Delays in rolling out vaccine

Funny how we all want the new vaccine rather than the one that's based on 100 year old proven technology.
Indeed. Although I guess if those [mostly younger women] who died with the rare brain clots, had got the new vaccine rather than the 100 year old proven technology one, they'd still be alive today.
Why would you not show up?
I've decided against taking the AZ or J&J vaccine. If my text says I'm slated for one of those I'll ring them to decline.

Indeed. Although I guess if those [mostly younger women] who died with the rare brain clots, had got the new vaccine rather than the 100 year old proven technology one, they'd still be alive today.

I've decided against taking the AZ or J&J vaccine. If my text says I'm slated for one of those I'll ring them to decline.
Are you a young women?

Will they let you know in advance what vaccine it is?
I’d avoid AZ too if I knew in advance. I don’t think we’re buying any more of it come July.

Current indications suggest I’ll be getting J&J. I’d happy out with this.

Indeed. Although I guess if those [mostly younger women] who died with the rare brain clots, had got the new vaccine rather than the 100 year old proven technology one, they'd still be alive
Sorry but that is nonsense in 99% of cases in any vaccine there isn't issues and I even include those that were highlighted in hysterical newspaper articles and false science by nutters like Wakefield and our own Cahill.
Every vaccine bar 3 the mRNA ones , has more or less followed Jenners model. If anything the mRna vaccines would be30 the vaccines to be sceptical of as we know nothing of their long term effects on the body. MRna technology is 30 years old , 20 years of trying and failing and was still failing until Biontech clicked that it could might be used in a vaccine in early 2020.

The probability of the planet having an mRna vaccine this time last year were in the .0001% bracket of possibility, and had it failed we would be pumping the 200 year technology into our arms without question.

Your decision to refuse is not based on anything but fear and fear will cause you to not only put your own health in danger but also those who are in your life. Covid isn't going anywhere and will be present for ever,in my opinion .

Just to say my best friend is 54 and his wife 55 she got AZ in January and him April both had sore arms and fatigue for 2 days , they wouldn't be super fit, but they are fine.

Will they let you know in advance what vaccine it is?
I’d avoid AZ too if I knew in advance. I don’t think we’re buying any more of it come July.

Current indications suggest I’ll be getting J&J. I’d happy out with this.
We may not be buying more but we will be getting our contracted volume.

If anything the mRna vaccines would be30 the vaccines to be sceptical of as we know nothing of their long term effects on the body.
Funnily enough someone said to me that they would take the traditional vaccines but not the new technology mRNA ones.
Your decision to refuse is not based on anything but fear and fear will cause you to not only put your own health in danger but also those who are in your life. Covid isn't going anywhere and will be present for ever,in my opinion .
Not to doubt your crystal ball but my decision is based on various factors. A tad dramatic to suggest that I'd be a danger to all and sundry with so many vaccines floating around. I too reckon Covid will be around forever and that we will all get it, vaccinated or not . . but that's just my opinion as I've no qualifications in epidemiology or public health.

Last edited:
Funnily enough someone said to me that they would take the traditional vaccines but not the new technology mRNA ones.

Not to doubt your crystal ball but my decision is based on various factors. A tad dramatic to suggest that I'd be a danger to all and sundry with so many vaccines floating around. I too reckon Covid will be around forever and that we will all get it, vaccinated or not . . but that's just my opinion as I've no qualifications in epidemiology or public health.
Never said "all and sundry " micheal.

Hiding to nothing but here goes . . although statistically, and practically, the AZ vaccine poses no risk to me it seems to be the poor cousin of the Pfizer one re efficacy, response to variants and side effects. I do not like how they keep chopping and changing age brackets (and 2nd dose timing) - firstly it was for everyone; then not for the over 70's (methinks when it started pushing the very frail over the edge), then only for the over 60's, re blood clots; now that we have an AZ glut to shift, it's fine for the over 50's. If I was a year younger they wouldn't give it to me. In the UK it was for everyone, then only the over 30's, now only the over 40's. Germany also in a muddle, meanwhile other countries have stopped it altogether as they have vaccinated the most at-risk and have other vaccines available.

