Chest Freezers any thoughts?

I bought a larder type freezer for a shed a few years ago, at that time the only brand I could find that stated it was suitable for a shed /outbuildings was Beko, I purchased a Beko and find ithe larder style very handy. I had a chest type previously but there were a lot if items in the bottom way out of date!

I bought a larder type freezer for a shed a few years ago, at that time the only brand I could find that stated it was suitable for a shed /outbuildings was Beko, I purchased a Beko and find ithe larder style very handy. I had a chest type previously but there were a lot if items in the bottom way out of date!

What would be special about a shed - other than operational temperature range and normal ventilation? We have had freezers in the shed for years without any issue.
Agree with you about larder v chest styles.

Does it matter about "out of date" in the freezer? What's the maximum time? I've stuff that's a year old for sure and wouldn't be concerned about it, until now!

Does it matter about "out of date" in the freezer? What's the maximum time? I've stuff that's a year old for sure and wouldn't be concerned about it, until now!

It depends on the Freezer temperature and star rating ( and also the condition of the food being frozen in the first place). I'd guess most freezers nowadays are 4 star ( but not nessessarily frozen food comparments). You need to keep it to -18 celsius.

What would be special about a shed - other than operational temperature range and normal ventilation? We have had freezers in the shed for years without any issue.
Agree with you about larder v chest styles.
The only concern I had regarding the shed was the temperatures and when I checked on Which they mentioned the Beko brand, I had no place in my house for the freezer so had to put it in the shed. Something happened to my friends freezer during that exceptionally cold winter spell in 2010 (which of course was full) and the fact it was in her shed she had a lot of hassle with her insurance.

When I said out of date , the items were out of date a few years because it was a big chest freezer and some items just went to the bottom of freezer so that is why I would not use them.

Something happened to my friends freezer during that exceptionally cold winter spell in 2010 (which of course was full) and the fact it was in her shed she had a lot of hassle with her insurance.

I hadn't really considered it before. I just checked ours and it says the normal ambient operating temperature is down to -5 celsius. I'd assume that there is some leeway with this in practice but that probably wouldn't cut it in the event of an insurance claim.

Still, it is not as issue I would be unduly concerned about.

I contacted DID about their charges recently. I was told that there was a €60 delivery charge and a €65 instalment charge for a fridge freezer. I enquired about the instalment charge and I was told because it was an American fridge freezer two people would have to deliver it. Would this not be included in the €60 delivery charge?

When pressed I was told that it also required plumbing. However I explained that this model did not need plumbing they then referred back to the two person having to deliver. How can they justify adding 10% to the purchase price for delivery/instalment?

I contacted DID about their charges recently

They try to sell you a professional instalment of item package that includes the taking away of your old electrical item included in the price. You click on this and pay the price. Yet, not very visible on their site is that they will take your old electrical item away "free of charge". So I have never quite got to the bottom of the professional instalment package.....what it actually involves.

I called to a Dublin Southside outlet of DID last week looking for a specific item that I researched online. This shop did not have one in stock but said that their Tallaght store had one....however he did not know if it was a shop display item or if it had any dents etc.

We left the shop not really happy with the service. No offer was made to phone the Tallaght store for us.

This week we decided to go back online and made a phone call to their head office....who said that they had 7 of the items that we wanted in their warehouse. They didn't know what the person telling us that there was one in Tallaght (condition unknown) was talking about.

My own view was that the guy wanted us to buy something else in his shop rather than direct us to an online sale.

So I have never quite got to the bottom of the professional instalment package.....what it actually involves.

After purchasing an item online this is part of an email I received from DID...…….."Due to Covid-19 our deliveries are carried out with one delivery man, if this requires a two man team or to be carried upstairs, unfortunately we cannot do at this time due to social distancing. However, our driver can drop the appliance off to the door.

There is no mention of this during the buying process. I need my appliance delivered in to my kitchen area and not dropped off at the front door. I am not sure if a fridge comes under the "two man team" rule. They have my money now though.......so be warned.

After purchasing an item online this is part of an email I received from DID.

You bought online, you automatically have a cooling-off period. Contact them and cancel if it doesn't suit.

A lot of suppliers and delivery companies won't allow their drivers to enter your home now though, so if looking elsewhere, get confirmation in advance.

A lot of suppliers and delivery companies won't allow their drivers to enter your home now though, so if looking elsewhere, get confirmation in advance.

They should say this in their delivery terms before you buy the product. See below.

To get an email like the one below after you have bought and paid for something is a bit rich. Why not put that information in their delivery terms?

"Due to Covid-19 our deliveries are carried out with one delivery man, if this requires a two man team or to be carried upstairs, unfortunately we cannot do at this time due to social distancing. However, our driver can drop the appliance off to the door.

They try to sell you a professional instalment of item package that includes the taking away of your old electrical item included in the price. You click on this and pay the price. Yet, not very visible on their site is that they will take your old electrical item away "free of charge". So I have never quite got to the bottom of the professional instalment package.....what it actually involves.

I'm glad that I did not opt for their professional instalment service. In my case my fridge freezer was delivered to my kitchen in it's packaging and left there. You cannot plug in your fridge freezer for a couple of hours anyhow, to give it time to settle.

Effectively the professional instalment service in my case would have been the removal of the packaging in situ and the taking away of the packaging. Nothing else as I would have been left to plug it in myself two hours later. This would have cost me €39.99.

I removed the packaging, plugged it in after two hours and then disposed of the packaging.

As a follow on to my above post. I had a noise problem with the fridge freezer that I bought from DID. I contacted then and they just gave me the phone number of the manufacturer and asked me to contact them. They had no interest in doing this on my behalf.

Back