Delays in rolling out vaccine

Last comment on this. This is not going to be a once off vaccination shot. We will probably need this at least annually. Like Leo said, we seem to just looked at the cost of the flu jab and decided that was the going rate instead of actually seeing what the cost was. I am sorry if expecting more detail around something that will cost over €100m if not hundreds of millions every single year is expecting too much.
Whats the alternative? Honestly how else are we going to protect people?

I'm open to hearing alternatives but I simply can't see the issue here, either we pay or we don't and be left with an economy that will take more lives than the virus.

I heard a piece on newstalk business this morning that the Bould Leo wants to give the competition authority even more powers which only the gardai now have to snoop on private businesses to find out if they are price fixing, even allowing competition authority personnel to pretend they are business people from competing companies.
Yet we have sweet heart deals between government, Doctors and pharmacies and the Bould Leo even engaged in price fixing himself by leaking confidential information on pay to a mate from a rival doctors organisation. Its great when you are inside the tent alright.
What has this got to do with rolling out the vaccine?

Lads why are we even talking about this? Its just typical " knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing ".

2 months ago we didn't have a vaccine, 12 months ago we were faced with a virus that nobody knew anything about, today thats still true to an extent.

We face a simple choice either we vaccinate as many people as we can and try and prevent the deaths of our fellow citizens, 93 today alone, or we vent our spleen on professional peoples income or belittle them by undermining their skills.

Personally I think life is far more important than €60.
Every Euro spent on this is a Euro that isn't spent on something else. We have amongst the highest paid doctors and nurses in the world. We are in the top 15 on healthcare spending in the world yet we have a very young population. This and things like it is the reason we have patients dying on trolleys in hospitals and kids with scoliosis waiting years for treatment. We have a very badly run healthcare system with disjointed oversight and way too much power wielded by the various unions, including the doctors unions.
It is baffling that anyone thinks we shouldn't question this.

Whats the alternative? Honestly how else are we going to protect people?

I'm open to hearing alternatives but I simply can't see the issue here, either we pay or we don't and be left with an economy that will take more lives than the virus.
The alternative is to pay them less to do the same thing. Are GP's going to refuse to administer it?

Som
And it doesn't require a "Healthcare Professional" to administer it.
In America we use them here and they have places where the vaccine can be rolled out including rural areas.

You and others are against the payment that they've negotiated , fine, but my view is the vaccine rollout is paramount and spending months negotiating the price is frankly a waste of time, time that is precious.

Som

In America we use them here and they have places where the vaccine can be rolled out including rural areas.

You and others are against the payment that they've negotiated , fine, but my view is the vaccine rollout is paramount and spending months negotiating the price is frankly a waste of time, time that is precious.
They negotiated it? Really?
It looks like they told the State what they were willing to do it for and the State said "yes boss!"

This should have been sorted in early December and not mid January.
Every monopoly which negotiates with the government have an effective veto over the Government in their specific area. That includes GP's, Consultants, Nurses, Teachers and just about every other part of the State sector.

Yet we have sweet heart deals between government, Doctors and pharmacies and the Bould Leo even engaged in price fixing himself by leaking confidential information on pay to a mate from a rival doctors organisation. Its great when you are inside the tent alright.
That would have created competition within the sector.

They negotiated it? Really?
It looks like they told the State what they were willing to do it for and the State said "yes boss!"
And you know this for a fact? What your feelings are aren't facts.
The truth is not one of us knows what happened.

And you know this for a fact? What your feelings are aren't facts.
The truth is not one of us knows what happened.
I don't know it for a fact but given that the GP's have 100% of the power, they can say yes or no and they negotiate as a single body, what do you think happened? It is telling that they got almost 100% more than the HSE recommended for the over 70's GP card. How do you think that negotiation want?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's a duck.

That would have created competition within the sector.
The point is that the government is very heavy handed with even a sniff of price fixing and anti competition in the private sector yet they collude with price fixing in the public sector.They are not prepared to let stake holders hang out to dry, whether it is teachers, doctors etc

I don't know it for a fact but given that the GP's have 100% of the power, they can say yes or no and they negotiate as a single body, what do you think happened?
Of course they negotiated as a single body thats what representative bodies do, its mirrored all over the economy.
The alternative is 4000 separate negotiations.
I have no idea what happened other than the result.
And as I've said the rollout is more important right now, every resource needs to be used to get the economy, people lives back to something approaching normal.

The point is that the government is very heavy handed with even a sniff of price fixing and anti competition in the private sector yet they collude with price fixing in the public sector.They are not prepared to let stake holders hang out to dry, whether it is teachers, doctors etc
Couldn't agree more. They went after the motor trade which is a low margin business where Union agreements mean much of their wage costs are fixed across the sector and margins on credit are also effectively fixed but they don't go after the so called professions.

Of course they negotiated as a single body thats what representative bodies do, its mirrored all over the economy.
Really? When I quote for work for my multinational customers I don't do so in collusion with my competitors.
Why can't hospitals compete with each other for State contracts? Why can't the State offer prices to GP's who can then decide as individuals whether or not to accept the work?

Every monopoly which negotiates with the government have an effective veto over the Government in their specific area. That includes GP's, Consultants, Nurses, Teachers and just about every other part of the State sector.
The government has monopoly power too when negotiating with those vested interests (nobody else pays teachers) but for some reason it's not using this power.

Really? When I quote for work for my multinational customers I don't do so in collusion with my competitors.
Why can't hospitals compete with each other for State contracts? Why can't the State offer prices to GP's who can then decide as individuals whether or not to accept the work?
Comparing a multinational and our hospitals and health service isn't possible as both are completely different.

I don't even know how to respond to the suggestion of getting our health service to " compete" for state contracts the hospitals are owned by the state and their primary role is to treat illnesses not make a profit.

Back