Car-parking issue with neighbours

Have to admit I park on the road a lot even though I have space in the drive for a number of reason.

Its slows cars down on the road. Big problem. Our road is a small road, lots of kids out. Many people speed down it.
Often if as I'm reversing into my drive people have had to mount the kerb to get around me as they are going too fast.
My house is a few house down from the start of the road. So people turn off the main road into ours without slowing down.

If you are near public transport, people will leave their cars there for weeks, often badly parked, making it very difficult to get in and out of your own drive way with another car.
It leaves space for visitors cars in your driveway.
People will park commercial vehicles and trailers outside someone else house away from their own. So as not inconvenience themselves.

That said most of our neighbours will move their cars if someone else needs the space. Indeed will offer their own drives ways if someone has a lot of visitors for a reason.

I hear people having parking issues all over. So its not a case of some people being awkward, or its only old roads or new roads. Or just new cars. Its a lack of planning over many years.

Has there been a massive increase in the width of cars? I'm dubious, if they have got wider than a few CMs I'd say that's about it, certainly not by anything like what would be needed to make the roads seem so much narrower than before.

In fairness there's a lot of SUV and large cars which are a lot wider then they used to be.

I meant that. perhaps I should have said....Its a lack of common sense planning over many years.

You can't use public transport if it doesn't exist.

Has there been a massive increase in the width of cars? I'm dubious, if they have got wider than a few CMs I'd say that's about it

Morris Minor from 1960s (typical family car for the time) was 1550mm wide; current Ford Focus (hardly a large car by current standards) is 1886mm wide, an increase of about 18%. Have the roads grown by that amount in that time?

Three cars is excessive for one household.

I appreciate that in many cases it's because they have adult children living with parents, but it is still excessive imho. Ultimately, if a household wants to have three cars, I think the obligation is on them to figure out how to store the cars off the road (let them turn their entire front garden into car parking, or do a deal with one of the neighbours who may not be using their front of house car parking etc.)

Is it excessive in your humble opinion, really ?.. What a post, there are five cars in my house including a vintage and yes cars have got wider and longer over the years, I widened the driveway to accomodate extra parking, we park off road almost always as I also extended the drive up along the side of my house, I'm glad we don't have a big family but they are growing, eldest just finished college, youngest just started, they have to drive to college so Bank Of Dad ensured the cars are road legal and properly insured, I still do not park outside my neighbours house or my own really and resent yes resent those that park outside my gaff whilst they go off to do whatever, bear in mind in my case there is cheap on street pay parking and a pay car park within sight of my gaff, these are generally miserable penny pinching people, park in designated places not in front of peoples houses.

and resent yes resent those that park outside my gaff whilst they go off to do whatever,

park in designated places not in front of peoples houses.

Gobsmacked is all I can say to that, it’s a public road, end of.

Outside your house is a designated parking place as long as it is a public road with no parking restrictions.

To each their own, I will not argue the legality of those who park up, I accept that. Parking where I speak of is within sight of cheap meter road parking and a car park, I will say they are misers who choose to avoid paying a nominal fee to park in a designated parking area, I choose like my neighbours not to pay a mortgage to live in a car park, leafy burbs here folks, not a urban City dweller.

If theres a problem with parking. Then people should get resident parking only zones agreed.

Otherwise it's public parking and whoever gets there first can use it. A stranger or a resident are equally entitled to park there. Hi

To each their own, I will not argue the legality of those who park up, I accept that. .

Strange how can you accept others have a right to legally park there, yet you would be prepared to intimidate those that do and damage their cars.

You have already said you would start with a polite prit sticker, then it would be the sticky really messy goo for number two,

What would you do with an equally adamant person who chose to legally park outside your house repeatedly ?

What punishment could one expect for say a fourth of fifth ‘’offence’’ ?

Just curious at this stage.

Yet you turned your own garden into a car park to avoid those same charges

Ah read my post, I said I widened my driveway to accomodate extra parking, I'll elaborate for you, I got one extra space alongside my existing driveway, I still have maybe 75% of my front garden, I didn't think parking on the road was a clever idea when I could do something about it.

yet you would be prepared to intimidate those that do and damage their cars.

Never said I would damage a car or intimidate anybody, I would not, please do not attribute comments to me that are just plain wrong.

