Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the 'what the hell, we will all go down together' attitude is a lot more prevalent that you'd think. Its a typically Irish ahsureistic attitude and speaks volumes for a folk memory of a society where social cohesion was remarkable by its persistence, through war and famine. Whether it will survive the next decade or so is questionable.

Ah BJ - Im on to you now!

if anything....a very soft landing....most people wont be affected
Kev and Brian are really Ant & Dec and yis are just buzzin' us trying to rise a response out of the more high strung posters on this thread!

another persons sentiment? anyone see the BLIND FAITH in our economy and the BLIND FAITH in our government? Today 09:20 PM

well it does beg the question - what - if the more vocal cassandras on this thread are correct and the market does start going into meltdown this side of the next election - what exactly will be response of the powers that be - the gov? - apart from doing a passable Wiley Coyote Impression 2 seconds before Boulder Impact!

As for the rest of this lunatic asylum of a country - I can just picture it now

A typically mature response from Fine Gael - "its all FF and PDs fault - we knew this would happen all the time and we warned ya - even tho we didn't na na na na"

Labour and Pat Rabitte will come up with some pointed witty enjoiners - which as per usual they will have completely misjudged the mood of the mob and will harden the general opinion that Rabbitte is just too much of smug smartarse to let into government (even tho IMO he isnt - even if I dont agree with his politics)

Joe Higgins will be out organising the Bolshevik takeover of suburban Dublin

The Greens will say that if we had all built environmentally friendly housing sure there would be no loss in Value of the properties.

Gerry Adams and Sinners will come out with the original solution that property prices will once again start rising if we could only get the Brits out of the North - their standard solution to every issue from Global warming to Drunk driving.

David MCwilliams will have a smile on his face that can only be removed by large doses of laser surgery.

The RTE Sensationaist Squad will spring into Action -

Gerry Ryan interviewing disraught homeowners with particular attention being paid to malfunctioning toilets and overflowing septic tanks

Pat Kenny will of course get the big scoop - interviewing the tearful widow of some poor unfortunate who tops himself when the realization that he was going to be living in Castleknock/neilstown for the rest of his natural life sank in.

Charlie Bird gets beaten up by a crowd of irate Rugger mums wielding Gucci Bags who are protesting outside the Dail.

Joe Duffy has to get an ear transplant every 2 months until finally he pleads insanity , picks up his little book of calm and retreats to an igloo on the South Pole for the forseeable future.

Bono holds a huge concert in the Phoenix Park to Campaign for Debt Relief for Adamstown - the banks generously donate 50 grand each and an umbrella for everybody in the audience emblazoned with "Sucker"

OK OK enough - maybe thats getting a bit surreal - anyway the grownups on the thread will givin out about GOING OFF TOPIC and the like !

G'Night

I shall now give my prediction 40% - 60% drop within 18 months,the further away from dublin the bigger the drop.

I shall now give my prediction 40% - 60% drop within 18 months,the further away from dublin the bigger the drop.

There is alot more people in Ireland than just Dublin. Just becuase FTB's or trader uppers in Dublin and the suburbs are paying 400k+ for a box over 35 years, there is the equilivant FTB, trader uppers in the counties of Ireland that are taking out 400k to build 3,000 sq foot monsters.

The reduction in the property prices of houses in itself doesn't really have me losing sleep as I think the houses are completely overpriced - its the knockon effect it will have on jobs. Most people don't mention it enough, but most homes in the past 5 years have been bought with 2 wages/salaries to pay for them. When the job losses do come in the building sector and the resulting business sectors that feed off it - where will people get the money to pay for the 400K mortgage? It doesn't matter if the house is only worth 300-350k - where's the wages to pay the mortgage?

People are living unsustainable lives on 2 wages at the moment - what will happen if there is only 1 wage?

Repossessions, divorce and suicides!

David MCwilliams will have a smile on his face that can only be removed by large doses of laser surgery.

Charlie Bird gets beaten up by a crowd of irate Rugger mums wielding Gucci Bags who are protesting outside the Dail.

Bono holds a huge concert in the Phoenix Park to Campaign for Debt Relief for Adamstown - the banks generously donate 50 grand each and an umbrella for everybody in the audience emblazoned with "Sucker"

G'Night
LMAO:D

I'm never really convinced by this. I think that you will see the greatest proportional drops in those places that have seen the greatest proportional rises so I think that some parts of Dublin are heading for a shock too.