The HSE's current line is "AZ is currently not recommended for people under the age of 50. This is because of a very rare risk of getting unusual blood clots with low platelets after having the vaccine. This is a precaution because people under 50 are less likely to get severe COVID-19 disease and there are other vaccines available."

I'm just over 50 and very fit and healthy. I expect I am less likely to get severe COVID-19 and there are other vaccines available. I'm not the smartest guy in the room and have no interest in what others choose, but happily, as this isn't China, it's my prerogative.

Last edited:
Hiding to nothing but here goes . .

I feel much the same. This time last year it was “Oxford vaccine” this and “Oxford vaccine” that. Out by September.
“Team headed by an Irish woman”. Yaddayaddayadda!

The reality has been their inability to live up to their supply promises, Brexit inspired vaccine nationalism, testing errors, the EMA not being happy with the quality of their data leading to a request for improved data, low efficacy against the 2021 strains, et cetera.

I’m half expecting to show up to the vaccine centre, to find Maurice Pratt in scrubs taking a vial out of a Yellow Pack.
:)

No thanks. I’ll have, in terms of preference, J&J, Pfizer, Moderna, Sputnik V.

Both my wife and I had our AstraZeneca vaccines. I was fine with just a stiff arm for a day or two. My wife was sick , very bad headache and no energy, the next day . The second day she was fine.
We would take the sickness over getting Covid any time.
It just affects people in various ways. The sooner we get the second one the better .

Both my wife and I had our AstraZeneca vaccines. I was fine with just a stiff arm for a day or two. My wife was sick , very bad headache and no energy, the next day . The second day she was fine.
We would take the sickness over getting Covid any time.
It just affects people in various ways. The sooner we get the second one the better .
I heard similar effects.

Hiding to nothing but here goes . . although statistically, and practically, the AZ vaccine poses no risk to me it seems to be the poor cousin of the Pfizer one re efficacy, response to variants and side effects. I do not like how they keep chopping and changing age brackets (and 2nd dose timing) - firstly it was for everyone; then not for the over 70's (methinks when it started pushing the very frail over the edge), then only for the over 60's, re blood clots; now that we have an AZ glut to shift, it's fine for the over 50's. If I was a year younger they wouldn't give it to me. In the UK it was for everyone, then only the over 30's, now only the over 40's. Germany also in a muddle, meanwhile other countries have stopped it altogether as they have vaccinated the most at-risk and have other vaccines available.

The HSE's current line is "AZ is currently not recommended for people under the age of 50. This is because of a very rare risk of getting unusual blood clots with low platelets after having the vaccine. This is a precaution because people under 50 are less likely to get severe COVID-19 disease and there are other vaccines available."

I'm just over 50 and very fit and healthy. I expect I am less likely to get severe COVID-19 and there are other vaccines available. I'm not the smartest guy in the room and have no interest in what others choose, but happily, as this isn't China, it's my prerogative.
Incredible, and a nice bit of conspiracy and self preservation being disguised as " factors " not an iota of science or reference to the millions of doses delivered all over the globe.

I feel much the same. This time last year it was “Oxford vaccine” this and “Oxford vaccine” that. Out by September.
“Team headed by an Irish woman”. Yaddayaddayadda!

The reality has been their inability to live up to their supply promises, Brexit inspired vaccine nationalism, testing errors, the EMA not being happy with the quality of their data leading to a request for improved data, low efficacy against the 2021 strains, et cetera.

I’m half expecting to show up to the vaccine centre, to find Maurice Pratt in scrubs taking a vial out of a Yellow Pack.
:)

No thanks. I’ll have, in terms of preference, J&J, Pfizer, Moderna, Sputnik V.
It was developed by Oxford University, universities generally don't have manufacturing capabilities so, like so many others they outsourced the manufacturing/distribution to Astrazeneca under a JV agreement.

Last edited:
I'm just over 50 and very fit and healthy. I expect I am less likely to get severe COVID-19 and there are other vaccines available. I'm not the smartest guy in the room and have no interest in what others choose, but happily, as this isn't China, it's my prerogative

If you don't take the vaccine offered for your age group, when will you be vaccinated and what will you do in the meantime?

Back