ohio seems to be taking it further.
If the US don't get to a "herd" immunity level this pandemic will drag on globally, the Indian variant in the UK has doubled in known cases in 24 hrs albeit from a low base of about 600.(again most agree the figures are very much understated)

This isn't good news

No not good news. Fear of a super variant may result in developed countries releasing allocations of the J&J (single shot & regular refrigerator storage) and the AZ vaccines to developing countries.

No not good news. Fear of a super variant may result in developed countries releasing allocations of the J&J (single shot & regular refrigerator storage) and the AZ vaccines to developing countries.
I think that's great news. I suggested that this might/should happen a year ago.

Well we knew that vaccines were the primary route out of this pandemic. Now Public Health England have released figures of deaths and hospitalisation that were prevented up to the end of April.

While the figures are substantial I honestly thought they would be higher.
I have no reason why I thought this , anyway its good news.

Question regarding “herd immunity”.

Say one country, which is using Pfizer only (95% effective), is said to have achieved HI when X% of the population have received (both) jabs.
Then another country, which is using J&J only (66% effective) is said to have achieved HI when Y% of the population have received (single) jabs.

Is Y greater than X because J&J is less effective?

(In both cases the people have received the “full course”, ie ignore the number of required jabs.

Back