cash present for a wedding

djkat

Hi Everyone

How much would you give in cash to a good friend for his wedding present

thanks

yes 150 euro per couple is grand . at least you pay for meal and leave a bit over for the couple.

€ 150 per couple and a bit over for the couple, are they getting married in mickey d's?

what do you mean ? .....well it will cost the couple getting married about 100 euro to pay for you and your partners meal (maybe im out of touch on the cost per head for an average wedding meal in Ireland)that would leave 50 euro over for the couple (a bit)

€500!!? Remind me to invite you to my wedding!! :D

I think the best rule is firstly give what you are comfortable with and give about what you would spend on a present for them. If they have a wedding list the cost of gifts might give you an idea of their expectations but personally giving as a singleton I would agree €150 - €200 would be my maximum and in fact the last wedding I went to on my own a couple of months ago I gave AUS$300 as it was a round number in a currency useful to them and she is a good friend.

i would think at least 500 euro - unless you're absolutely skint.
you are bonkers mate (in the nicest most generous way though:D )
Also can i just state that whether the dinner is 10 courses in 5 star hotel or buffet in the golf club the present should not be any different. this "covering yourself/meal" is thought up by Eddie Hobbs and other pennypinchers. If the couple throw a party it should not be to get the meals covered. Guest give gifts for the couple not to pay the hotel bill.
The average we got per couple was €150. people who could least afford it (from outside lookin in of course) gave us more than that and some designer guests (one who wore a scarf with the tag on as she was returning it the next day:eek: ) gave us €50 a couple and got into the Merc off home! 'one cheap night out there Fintan'. It was an eyeopener alright.
I would give the gift that i could afford and what i thought appropriate for how i feel towards the couple in question.

€150 to €200 for good friends is pretty standard. I got married last year and was shocked at the amounts of money recieved. We got €50 from a girl who was only just working and was on her own and we were thrilled as we would not have expected anything from her only her company at the wedding

this whole money as a gift thing for weddings really angers me. if someone has a wedding and they want you there - they shouldn't be looking at you with a money symbol over your head. if they do ask for money, i would give 100e max (between us), but if it was a gift i would spend more i'm sure.

I'm going to a cousin's wedding in a few months not very close and its just me going on my own....I didn't get a plus one how much do you think I should give??

hi,
i think it should be around 100 per person, for a couple it should be around 200. but in fairness it all depends on your finances, if ur minted or if its a high class wedding you may be expected to pay more.

what about if you are invited to a wedding and you didn't go to it?

Unless it was a close friend I wouldnt give a present if I wasnt going to the wedding.

I also don't think its as serious as some people might think. I just got married and we didn't get presents from a few people and I couldnt care less. Maybe they hadnt got the money, maybe they didnt bother. Either way we wanted them there to help celebrate our day.

I would think you should give how much you can afford, and want to give.

what about if you are invited to a wedding and you didn't go to it?

A number of people who were invited to our wedding in 2002, and who were unable to attend gave us gifts, and cash. I think the average was about 50 60 euro.

IMHO I believe whether you go or not the pressie should be the same.Just give what you are comfortable with. As a rule I give about 150 to relations and about 100 to friends,but it all depends on how close I am to them.

I hate the idea of giving a cash present. I feel the day has come when wedding lists should be the norm. I appreciate that alot of couples these days have set up home and have a lot of things but I also think you should get them luxury items. Things couples would not ordinarily go out and buy (as they don't feel justified spending on the more lavish items) or they cannot afford them.
I was at a wedding recently that was a hassle for me to go to - I had to take a day off work had to travel from Belfast to south Kerry and back ( as I was on a short contract in Belfast). Two nights in the hotel with single supplement (ok I hear you say B+B cheaper but as I was on my own I liked the idea of being able to escape to the room if need be). I was fortunate to have an outfit but dread to think if I had to splash out. I was not going to be handing over €200 or near it as I felt I had made enough sacrifice to be there and knew the couple would appreciate that more.
Give what you can afford. being there should be the important thing.

Back