Crisis - debts due to gambling

Well this is progress. Do not let the drink replace the gambling. Take it easy and reduce the intake to the odd nights, down to the when you have a few bevvies with your girlfriend. Don't mess her about. Hard to get kind understanding women these days.
I was the first that picked up on your post. I now hope,for all the right reasons, to be one of the last. Hopefully you will be able to change your name to 'Clever Boy' as the Stupid Boy appears to be gone.

Remember though, you're not out of the woods yet but the really hard part has been done:

1. Admitting to your problem and startign to do something about it.
2. Telling your girlfriend and getting her total support.

Keep up the GA, don't think you've beaten it yet! Remember, you thought you ahd before! Don't let yourself or your girlfriend ever get that far apart in honesty terms again. If you can't continue on thios good road you've satrted on your own, she will be ther to help you (by all your accounts).

Hope you have a great future together.

Well done Stupid Boy - I really hope it all works out for you, fair play to you for coming clean - thats the hardest part done.

Please be careful with the drink, thats no way to go given you may have an addictive personality - you dont want to be attending both GA and AA!!!

Hope all the best comes out of this for you.

I'm so pleased you told your girlfriend stupidboy, I almost had a tear in my eye when I read your post, it's great that she was so understanding and she's dealing with it and helping you to get sorted. Best of luck with it all.

I'd like to add my congratulations. It was a very hard thing to come clean with your girlfriend. The fact that she took it like she did and was able to work with you shows you that she thinks you are worth the investment.

I'd suggest that you share the highs and lows with her, and there will be lows. A problem shared etc.

You are right, you are lucky to have another chance at 23. Make the most of it.

Folks I can't thank you enough for all your support... I realise it sounds weird given the fact that it's an online forum but it really did give me the strength to tell my girlfriend what had happened... just writing it down here has helped me soo much... so thanks again!!

Just so we all know where i'm at... loan with AIB has been paid off and I will be paying 1,500 of the Bank of Ireland CC next friday... fingers crossed I'll be out of this disaster in 6 months time and can really look forward to life with a nice bonus from work and a pay increase!!!

Clever Boy -- One last job. How about making an honest woman of your girlfriend. She has stood by you !! Maybe time for an engagement ring ? Now that will focus your mind on something completely different, and all for the better. Think about it and the best of luck to you.

Clever Boy -- One last job. How about making an honest woman of your girlfriend. She has stood by you !! Maybe time for an engagement ring ? Now that will focus your mind on something completely different, and all for the better. Think about it and the best of luck to you.

I can hardly afford to blow my nose at the minute never mind buy an engagement ring... :eek: but yeah it's in the pipeline just going to wait until I get back on my feet and then it'll be full steam ahead... THANKS AGAIN FOLKS!

addiction is a *****, you need help, for some people its drugs or alcohol but clearly for yout it's gambling, and the thrill of winning is equally as powerful as the pain/thrill of losing, until you break that cycle all the advice in the world won't fix you.

its a horrible situation, and even if you come clean and give all your money to your GF it won't fix the demons, you need to sort your own head out etc.

good luck, get into a programme soon and get yourself right

Eh .... MortgageGuy, you're about seven weeks late with your Post. I think at this stage the OP has heard the same from plenty of others and has realised his mistake. No point in keeping blaming him for his weakness.

Back