Defence forces to get 28.5% pay rise

Discussion in 'Economic issues' started by cremeegg, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Itchy

Itchy Frequent Poster

Purple, firstly I think you have misinterpreted my post and, secondly, its innocuous to you but there is actually a serious discussion to be had around these issues. Unfortunately, the level of discussion has descended into the comments thread on thejournal or a politics.ie thread, we even have some Tolstoy poetry.

Its important for people to have a real and solid discussion around security issues and while its very difficult to change some peoples perception bias, I personally hope that there are some readers of the thread that will recognise some of the inane arguments used to do down what is, if you actually see the wood for the trees, is a good, quality and effective organisation that is being damaged and I think we will have to pay for it in the long run. I think the pay issue is a large contributor to that and the information presented by the OP is not in context so its no harm pointing that out even though the real motivation was to look for a cheap cut off them. Conor Lally is an excellent security analyst, I would really recommend you read his stuff for some knowledge in this area. Hes not a frequent IR analyst though.

Its an internet forum after all, if you cant call out a few talking heads whats the point?!

TheBigShort likes this.
  2. cremeegg

cremeegg Frequent Poster

The quote was from Leo Tolstoy the novelist. The poet was Aleksey, his cousin.

Sure. Why not start your own thread about security issues. I started this one about defence forces pay.

Have you any evidence or argument to support this or is it just a "perception bias"

I am sure you are right there.

Taxpayers will have to fork out for a 28.5% pay rise, so hardly cheap

Well if you can't argue your corner like the rest of us, what indeed is the point.

3. monagt

monagt Frequent Poster

Does anyone on this thread earn €21k or less and on fixed term contract?

4. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Frequent Poster

I did once...

5. monagt

monagt Frequent Poster

On a fixed term contract?
    I believe that the contract may not be renewed after the 5 or 8 years (Don't know actual durations) unlike other public service.

6. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Frequent Poster

Yes; I was on a 3.5 year fixed term contract and paid buttons when I was a trainee chartered accountant.

7. Itchy

Itchy Frequent Poster

The way you used it was poetic!

Pay IS a security issue. That's why the Guards got their way. I just don't think thats what the DF should have to do but there does not seem to be any other way that works?

I'll see if I can dig up an IT headline for you

I think so

Its a bargain for the taxpayer! Credit to DPER where its due.

Isn't it interesting that every other PS union are happy the fact that the DF are getting 28.5%? I mean they haven't even used it as leverage to increase their own take. Their members must be in awe of the top class representation of PDFORRA.

Tolstoy isn't an argument!

8. cremeegg

cremeegg Frequent Poster

Some good news at last from the defence forces. From a recent Irish Independent report

PDFORRA revealed today that some 2,840 members left the Defence Forces in the last five years – that’s over 30% of the total enlisted personnel.

Over 1,000 members purchased their discharge – paying a sum of €300 – in those five years, the association said.

Men being forced into soldering to earn a living is as distressing as women being forced into prostitution. It is wonderful to see that the improving economic situation is allowing so many to escape.

9. Purple

Purple Frequent Poster

LOL :D

We need to look at the our defense and security needs as a country. That includes a "Home Office" style department which looks after policing and prisons and a intelligence service which reports to the department of the Taoiseach. I see no need for a conventional army, a proper Civil Defense would make more sense and I certainly see no need for a Navy; a Coast Guard would make much more sense and would be eligible for EU funding.