catholic and protestant wedding

Pablo74

Hello,
I am looking for infomation on a catholic and protestant wedding . We are due to get married in 18 months so i need to get the paperwork done now so they are no hiccups.
Any info or websites would be great.
Thanks
Pablo

can't remember there being any papers/issues when we got married 13 years ago. we got married in my local Prod church and we had a mixed up ceremony to include prod and cath bits (really just to keep parents happy) and we were married by a priest and a vicar who both attended, oh and i think we had some kind of lay preacher too ! i didn't change over to catholic and we have brought our children up as Catholics but that was purely a decision to enable our kids to get into the local church school ! bad I know but that's what we have to do in the UK.

The following link should give you all of the legal information you require
http://www.groireland.ie/getting_married.htm

If you are looking to have a mixed wedding eg part Catholic/part Protestant, to the best of my knowledge this is not possilbe - it has to be one or the other.

I have attended a Church of Ireland wedding where a Catholic priest was also on the altar during the ceremony (I'm not sure what he's exact role was), when I asked the bride on behalf of another friend, if this meant that it was a mixed ceremony - she told me that it's not possible.

its the civil ceremony that is the legally binding part of it. at the moment in Ireland the civil ceremony is performed at the same time as the religious ceremony if you get married in a Catholic Church.

You could have a wedding ceremony with a priest, a vicar, a rabbi, a tibetan monk and any other religious practioners that you like present but if the civil ceremony isnt performed then you have no legal marraige.

Clubman, I was just too lazy to type the full word. I am a Protestant, and Prod doesn't offend me one bit and it is certainly not meant to offend anyone. I do not attend church at all now and never did before i got married either. it was all just a formality for us and kept our parents happy (duty and all that). otherwise, we probably wouldnt have bothered getting married really.
Should maybe point out that the C of I vicar performed the leading role I suppose and the priest was there in a supporting role but again this was just to keep my husband's parents happy.

Clubman, I was just too lazy to type the full word. I am a Protestant, and Prod doesn't offend me one bit and it is certainly not meant to offend anyone. I do not attend church at all now and never did before i got married either. it was all just a formality for us and kept our parents happy (duty and all that). otherwise, we probably wouldnt have bothered getting married really.
Should maybe point out that the C of I vicar performed the leading role I suppose and the priest was there in a supporting role but again this was just to keep my husband's parents happy.
"CoI" is even shorter than "Prod" if you were in a rush.

yes that's why I used C of I in my last posting so I dont offend anyone.

Thankl you Dicette for the website, thank you truthseeker and iorna for your replys.
Pablo

"CoI" is even shorter than "Prod" if you were in a rush.

Might be shorter word on paper but both words involve 4 finger movements on keyboard so same effort is required to type both that is of course provided you don't decide to type a small i for Ireland (which could be offensive to some Irish people). ;)

Is'nt it true Catholics are supposed under church rules to raise their kids as Catholics but protestant churches dont have the same rule ? Hence a union between a catholic and a protestant should in theory produce a Catholic lineage ?

Is'nt it true Catholics are supposed under church rules to raise their kids as Catholics but protestant churches dont have the same rule ? Hence a union between a catholic and a protestant should in theory produce a Catholic lineage ?

yes - but it is also true that a hell of a lot of weddings in Catholic Churches are not done for religious reasons at all but because the bride wants to wear a fancy white dress, walk down an aisle and have a nice setting for photographs.

I was at a wedding very recently where the bride is Catholic, groom Anglican - both are religious, so wanted a church ceremony. However I knew that groom had an issue with promising to raise children as Catholics (hence his wife-to-be had asked me to sus out if mixed ceremony was possible from my C of I friend).

I noted that during the ceremony they promised to raise their children in the "Church" as opposed to "Catholic Church" - maybe it was down to the discretion of the priest.

Incidentally at both weddings they didn't have a full mass - ie they didn't have communion.

Two of my best frends have gotten married to partners of the opposite religion. When one of the couples (CoI and Catholic) got married in a Protestant church there were no problems at all. When the other couple got married (Anglican and Catholic) got married in a Catholic church it was very problematic. The groom had to promise that their children would be raised Catholic and would only attend Catholic schools. Also Protestants at the cermony were not allowed to receive communion and instead were told to go up to the alter with their arms crossed and instead they would receive a blessing. Needless to say this caused great offense to many of the guests, of both religious persuasion.

Back