Chest Freezers any thoughts?

BOXtheFOX

I am thinking of buying a chest freezer. If Covid-19 and Flu is bad over the coming winter I am happy to go in to hibernation. I will not panic buy but start building up some extra supplies now. I have found at the moment that I do not need to visit the supermarket that often except for bread and milk. So I suppose I need somewhere to store these items.
I would be interested to hear the views from those people who have one of these. Maybe I just need a smaller freezer with side door rather than top door? Do people keep these in their garage?

We have one in the shed. We keep ice, bread, a reserve of meat etc in it and other bits and pieces. I think it’s handy to have.

We got one back in March and keep it in the shed. So far it's been great to have given we are shopping less frequently and in bigger bulk.

We have one in the shed also - but one of the larger capacity front opening ones (but still under counter size). It is so much handier than a previous chest freezer. It is a great stand-by.

We have one in the shed. We keep ice, bread, a reserve of meat etc in it and other bits and pieces. I think it’s handy to have.
Any problem with mice etc chewing away at wires or similar? My garage has a socket fed from another socket in my house. We use this house socket for our TV and laptops. Just wondering if a chest freezer would be an extra pull on the electricity. Just don't want to overload the one socket?

We have a standard under counter freezer in the kitchen and a large chest freezer in the garage.
The garage freezer is used for extra supplies but has also paid for itself many times over when there are special offers in the butchers / fish shops.

I have both, regular tall upright with 5 drawers for everyday use and a small chest freezer upstairs for back up stuff, lot of milk in it and larger items like chickens etc. For ease of use you can't beat the upright as you can allocate drawers to veg/bread/fruit/meat etc. I have always been one for stocking up and you can obviously avail of bargains as they arise. I had stocked up in advance of any announcements as I didn't like the look of the news coming out and I have only had one big supermarket shop since early March. I've needed a few bits and pieces, ran out of frozen veg even with all I had so my shop of choice is Iceland these days for a few bits as the place is always empty and you can park right outside the door for free :)

I only have a small wooden shed with no power so no room there but make sure if you're buying one for a shed it's suitable for the temperatures, can't remember the specifics but not all are suitable for keeping in sheds or garages.

I suppose it depends how much you want to freeze/store. I have 200l one as back up together with the upright one. Just me :)

Bread/milk takes up good bit of space. You can also store flour/yeast in there just in case, both were in very short supply as well recently.

Warning:- I've had a "thing" about freezers for years. Some people are wary of spiders, some of snakes, some of live wing waving turkeys but mine is top loading freezers. I have a fear that children playing can use a disused top loading freezer for hide-and-seek etc and die of asphyxiation. I cringe every time I see one and can't understand why some people store old top loading freezers n the sheds and garages.

I am a fan of chest freezers in any situation.

If you are throwing a bar-b-que when Covid-19 is over and have a top loading freezer, please don't invite me. Get rid of that disused top loading freezer now, please!

Warning:- I've had a "thing" about freezers for years. Some people are wary of spiders, some of snakes, some of live wing waving turkeys but mine is top loading freezers. I have a fear that children playing can use a disused top loading freezer for hide-and-seek etc and die of asphyxiation. I cringe every time I see one and can't understand why some people store old top loading freezers n the sheds and garages.

I am a fan of chest freezers in any situation.

If you are throwing a bar-b-que when Covid-19 is over and have a top loading freezer, please don't invite me. Get rid of that disused top loading freezer now, please!
I'm confused by your post. To me, a chest freezer and a top loading freezer are the same thing. Is there a "not" missing in your post?

A friend of mine had one, an old one. Got rid of it and his leccy bill halved.
I’m sure the modern ones are A rated though.

Thanks. I know of someone who bought and bought stuff to put in their chest freezer. Then panicked because they thought the stored food was past it's use date and threw everything in the bin?

I have this fear that I might become addicted to special offers and just buy for the sake of buying. I want to be sensible in my buying and eat the food that I purchase.

I am surrounded by supermarkets. All the names are there including Marks & Spencer and Donnybrook Fair. Part of me is saying that I should just let them be my chest freezer and buy as needs be.

Having said that I find that there are a lot of people shopping in supermarkets who have no clue about social distancing and that concerns me.

Chest freezer to me is a top loading one as in it's like a treasure chest shape :) Must be a 'not' missing.

I always stocked up, as much to avail of special offers and to avoid having to shop too regularly, would annoy me no end having to pop to shops even couple of times a week for food and I have every supermarket you could want within short enough distance. Every now and then I do a no shop month and just use whatever is in the freezer, that way stuff doesn't get left in there for ages.

Frozen food has a lifespan of 3-12 months depending on what it is. If stocking up, make sure you rotate so you don't end up with half a freezer full of stuff no longer fit for consumption.

Back