Danske Bank Closure

I have officially complained to Danske. They have 40 days from now to respond. I am asking myself why they felt they could close the accounts that form part of the mortgage but not the mortgage account itself. Its like saying you can have a piggy bank but welding the slot closed.

Farcat..what did the say theyd do if you dont pay it off within 24 months? If they offer me that il have to reject..were done to 1 wage in house and owe a fair bit on card..on my calculations inclu interest itl take me 5 years to pay off and even that be tight !

They say; "If you do not adhere to the repayment terms i.e. in the event you pay less than the fixed monthly payment or miss a payment, Danske Bank may enforce our rights to pursue the entire outstanding balance through our debt collections process"

Tesco are offering 0% on balance transfers for six months, which is pretty good. They seem to be also offering 0% on new purchases for eight months, which is very, very good, unless I'm missing a catch.

AIB Platinum have 3.83% APR on balance transfers for 12 months, which is pretty good, and same on new purchases, which isn't bad.

So the question for me is - will the cost of my balance transfer to Tesco for the 2nd six months at 14.9%, outweigh the savings on the 0% purchases for 8 months?

Just FYI for others, I got my Tesco card, but with a very low credit limit of €3k, less than half what I had with Danske. I'm still waiting for a response from AIB on the credit card application.

Letter of complaint written for Danske. Have told them I want them to continue to honour contract and provide offset arrangement.

Ok folks, page setup

https://www.facebook.com/DanskeRipOff

Spread the word, just share it and please ask those you know to share it.

I made contact with Sinead Ryan from the independent.ie who has been great previously in responding to one of my tweets, she has all the details and will probably drop in on these threads.

Stand firm, enjoy the ride! :D

We have a prestige c/a account and paid €31.25 per quarter,we have not received a letter to close the account as yet, hopefully we can assume we will not be charged the Jan-March quarter fees while we are trying to move to a new bank.We also have a custody account with €20 fees bi annually, there is no mention of the custody accounts or fees on the Danske announcement, any updates on the custody accounts?

Danske Bank website
"Package Fees and Transaction Fees (if applicable) were removed from 1st January 2014 and no longer apply to your account. No charge will apply for first copy of duplicate statements. Other ancillary charges will still apply"

Did anyone with an investment mortgage get a letter yet?

I've got an offset with the prestige account and an investment mortage. Still waiting on the letters.

Can someone else say whats on their letters with the offset, are they saying they're going to sell your mortgage to another providor at current rate - 1% or do you keep your mortgage with Danske @ current rate - 1%.

Did anyone with an investment mortgage get a letter yet?

I've got an offset with the prestige account and an investment mortage. Still waiting on the letters.

Can someone else say whats on their letters with the offset, are they saying they're going to sell your mortgage to another providor at current rate - 1% or do you keep your mortgage with Danske @ current rate - 1%.

Hi,
No they are retaining the mortgage but closing ALL your accounts besides.
They are offering a 1% reduction on the interest rate you are paying now.
They do not say how long this 1% reduction will last.

I have created a group on Facebook for people to share to inform others who have similar accounts.
https://www.facebook.com/DanskeRipOff

Make your complaint to Danske.
Then also email the ombudsman and the central bank.

Sorry I was blind! I have seen the few posts about the credit cards.

Has anyone had confirmation that if you pay the balances off over two years that these will be "Bad marks" on your credit history?

Is there no way that Danske could just transfer the balances to a personal loan arrangement and let you pay them over 2 years.

Has anyone had legal advice or similar on this matter - it seems terribly terribly unfair to get landed with a bad credit rating essentially on the decision of Danske to move, and your inability to pay something off immediately which you have serviced up until now, paid high interest on and also genuinely believed you could pay off over a longer period

I asked about the credit rating...this is the response I got

As long as the repayment plan is adhered to and no payments are missed there will be not detrimental impact on your ICB report.

I received a letter from Danske this morning advising me NOT to close my Current Account until so advised, to ensure that my Custody Account can continue to operate. They will write "in the coming weeks" to outline options for the Custody Account.

Just FYI for others, I got my Tesco card, but with a very low credit limit of €3k, less than half what I had with Danske. I'm still waiting for a response from AIB on the credit card application.

It might be worth mentioning that Tesco turned me down absolutely, despite the fact that I've a substantially above average income, no outstanding debt and considerable savings. It seems they "don't do business" with those who are not standard full time permanent employees.

