Chest Freezers any thoughts?

Depends on the freezer, a lot of stuff lasts an awful lot longer than that, the only thing I find that really does not age well in a freezer is fish or perhaps some pre frozen bought stuff. I know mashed potato lasts very well in my upright freezer but in my Dad's fridge freezer it has a much shorter life span, his freezer is clearly not as good as a stand alone one.

Good packaging is vital too.

I knew someone who had a chest freezer and kept a log book of the contents. Expiry dates were recorded and items were logged in and out. Probably an app for that now. I admit I thought it OTT. But having just emptied my freezer, I've found meat from species that are probably extinct now. Freeze and forget.

They are great for bulky items which may be on sale - pizzas, chickens and bread and also baked goods too. We have a small one in the small shed and keep it for “bargain” stocking up.
However they do need to be emptied as stuff can be in there for years. We as farmers used to have it almost empty before getting the annual animal butchered and popped in there.

I think I worded my post insufficiently. What I meant by top loading is the type that you have to open a long door on a horizontal kind of "casket" freezer. I have no problem with the upright chest freezers.

We're getting rid of the chest freezer. We had to move it to the garage when we bought an American style fridge freezer. So, out of sight, out of mind. Something blew a fuse and the chest freezer defrosted unbeknownst to me. I thought somebody's cat had died in our very cluttered garage. Realised what had happened, emptied it and waiting to get rid. Keeping it on but empty to avoid smell. No need for large chest freezer anymore. Fridge freezer holds enough for 2 for a week or two during lockdown.

I always keep a written inventory list of the spare freezer contents and cross off or add to it as needed. Essential I think with a chest freezer as they are a nuisance to root around in, upright is much handier from that point of view as you have drawers and can arrange stuff better so nothing gets lost!

Good idea having a freezer month or freezer week. The non diary milks are handy for cereal. Coconut and almond nice in porridge and don't need the fridge until opened.

Most of the non-dairy milks have non-chilled versions that can be stored for months at room temperature until opened. Dunnes, SuperValu and Tesco has regular substantial discounts on these, at different times to each other. There was always one retailer selling them at half price, and I’d buy 8 or 16 in one go.
I don’t see these discounts anymore though.

Leave it out to thaw over night and give it agood shake next morning as good as fresh!

I am surrounded by supermarkets. All the names are there including Marks & Spencer and Donnybrook Fair. Part of me is saying that I should just let them be my chest freezer and buy as needs be.

I am happy to let the local supermarkets be my warehouse. There are enough of them about, each with their own special offers. You can hop from one to the other and pick their specials. I don't get caught up in the Dunnes Stores €10 off for a €50 spend as I think many of their products are overpriced. The only reason why I would buy a chest freezer would be if the pandemic comes back with a bang or the virus mutates for the worst. Then I am afraid it's total lockdown for me and a chest freezer would be needed.

I can't imagine anything worse than having to go from shop to shop, bad enough to have to do one shop but visiting them all is my idea of a nightmare! I used to have to do that because of my business as different ones had different specials as you say and I tried to do it one morning a week but it's a pain. I have lots of time to do it but it's not how I would want to spend time :)

I sold a fine freezer about two weeks before lockdown, if I had held off a couple of weeks I could have got double the money for it as there wasn't a freezer to be got anywhere as everyone suddenly needed to buy one. Too late to buy it when everyone wants one :) In normal life you can pick them up secondhand on FB selling pages for half nothing, got a great undercounter one for 50 quid few years ago.

I was looking to purchase a new fridge freezer from DID. There was a delivery charge of €60. If I wanted there was an additional fee for the following.

Professional Installation Removal of old appliance & packaging

This is adding another €65 to the bill. So €125 in total.

The professional installation consists of plugging the fridge in and taking away the packaging and my old fridge.

Is this a bit steep?

This is adding another €65 to the bill.

It gets even more ridiculous when you see the cost of the "professional installation" of a lesser costing fridge. The fridges costing about €1000 and the cost is €65. The fridges costing €400 and the cost is €30.

Despite the fact that the packaging for both fridges is almost identical, putting the plug in the wall is the same for both fridges. Taking away your old fridge is the same in both cases.

It seems you are being charged extra because you are buying a more expensive fridge.

Professional Installation Removal of old appliance

I didn't think they could charge for such removal, according to their site:

Will you take my old unit away when I order for delivery?
We'll collect your large appliance from you so long as it's been disconnected and is ready to go for our driver at the time of delivery

So if you unplug the old fridge freeze and have it "ready" for collection (i.e. unplugged) then they should take it as part of the WEEE recycling, which you should not be charged for. You haven't availed of their "professional installation costs".

According to WEE site:
Home Deliveries
In the case of home deliveries, electrical retailers and their subcontractors are obliged to offer a free WEEE take back service on a ‘like for like’ basis.

• Retailers must provide 24 hours’ notice of a delivery in order to allow the customer to disconnect their old appliance.

Are you ok to plug in the new appliance yourself & move it into position?

Are you ok to plug in the new appliance yourself & move it into position?

It clearly states on their website that if you choose their professional installation package that it will cost €65, to include installation, removal of packaging and removal of old fridge. You see this when you proceed to checkout area.

It seems to me, that the fridge will be delivered to your doorstep only or does it include delivery to your kitchen area?

The purchaser has to remove the packaging themselves? Was it not always the case that this would be removed for you? I certainly would like to know if the correct item was delivered. No dents. Correct colour......before the delivery man had left. Now it seems that unless I pay a fee this will not be done for me.

In my case, as it is not an integrated fridge, but a free standing fridge.....I just plug it in to the wall.

The €60 delivery fee is already expensive in my opinion.

Not all suppliers accepted the return packaging waste, many of them used independent delivery services that never took it back.

You are of course entitled to remove the appliance from it's packaging to inspect for damage prior to accepting delivery.

Note, most if not all fridges & freezers will advise that they should be left standing in place for a time prior to being plugged in after moving them, from an hour or two to 24 hours. This is to ensure any oil disturbed during transport settles back in the compressor, and failing to do so may damage or shorten the life of the appliance.

Back