208 properties for sale in Lucan

17 <= 2 beds
133 = 3 beds
58 >= 4 bed

Prices are starting to drop.

I'm never really convinced by this. I think that you will see the greatest proportional drops in those places that have seen the greatest proportional rises so I think that some parts of Dublin are heading for a shock too.

I agree. Two examples of 3-bed semi's I've been keeping an eye on. If we assume the values of each will revert to a reasonable rental yield of, say, 6%....

Stamullen - 25 miles from Dublin - current asking price €315k, current asking rent €1050 @ 6% yield = €210k or a drop of 33%.

Collinswood D9 - current asking price €550, current asking rent €1350 @ 6% yield = €270k or a drop of 51%

It's a simplistic comparison I admit, but it does show that central area's shouldn't be exempt if the market returns to reasonable, historical norms. In fact, they may be hit quite hard especially when the trader-uppers can't get out of Commuterville because of negative or inadequate equity.

NCB are very bullish about property in a commentary out this morning

"There has been much comment of late on the extent to which the Irish economy is "dependent" on the construction sector. Apart from the fact that it routinely overstates the case, such comment is banality masquerading as economic analysis. .... the current pace of house building is entirely consistent with underlying growth in demand. ... Rather than fearing it, the gloomsters would be better served celebrating such well0-underpinned dependency." So there!!! Yez are all idiots, as far as NCB are concerned.

I can't believe these guys - did they hire Sherry Fitz to write that report????

They are mistaking depend to buy houses with demand for houses to live in. Low, stagnant rents = no shortage of housing supply. Speculative element in the property market = massive demand for properties to buy.

Remove the speculative element and POP!, there goes their well-underpinned dependency!

7 times out of 10 (complete quess) people will always choose location over space when trading up. My MDT (Mixed developement Theory) states that large 3/4 properties in newly developed urdan areas (D15, Adamstown etc) will tkae the biggest hit.

I can't believe these guys - did they hire Sherry Fitz to write that report????

They are mistaking depend to buy houses with demand for houses to live in. Low, stagnant rents = no shortage of housing supply. Speculative element in the property market = massive demand for properties to buy.

Remove the speculative element and POP!, there goes their well-underpinned dependency!
Exactly my thoughts, these guys have some neck

Exactly my thoughts, these guys have some neck

What gets me is they're Stock Brokers.... they should be talking up the stock market, not the property market.

My only conclusion is that a property slump would cause such massive damage to the ISE that these guys have now decided that they could lose more than they gain by trumpeting stocks as a better investment than property....

NCB are very bullish about property in a commentary out this morning

"There ...................d.

These were the muppets who recently forecast everything is hunky dory for at least the next 15 years..........such vision. The odds are money on that there gonna wish they kept silent on the issue.

Yes, but what's even more worrying is that its alot more than 1 or 2. If I know at least 5-6 people who have/are doing it - how many people do you know have done it. Its probably the couple who didn't have any spare money a year or two ago and now seem to have the new car, back from the foreign holiday and they have done up the living room and bought the new TV and kitchen. Do you know any one these people and do you really think they paid "cash" for all of this - all in the space of say 6-12 months?

I had previously said that one big difference between a property meltdown here and in the U.S. was that at least Irish people didn't succumb to the "house-as-an-ATM" mentality like the Americans did. However, I'm becoming less and less convinced of this. I live in an area that wouldn't harbour many of the country's wealthy elite but the number of 06 cars and SUVs around is staggering. I can only assume a lot of them were bought using mortgage "top-ups".

272 mortgage top-ups were taken out every day last year at an average amount of almost €90k. Scary stuff.

You have to admire NCB's hutspa, these guys have balls of steel. I love the way they trawl through the data to find an argument, any argument that supports world beating indebtedness, falling yields, falling competitiveness, housing over supply and signs that the global credit splurge is ending. You really have to stand back in awe at this type of 'turd polishing'.

BTW the IMF has issued another warning, [broken link removed]

Has the initial run for the exits started in expensive Terenure ?

Bushy park house now has 7 apartments for sale ([broken link removed]). I think that's a total of 9 this year.

I don't remember seeing any of these apartments going on sale last year. Anyone?

Has the initial run for the exits started in expensive Terenure ?

Bushy park house now has 7 apartments for sale ([broken link removed]). I think that's a total of 9 this year.

I don't remember seeing any of these apartments going on sale last year. Anyone?

650k for a freehold? Whoever buys one of those is a class A* idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back