Key Post Cheapest solicitor for switching mortgages

Brendan Burgess

Founder
This has come up a few times.

If you are buying a house or selling a house, choosing the cheapest solicitor might not be a good idea. It's a stressful process and you want to make sure your solicitor is competent.

But if you have already bought a house and just want to switch mortgage, I think that price should be your main concern.

Get a quote from the solicitor you used to buy the house.

Also get a quote for multiple switches if you intend to do multiple switches.

Red Onion posted in another thread:

Here's a breakdown of the estimated outlays for a switch (land registry) where mortgage is registered:
  1. Fee for taking up title deeds from existing lender and discharge of existing mortgage 60.00
  2. Land Registry fee payable on Mortgage Deed 175.00
  3. Land Registry fee payable for copy folio and map after registration 40.00
  4. Search fees (approx.) 100.00
  5. Commissioners fees, for swearing documents 20.00
Total outlays 395.00

If it has cost you €1,000 or less in total, please post the solicitor's name and contact details here.

Brendan

Dauhee paid €950 all in

Alexandra123 paid €988 to Lasey & Associates Dublin 15 (These guys maybe?
Lacy & Associates Address: Main st Blanchardstown 15 (01)8213540 )

professional fee : 500
vat : 115
outlays :
fee for taking up documents : 35
land reg : 175
search fees :123
folio / file map : 5
vacant fee to lender : 35

total : 988

Redy 38 paid €950

Thanks for setting this up Brendan. Interested to hear views on the location question. For a mortgage switch, is it necessary to physically meet the solicitor at any point??

Great idea. Maybe Solicitors can post their details and fees also Brendan? or is advertising against the rules?

Does the location of the solicitor matter?

If you are living in Donegal and there is a cheap solicitor in Kerry, is there any reason not to use her?

Brendan
The solicitor is supposed to witness the execution of various documents by the borrower.

A poster here kindly told me the name of the solicitor he used for a mortgage switch:

Eugene Smartt Solicitor in Clondalkin

They currently do a mortgage switch for €999 including VAT (that's an all-in figure).

I have not dealt with them yet but I may well do.

We paid €1,350 all in recently and thought that was decent so will certainly be shopping around more in future.

I had a quick look at that "Eugene Smartt Solicitor" site, and I think that figure probably won't include fees by the bank/Land Registry/etc. - those would add on a few hundred more. I think "all-in" refers to all the solicitor's charges and expenses, incl. VAT. Maybe I'm wrong though, in which case €999 would be really good value.

I had a quick look at that "Eugene Smartt Solicitor" site, and I think that figure probably won't include fees by the bank/Land Registry/etc. - those would add on a few hundred more. I think "all-in" refers to all the solicitor's charges and expenses, incl. VAT. Maybe I'm wrong though, in which case €999 would be really good value.
it does say outlays included? Does that not cover what you reference? Otherwise you are right!

it does say outlays included? Does that not cover what you reference? Otherwise you are right!
It just seems too cheap to include everything. I thought maybe outlays referred to the €100 or so solicitor's expenses that they all add on for phone calls/photocopying/something (do all solicitors have the worst phone plans in the world that their phone calls cost so much?!)
Do you feel like giving them a shout and letting us know? :)

It just seems too cheap to include everything. I thought maybe outlays referred to the €100 or so solicitor's expenses that they all add on for phone calls/photocopying/something (do all solicitors have the worst phone plans in the world that their phone calls cost so much?!)
Do you feel like giving them a shout and letting us know? :)
Try dealing with commercial lawyers. I've seen bills that break phone calls (professional time) down into 2.5 minute segments. It makes you rush through the pleasantries.

OK, so the borrower should live near enough to the solicitor's office.

Brendan
I asked a solicitor that I am thinking of getting to act for me for a mortgage switch if I would need to meet her in person and she said no, everything can be done by email and Zoom, etc.

So it doesn't matter that she lives far from me. It may or may not be the same with other solicitors.

I'm keen to recommend our clients the best deal on solicitors/conveyancing. What costs are people being quoted recently for a switch, all in including outlays and VAT?

I'm keen to recommend our clients the best deal on solicitors/conveyancing. What costs are people being quoted recently for a switch, all in including outlays and VAT?

@Mark Coan Have a look at these other threads as well:

It seems to be easy to achieve €1,300 all in (including VAT and outlays). And some people have done it for €1,200 or even less.

Back