cash present for a wedding

I'd agree with Paddi and also add that if your budget only allowed for a trip to supermacs, I'd hope that the day would still be special.

Paddi22, you should suggest to the parents that they have to pay for the people they want to invite to YOUR wedding as your budget only stretches to the original number of wedding guests - that might reduce the list a bit Good luck :)

no decembersal - the foot went down!!

I only want people who would recognise me in a line up there on the day!

It was a really hard decision to make as it's my parents only chance at a big white wedding to invite their freinds to and i know they would love it and i did feel a huge obligation to please them - but at the end of the day we would have to go with what we wanted ourselves. My parents will have a great day anyway regardless, and it would mean a lot more to us to just have people we really care about there, instead of a load of strangers who are only coming cause they feel obliged to.

Paddi22....well said!! We believed that our wedding was a celebration and just delighted to have our family and friends there with us. We also suggested that people donate to charity if they would like to, which a number of people did. I'd hate to think of my elder relatives having to fork out €300 on a present they can ill afford. And as many people pointed out, wedding already put financial strain on the guests (time off, travel, accomodation, outfits etc).
We're not rich, but we made sure we budgeted our wedding to a level we could afford without having to depend on "cash presents". It's not necessary to spend €15k to €20k....ours cost a fraction of that with 80 guests in a top Dublin hotel.

I'm getting married next year and I'm getting married not expecting a penny from any of the guests. We will not be getting a penny from family and wouldn't take it if offered .If I do get presents of then great. I'm inviting people that I want to be there. Not because I want a subsidised wedding.
I'm on average wages and so is my wife to be.

Back