I'm currently talking to another provider (and looking only for 2.5k) but already this ISN'T enough:
6 months payslips
6 months bank statements
6 months credit card statements
last years P21
Signed copy of my current contract (luckily its 6 more months to run)

In addition to this JUST TO APPLY they want the following:
3 years audited accounts
Evidence of all of my savings with a 3rd institution

And that's just to apply....

Good luck.

Sorry I was blind! I have seen the few posts about the credit cards.

Has anyone had confirmation that if you pay the balances off over two years that these will be "Bad marks" on your credit history?

Is there no way that Danske could just transfer the balances to a personal loan arrangement and let you pay them over 2 years.

Has anyone had legal advice or similar on this matter - it seems terribly terribly unfair to get landed with a bad credit rating essentially on the decision of Danske to move, and your inability to pay something off immediately which you have serviced up until now, paid high interest on and also genuinely believed you could pay off over a longer period

My understanding is that effectively they are stopping the credit facility but if you don't have the account paid in full existing terms and conditions of oustanding credit still apply - i.e. you basically keep paying until its paid off. I'm not entirely sure that they can legally demand that you pay the outstanding amount in full by a certain date unless that was what was originally agreed in the terms of credit.

So basically as long as you continue to pay the minimum payment or the payment % you originally agreed, I am not sure that legally they can actually demand the amount to be even paid within 2 years. That might be worth talking to FLAC or similar consumer organisation about, if nobody else has.

I received a letter from Danske this morning advising me NOT to close my Current Account until so advised, to ensure that my Custody Account can continue to operate. They will write "in the coming weeks" to outline options for the Custody Account.

Me too.

Danske credit card and overdraft

Hi. I spoke to Danske about paying off credit card balances and overdraft blances, which I told them I could not do in 2 years as stated in the original documentation that I was sent when told that they were closing the accounts. I was told not to worry as a facility was in place to allow people up to 7 years to pay off the debt. I completed the application forms and am nowj ust waiting for that to be finalized.

Last edited:
Hi. I spoke to Danske about paying off credit card balances and overdraft blances, which I told them I could not do in 2 years as stated in the original documentation that I was sent when told that they were closing the accounts. I was told not to worry as a facility was in place to allow people up to 7 years to pay off the debt. I completed the application forms and am nowj ust waiting for that to be finalized.

Did they tell you what interest rates would be applicable and what impact these alternative facilities would have on your ICB record etc ?

Thank you.

Danske's latest mail says that custody accounts will be switched to Goodbody by default or anyone else you'd prefer. I only had a quick glance at the letter so I don't know the details.

It's a real shame as Danske's platform was excellent. Goodbody's regular fees are here for those interested.

[broken link removed].

I've just asked for a call back in relation to my custody account. I have some untradeable Anglo/IBRC shares on them and I want to shut down my account before it migrates over to Goodbody's. I'm sure I'm not the only person with such shares stuck in their custody account; I'll post back here when I find out how to get rid of them.

Update - I got through to their Custody account folks, and they emailed me a form to sign that where I indicate that I relinquish all ownership of the shares to Danske Bank.
Once the shares are removed, the account can be closed (this instruction can be added to the form)

Last edited:
Anyone closing a Danske Credit Card account, make sure they send you a ‘’Letter of Closure’’

This letter confirms you have paid the Government Stamp Duty for the current chargeable period, 02/04/13 – 01/04/14.

Your new provider should not apply the €30.00 Government Duty until 02/04/15, if you produce this letter.

Hi,

That is an important one alright, thank you.

Also there is a need to return your unused cheques and insist you get a refund of stamp duty - there should be no problem doing this, but best to act quickly before your account is closed, if you simply want them to put funds back into your Danske current account and not spend a while chasing them for a refund cheque.

Anything else we need to be doing here - are there charges for debit cards etc ?

There are a good few of us who have lodged complaints to the ombudsman after getting the standard blurb from Danske.
It will be interesting to see what happens.

Time is getting closer now to the closing of the current accounts. Would I be in any breach if I just pay the mortgage repayment directly into the account and not bother with a direct debit set up
Defo dont want to jeopardize my tracker and have asked dansk if I can go that route but surprise surprise they said no its not an option

Back