Low cost solicitors for re mortgage?

TheManWho

Would anyone have recommendations for solicitors who have low fixed fee to re mortgage a property? Located in Dublin or surrounding counties?

Last year I used a firm who had fixed cost of 575e for professional fee (ex vat)

This year they are 1000e for professional fee (ex vat). Bit of a jump, so I'm shopping around!

Following a recommendation from someone on here I used Direct Law solicitors in Skerris last year for a mortgage switch and found the fees low and the service excellent. We had a few issues with the paperwork from our original purchase and I thought I’d see extra fees but was all done for a fixed price and about 3 months after we’d been all sorted I got some money back because one of the land registry fees (or something) was lower than expected. I’ve used them for other stuff since.

Following a recommendation from someone on here I used Direct Law solicitors in Skerris last year for a mortgage switch and found the fees low and the service excellent. We had a few issues with the paperwork from our original purchase and I thought I’d see extra fees but was all done for a fixed price and about 3 months after we’d been all sorted I got some money back because one of the land registry fees (or something) was lower than expected. I’ve used them for other stuff since.
We are using them currently for our house purchase and while the process has dragged on longer than I would like I have nothing but positive things to say about Direct Law Solicitors. They have been actively engaging/nudging their counterparts to move the sale along. As far as I can tell they have a lower set price and then don’t hang around getting things sorted ie: lower price and quicker turnaround times. Which works fine by me.

I used Direct Law solicitors in Skerris last year for a mortgage switch and found the fees low and the service excellent.

Could you itemise the fees?
When discussing switching I estimate the legal fees at €1,500. Is that about right?

Brendan

It depends on the property, but non-professional fees will be about 500 (not subject to VAT). These are fees to bank to release deeds, land registry fees, searches etc.

Then you have the professional fee. Taking 575 + VAT for professional fee gives you approx 700. Then add the 500, gives you 1,200.

I've previously used Direct Law too. Their professional fees were 450 +VAT at end of 2017 (and I think 595+VAT a few months ago) but the website now says 995+VAT (so a very big increase), which is 1,224 incl. VAT + another 400 or 500 for bank/land reg. etc. fees giving €1,600 or €1,700 in total, unless someone's got a recommendation for a cheaper but still reliable solicitor.

B972F455-B1FD-48CA-84A4-A4A3C26CFDA9.jpeg

Could you itemise the fees?
When discussing switching I estimate the legal fees at €1,500. Is that about right?

Brendan
All in a bit less, I did a screen grab of the quote I tried to post the text but the format went weird. That was from April 2020

All in a bit less, I did a screen grab of the quote I tried to post the text but the format went weird. That was from April 2020
Wow - so they have increased from 575+VAT in Apr. 2020 to 995+VAT now! (I'm googling "directlaw fees" and it's the first result). So, the total would be about €1,700 now.

Wow - so they have increased from 575+VAT in Apr. 2020 to 995+VAT now! (I'm googling "directlaw fees" and it's the first result). So, the total would be about €1,700 now.
That’s a heck of a bump in 14 months. I did find them great to deal with.

Still coming in ahead of some others. We’re they new at the lower price and now have a book full of clients?

Still coming in ahead of some others. We’re they new at the lower price and now have a book full of clients?
I doubt their "book full of clients" would be buying and selling every week or 2. More than likely they've employed a few extra people who have to get paid.

They may simply have decided that they would prefer to handle X number of transactions at €995 rather than 2X or 3X number of transactions at €575. In any event, whatever the reason, they are a reputable small firm with transparent pricing operating in a competitive market - - and it is fair to assume that they know what they are doing with their price increase..

I doubt their "book full of clients" would be buying and selling every week or 2. More than likely they've employed a few extra people who have to get paid.
They've moved office, certainly. Their old office was tiny. Good to deal with.

Back