Car-parking issue with neighbours

It might be because they trapped in their driveways for a few hours when there is a match on. Because people park so badly. Maybe...

I don't think so. If somebody's driveway is blocked there is a tow away service available through the Gardaí and generally the amount of parking is nothing like Croke Park, Aviva etc.

I reckon it is just a case of "Why should I make life easier for somebody going to the match . . ." Coincidentally, that's the way we drive too, bursting red lights, occupying yellow boxes etc.

It's just the way the Irish Nation has become. Ireland of the 100,000 welcomes my rear-end.

I don't think so. If somebody's driveway is blocked there is a tow away service available through the Gardaí and generally the amount of parking is nothing like Croke Park, Aviva etc.

I reckon it is just a case of "Why should I make life easier for somebody going to the match . . ." Coincidentally, that's the way we drive too, bursting red lights, occupying yellow boxes etc.

I like the way you escalated parking on the road which is not against any rules. To actual traffic offenses.

You can make things awkward without actual blocking a drive completely. Getting the Gardai to turn up to anything isn't that easy.

Are there not better ways to deal with the problems you may incur, than by creating further problems ?

If there's an issue with speeding cars, surely getting a few speed ramps installed is the solution, or maybe asking the Gardai to set up occasional speed traps there to catch and penalise the offenders ?

Yes certainly. We've already got ramps, narrowing and Speed Measuring Signs on the main distributor road. But perhaps we need to increase the density of the Ramps at the entrance to smaller roads and perhaps on the smaller roads themselves. The place is ruined with ramps. But as there is no enforcement. Seems people will continue not to slow down where appropriate. Gardai response to issues is poor. There is an ongoing contact with Gardai about local issues though various committees.

People parking commercial vehicles, or cars "for weeks" is something you need to deal with, just like I've got to find a way to solve my issue with houses that are rented out having multiple cars parked on the road and creating problems....

There is no way of dealing with this, with cars anyway. Other than have a resident parking only scheme. Since its public road and parking is allowed.

but you blocking the road with your car only causes problems for others (not to mention increases the risk of your car being damaged (by kids or other road users) or worse still.. stolen).

As for visitors, surely they can park on the road if your not parked there already and as they are only occasional, rather than permanent residents like yourself, they are causing a lesser obstruction to others who have to
use the same road ?

It doesn't cause an obstruction or block anything. Otherwise it would be illegally parked. As would anyone else parking there. But the perception of a narrower road, slows people down.

The risk is negligible and acceptable to me.

Yes certainly. We've already got ramps, narrowing and Speed Measuring Signs on the main distributor road. But perhaps we need to increase the density of the Ramps at the entrance to smaller roads and perhaps on the smaller roads themselves. The place is ruined with ramps. But as there is no enforcement. Seems people will continue not to slow down where appropriate. Gardai response to issues is poor. There is an ongoing contact with Gardai about local issues though various committees....

Sorry to hear about this trouble, I'm sure it's very frustrating and needless to say dangerous.

That said, I'm sure there are other solutions to dealing with people speeding, particularly if they are regular offenders and you know who they are :)

While it is not illegal to park outside someone else's house it is bad manners to do so on an ongoing basis.
Irish people are not what they used to be; they are better in most respects, but in some they are worse.

In some cities you are not allowed to own a car until you can prove you have an off-street parking space for it. Should we have a similar law? After all none of us have an automatic right to park on any road. What we do have is the right to enter, pass along and exit a public road.

Purple, you're losing it again . . . . we pay road tax and we are entitled to park your car park in public places where parking is allowed. And then you want us not buying a car until we can prove we have some place to park it.

You're right on one matter though "Irish people are not what they used to be." Some of us have descended into a nation of whingers just for whinging sake.

. . . . we pay road tax and we are entitled to park your car park in public places.....

Can we apply the same reasoning to insist that cyclists have to pay an annual road tax ? :)

... obviously there's also plenty of other logical supports, such as their use of the road (getting customised cycle lanes painted or constructed), use of road signals etc.

Can we apply the same reasoning to insist that cyclists have to pay an annual road tax ? :)

... obviously there's also plenty of other logical supports, such as their use of the road (getting customised cycle lanes painted or constructed), use of road signals etc.

Thanks Mr Earl, I'm not getting involved in cycling issues . . . .(Insert winking smilie here).

There's no such thing as road tax. There is of course an emissions based motor tax, and revenue from this goes directly to the local government fund where it is directed to local authorities to fund their day to day costs. Only a fraction of that revenue ends up being spent on road infrastructure.

Purple, you're losing it again . . . . we pay road tax and we are entitled to park your car park in public places where parking is allowed. And then you want us not buying a car until we can prove we have some place to park it.

You're right on one matter though "Irish people are not what they used to be." Some of us have descended into a nation of whingers just for whinging sake.
Lots of things that are legal are also unmannerly.
I do agree that parking outside your neighbours house is entirely legal. I am of the opinion that doing so on an ongoing basis, especially if they would like to park a car there themselves, is bad manners.

Purple, you're softening . . . how can doing something within our laws be bad manners?

If the local council doesn't/won't accept responsibility for a road in an estate can it be deemed "public"?

Marion

Did this ever get resolved. I have a similar issue. My neighbour has his friend from God knows where park his car outside in my spot. It has not moved and it's tax is expired since Dec 2018. Any help appreciated.

Did this ever get resolved. I have a similar issue. My neighbour has his friend from God knows where park his car outside in my spot. It has not moved and it's tax is expired since Dec 2018. Any help appreciated.

When you say 'your spot', do you mean a marked parking space that you own in a managed development? Is there a agent or company who manage common areas and parking enforcement?

Given the speed of the response I would rule out council and motor tax office so it was the Garda that done it. They probably checked the reg and rang the owner to state that they cannot park a car on the public road without tax ans they will get a ticket if they do.

Back