Defence forces to get 28.5% pay rise

Status
Not open for further replies.
In general, they are told the expected return dates, but their terms are in line with standard military practice in that when on active deployment, the situation is fluid and many things can and do change.

Yes, in the context of their duties as soldiers, not in the context of clerical errors in Dublin.
Cop on, they were told that they would be going home end of September. There was nothing in terms of role as soldiers preventing them from leaving. Another infantry is ready to replace them.
They have a genuine grievance having to stay two weeks longer than was scheduled for no reason relating to their roles and duties as soldiers.
This is not a compensation scam, the amounts payable are derisory considering what it would cost to compensate a private citizen held up for two weeks abroad.

Do you actually have a point to make?

Cop on, they were told that they would be going home end of September. There was nothing in terms of role as soldiers preventing them from leaving. Another infantry is ready to replace them.

So I'm daft because you think the terms of UN deployments somehow guarantee return dates or specific duration of deployments? What made you think they would be covered at that level?

And now I need to cop on?

not in the context of clerical errors in Dublin.

It hasn't been confirmed the clerical error was made in Dublin. There are suggestions it was made in the Lebanese embassy, but those have not been confirmed.

Do you actually have a point to make?

I've made a couple already. Read back through the thread if you need a recap?

Where did I ever state that?

In post #138. You even suggested that I was daft for thinking it was otherwise. It was only yesterday, but in case you can't recall or read back:

Dont be daft. The limitations are not set in legislation. They are set in terms of service for UNDOF.

Im not sure where the return dates or specific duration of deployments are set, but I would hazard a guess that there is a written agreement or understanding between Dept of Defence and PDFORRA?

So now you're not sure, but you're finally on the right track. Now my assumption is that if the terms of any such agreement were breached, the PDFORRA representatives who have spoken over the recent days might have mentioned that, rather than focus as they are on the inconvenience caused and families and children being disappointed. They'd surely make a much better case were they able to do so.

Yes, because you are trolling.

Where have I made an offensive or made an attempt to provoke? Disagreeing and correcting errors is not trolling.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
You have not corrected anything, instead have been corrected.

You incorrectly suggested that I had jumped to a conclusion about being under-resourced - I didn't.

You incorrectly stated that I thought it more plausible that their communications systems were outdated or compromised - I didn't.

You incorrectly stated that I had a 'predilection to blame lack of government funding' - I didn't.

You incorrectly suggested that I was arguing a €1,000 compensation per person is somehow not compensation - I argued no such thing.

As for calling you daft, it was in the context of your question asking what in the Defence Acts or individual contracts states that deployments are for six months only.
That was a daft question in my opinion.

You have stated that soldiers are told the expected dates of return. I would assume that their families are told too?
Here is some material about family support for families with serving members abroad

http://www.military.ie/overseas/family-support/

Somewhat more nuanced in recognizing the issues of members serving abroad and their families at home than your previous 'observations'
They're already getting a compo payment, and the families are wheeling their 'distraught' children out in front of the media looking for more, likening it to Christmas being cancelled.

The commitment to payment of compo, and families demanding more would suggest the opposite.

So im only interested in one thing. That this compensation payment for members of the Irish defence forces serving abroad, who are unduly delayed on return home to their families through matters unrelated to their commitment to serve as soldiers, is fair and reasonable.
It certainly does not amount to a scam or anything like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back