If a polite notice didn't work after the 2nd slightly stickier polite notice I would surrender, people who park in a residential area when there is pay parking and a car park within sight ( as in my area ) do so to save a euro, my polite notice if they choose to ignore it will not change them, I don't get exercised over it, just my point of view, far as I know I can still have one of these.

I have nothing more to add to this thread.

Never said I would damage a car or intimidate anybody, I would not, please do not attribute comments to me that are just plain wrong.

Putting a polite sticker on a car is not intimidation, doing it again as you have suggested is intimidation.

Putting a sticker on a car with sticky really messy goo as you have suggested is damaging.

Last edited:
This is the problem with parking, people make up their own imaginary rules then try to enforce them while not staying within the actual law themselves.

Calling people misers because they won't pay for parking, when they avoid paying for parking themselves.

People need to chill out and live and let live.

Just get the area zoned as controlled parking and there will be no need to lose the plot.

HI All, the thread started out with Eddie Peters unable to manoeuvre his car because of untaxed cars and cars devoid of NCT approval being parked on the public road outside is house. Then it plummeted into that's-my-patch-of-public-road-outside-my-house. We have people wanting to place stickers and then more stickier stickers on cars that are legally taxed, NCT'd etc. Have we all gone stark raving mad? The public road is for public use.

And more stark raving mad stuff . . . . . . . there's a match in Páirc Uí Rinn. Many of the residents there park their usually driveway-parked cars out on the public road just to make sure nobody going to the match gets a parking space. Coupled with my first paragraph here and the second one, what kind of whinging mentality do such people have? The public road is the public road, not somebody's private piece of road.

Irish people ain't what they used to be . . . .

...And more stark raving mad stuff . . . . . . . there's a match in Páirc Uí Rinn. Many of the residents there park their usually driveway-parked cars out on the public road just to make sure nobody going to the match gets a parking space. ..

It might be because they trapped in their driveways for a few hours when there is a match on. Because people park so badly. Maybe...

Have to admit I park on the road a lot even though I have space in the drive for a number of reason.

Its slows cars down on the road. Big problem. Our road is a small road, lots of kids out. Many people speed down it.
Often if as I'm reversing into my drive people have had to mount the kerb to get around me as they are going too fast.
My house is a few house down from the start of the road. So people turn off the main road into ours without slowing down.

If you are near public transport, people will leave their cars there for weeks, often badly parked, making it very difficult to get in and out of your own drive way with another car.
It leaves space for visitors cars in your driveway.
People will park commercial vehicles and trailers outside someone else house away from their own. So as not inconvenience themselves.

That said most of our neighbours will move their cars if someone else needs the space. Indeed will offer their own drives ways if someone has a lot of visitors for a reason.

Are there not better ways to deal with the problems you may incur, than by creating further problems ?

If there's an issue with speeding cars, surely getting a few speed ramps installed is the solution, or maybe asking the Gardai to set up occasional speed traps there to catch and penalise the offenders ?

People parking commercial vehicles, or cars "for weeks" is something you need to deal with, just like I've got to find a way to solve my issue with houses that are rented out having multiple cars parked on the road and creating problems.... but you blocking the road with your car only causes problems for others (not to mention increases the risk of your car being damaged (by kids or other road users) or worse still.. stolen).

As for visitors, surely they can park on the road if your not parked there already and as they are only occasional, rather than permanent residents like yourself, they are causing a lesser obstruction to others who have to use the same road ?

Is it excessive in your humble opinion, really ?.. What a post, there are five cars in my house including a vintage and yes cars have got wider and longer over the years, I widened the driveway to accomodate extra parking, we park off road almost always as I also extended the drive up along the side of my house, I'm glad we don't have a big family but they are growing, eldest just finished college, youngest just started, they have to drive to college so Bank Of Dad ensured the cars are road legal and properly insured, I still do not park outside my neighbours house or my own really and resent yes resent those that park outside my gaff whilst they go off to do whatever, bear in mind in my case there is cheap on street pay parking and a pay car park within sight of my gaff, these are generally miserable penny pinching people, park in designated places not in front of peoples houses.

If you have made provision to park your cars off the main road, then I'm absolutely delighted with you as it shows you've not been selfish about blocking the public road. That was the point I was originally making :)

Back