catholic and protestant wedding

Two of my best frends have gotten married to partners of the opposite religion. When one of the couples (CoI and Catholic) got married in a Protestant church there were no problems at all. When the other couple got married (Anglican and Catholic) got married in a Catholic church it was very problematic. The groom had to promise that their children would be raised Catholic and would only attend Catholic schools. Also Protestants at the cermony were not allowed to receive communion and instead were told to go up to the alter with their arms crossed and instead they would receive a blessing. Needless to say this caused great offense to many of the guests, of both religious persuasion.
I married my prod wife ( she does not find this offensive! ) last year. I had to get a letter of dispensation which is basically a letter saying that the catholic church gave me permission to marry a prod. My catholic parish priest also demanded to meet my wife to be. We were brought into a room with a massive table, i was told to sit at one end and herself had to sit at the other end while he sat in the middle. he tried to make write a written agreement to bring our kids up as catholics, which i refused. he then said that i had promised him i would previously ( i said i would think about it ). you could hear a pin drop in that room that day and the atmosphere was terrible. The only thing i regret is that i should have stood up, grabbed my wifes hand and walked out there and then. He made my wife to be at the time feel like a lower class form of life.
I was going to have a prod/ catholic wedding but decided to go full prod after this experience.I also must say i could not have been made more welcome by the coi and the protestant community, they could not have been nicer to me. genuinely good people, and the reverend that married us is now a good friend of mine.

I married my prod wife ( she does not find this offensive! ) last year. I had to get a letter of dispensation which is basically a letter saying that the catholic church gave me permission to marry a prod.

Just because she doesn't find it offensive it doesn't mean others will not. The use of the word "prod" is ill judged at best.

if you want to take offence then fair enough. there was nothing meant by it, i hold protestant people in the highest regard. most coi people i know call each other prods

was at a Taig/Prod ( very un pc :) ) wedding few years ago. Priest did the usual prayers and then had everyone in tears (of laughter) when he decided to pray for princess Diana. :D

Two of my best frends have gotten married to partners of the opposite religion. When one of the couples (CoI and Catholic) got married in a Protestant church there were no problems at all. When the other couple got married (Anglican and Catholic) got married in a Catholic church it was very problematic. The groom had to promise that their children would be raised Catholic and would only attend Catholic schools. Also Protestants at the cermony were not allowed to receive communion and instead were told to go up to the alter with their arms crossed and instead they would receive a blessing. Needless to say this caused great offense to many of the guests, of both religious persuasion.
Thankfully the Roman Catholic church does not have the same power or influence it once had. It caused a lot of problems and offence a generation or two ago but most catholics now will not allow priests to tell them how to behave in the bedromm ( contraception ), how to treat their partner and kids etc. Forcing people to convert or to bring their children up as Catholics was emotional blackmail.

if you want to take offence then fair enough. there was nothing meant by it, i hold protestant people in the highest regard. most coi people i know call each other prods

It didn't offend me in the slightest...I'm actually a Catholic. But I could see how others might be offended. American rappers call each other a certain word but it doesn't mean we can. The brochures the priest gives you when you book your church have some useful information about inter-denominational weddings. In fact, it's quite a worthwhile publication which I'm a little surprised at if the truth be told.

Two of my best frends have gotten married to partners of the opposite religion.

What was the Satanist ceremony like then?

Are you planning on marrying in a Catholic ceremony?
Do you mean Roman Catholic? I know a number of Anglicans who consider themselves Catholic, and are offended by the term Protestant!

The CofI parish priest is called a rector not a vicar.

Typically rural CoI parishes have rectors and urban parishes have vicars, just as in the CoE. Being even more pedantic, they are all priests, so ClubMan's distinction wasn't necessary.

Typically rural CoI parishes have rectors and urban parishes have vicars

Are you sure about this MugsGame? Brought up COI in rural towns and it's always been rector - in fact I've never heard vicar used except in the COE. When you say rural are you talking about very rural as in country townlands or something?

Are you sure about this MugsGame? Brought up COI in rural towns and it's always been rector - in fact I've never heard vicar used except in the COE. When you say rural are you talking about very rural as in country townlands or something?

For urban read city. I may have overstated the case, but there are many Dublin city Vicars in the CoI. St. Bart's Clyde Rd have a [broken link removed], the Dublin CoI Cathedral's each have a Parish Vicar and a Dean's Vicar, and can't seem to decide whether they have a Vicar or a Rector :)

Typically rural CoI parishes have rectors and urban parishes have vicars .

In urban parishes as well as rural parishes they are referred to as rectors....and also often as "the Dean" or "clergyman" or whatever....but never "vicar"

Back