Compensation for mica contaminated blocks in houses.

thread about the Mica claims here: https://twitter.com/EDoherty_tweets/status/1445511064838234126

having read it, I still think not enough has been done to pursue those responsible for the faulty materials. It states in the thread that the suppliers didn't have the appropriate level of insurance - were they prosecuted? Were they sued anyway? They must have some assets, apparently they're still in business.
Prosecuted under what legislation?

Prosecuted under criminal (or tort?) law for gross negligence/lack of duty of care?

under the assumption that they're legally obliged to carry a certain level of insurance cover?

I don't know TBH, it seems incredible that a supplier could supply thousands of faulty blocks and suffer no consequences. This wasn't in the 1970s, it was relatively recent.

it is all very very strange why the company (blocks) or its owners/directors were not sued. I never heard of any other business saying "sorry we have no insuarance so you cant sue us" and the aggrieved customers accept that. theres more to this than meets the eye

it is all very very strange why the company (blocks) or its owners/directors were not sued.
If it was the odd self build it could be difficult to prove. Very few people keep invoices and delivery notes from 20 years ago.

But for hundreds of houses - including estates - it should be pretty easy to prove the source of the blocks.

If you were familiar with the topic you would know that it's Cassidy Brothers and they have been named in the national media and have even issued press statements on the mater. I'm not sure what to make of your comment.

If you were familiar with the topic you would know that it's Cassidy Brothers and they have been named in the national media and have even issued press statements on the mater. I'm not sure what to make of your comment.
My point isn't about who supplied the blocks. My point is about the difficulty of proving blame, negligence or whatever in Court. It's not as simple as saying 'everyone knows'. How many people can prove where they bought the blocks used to build their house 10-20 years ago?

Back