Compensation for mica contaminated blocks in houses.

noproblem

In my humble opinion, I feel the home owners are getting well compensated for their houses, but they say they want 100% compensation from the tax payer. 100% of what exactly and why aren't the block makers being sued? What do others think?

Can't understand why the state is liable when they weren't involved in the transaction. Do builders have any responsibility for the product they build?

Builders probably don't existing anymore, or didn't have adequate PL insurance to cover something like this, and same for the quarries. Very hard to prove what stone came from what quarry to what house build 10 or 20 years later.

But the 100% does grate a little - should the State really be footing the bill to rectify McMansions?

Why can’t people claim on their house insurance? Probably a stupid question but I don’t know the answer.

It is not the government who are paying for this, it is us the taxpayers. Plus they still own the land and the foundations are still good, no blocks there. So it is replace the walls floors and roof. I assume a lot of the items, doors, windows, slates etc can be re-used?

Why can’t people claim on their house insurance? Probably a stupid question but I don’t know the answer.

It is not the government who are paying for this, it is us the taxpayers. Plus they still own the land and the foundations are still good, no blocks there. So it is replace the walls floors and roof. I assume a lot of the items, doors, windows, slates etc can be re-used?
We are paying for electing political leaders who failed to regulate the Building industry,
In other words, we have to pay for the visitors to the Galway tent, We are only at the start of the mica contamination problem it is expected to run into billions,

A listener to Today with Claire Byrne suggested that the valuation used for the local property tax be used. That would be an interesting study to compare that valuation and what’s now being claimed.

Builders probably don't existing anymore, or didn't have adequate PL insurance to cover something like this, and same for the quarries. Very hard to prove what stone came from what quarry to what house build 10 or 20 years later.

But the 100% does grate a little - should the State really be footing the bill to rectify McMansions?
They are giving the McMansions 25000 of taxpayers money as it is,

If compensation/redress is to be paid should it not be in line with the rebuild cost as outlined in their house insurance policies (assuming they have one)

Could the insurance providers not stump up some of the cost? Eventually if the houses crumble to pieces and the entire building collapses surely it’s an insurance claim just as if it were destroyed by fire due to defective wiring?

If my house falls down tomorrow and I make a claim on my policy I only get the rebuild cost plus the value of contents specified (after excess of course)

If compensation/redress is to be paid should it not be in line with the rebuild cost as outlined in their house insurance policies (assuming they have one)

Could the insurance providers not stump up some of the cost? Eventually if the houses crumble to pieces and the entire building collapses surely it’s an insurance claim just as if it were destroyed by fire due to defective wiring?
the electrical end of house building is well regulated, it is not just the house the taxpayer is on the hoof for mental illness and a host of other issues connected to their failure to regulate,

Last edited:
the electrical end of house building is well regulated,
Yes that’s true. But don’t the regulations/standards change and increase often. There’s also little comeback I guess. Do the insurance companies chase the electrician? I dint think they look for certs of compliance do they if there was a fire.

The point I guess is if it’s defective (no matter what the defect- blocks, electrics etc) isn’t it an insurance payout if the house is badly damaged? Perhaps not

Yes that’s true. But don’t the regulations/standards change and increase often. There’s also little comeback I guess. Do the insurance companies chase the electrician? I dint think they look for certs of compliance do they if there was a fire.

The point I guess is if it’s defective (no matter what the defect- blocks, electrics etc) isn’t it an insurance payout if the house is badly damaged? Perhaps not
You are missing the point the state failed to regulate,

You are missing the point the state failed to regulate,
Does that mean everything we eat, drink, build, create, invent, read, teach, etc, etc, has to be state regulated? Very easy for you to say someone's missing the point and only the state is responsible. Think about it, someone manufactured the blocks, a builder did the build, an engineer gave a cert, an insurance co insured the place. Then the whole thing turns to dust and Joe the plumber has to pay for the lot. Don't get me wrong, I feel for the homeowners too, but someone's getting off scot free in all of this. I've no idea who in Goverment took responsibility for this in the first place, but whoever it was that went public was wrong to do so. Oh, just my opinion.

Valery above makes a great point about the house valuation on the Local Property tax paid. Very interesting.

Last edited:
I dont mind the homeowners getting something it has to be very stressful. Should be based on the insurance they took and re build costs on that. I dont see how the state can say 100 percent no matter what. Also adding in compensation for mental health etc. Is just plain wrong. After all its everyone else paying for it. I dont know though if weve any politician with the courage to go against 100 percent

A listener to Today with Claire Byrne suggested that the valuation used for the local property tax be used. That would be an interesting study to compare that valuation and what’s now being claimed.
Market value Vs cost of (re) building can be two very different numbers.

Given we are talking about structures that are crumbling the market value is probably the going price for the residential land it sits upon.

I would though the current owners could argue a good case that prop tax is zero.

As others have said, why not claim off insurance.

If there is to be government involvement why not an annual subsidy for those effected households that now face higher insurance premium as a result of making a claim. Could go a step further and cover their excess.

At the end of 5 years people have a rebuilt house, no claim bonus should be where it was before the claim and the cost to the State is surely a fraction of what is being claimed now.

As others have said, why not claim off insurance.
Because insurance won't retrospectively cover building defects.

Builders should be legally liable for building defects found within ten years of construction. Sure, this will be expensive to insure against and will be passed on to consumers. But it's probably better than ad hoc state schemes like this.

Builders should be legally liable for building defects found within ten years of construction. Sure, this will be expensive to insure against and will be passed on to consumers. But it's probably better than ad hoc state schemes like this.

We seem pretty good at building rubbish stuff (mica, pyrite, self certification for fire standards etc.). We have the likes of the deposit guarantee schemes in banking why not in the building sector also.

As you say it will push up the final cost to the buyer. Some people will argue now is not a good time to introduce this as it might reduce supply. The counter argument is there is never a good time not to have such a policy in place.

Back