Car-parking issue with neighbours

We don't own the public road outside our homes. We have no entitlement to park there.

I was picking my daughter up from her friends house recently and pulled in outside a neighbouring house in a wide, quite residential road. A man walked briskly out of the house to inform me that that was where his wife parked. I smiled and said that was nice but I was parking there for a few minutes. He said it better only be a few minutes. I told him that it was the public road and neither he or his wife had any more right to park there than me and that if he didn't back off I'd get a taxi home and leave my car there overnight.
There was more than enough room in his driveway for two cars.

We don't own the public road outside our homes. We have no entitlement to park there.

I was picking my daughter up from her friends house recently and pulled in outside a neighbouring house in a wide, quite residential road. A man walked briskly out of the house to inform me that that was where his wife parked. I smiled and said that was nice but I was parking there for a few minutes. He said it better only be a few minutes. I told him that it was the public road and neither he or his wife had any more right to park there than me and that if he didn't back off I'd get a taxi home and leave my car there overnight.
There was more than enough room in his driveway for two cars.

This is exactly the attitude I cannot understand. He thinks it's his "right" to effectively reserve/withold for personal use the space. I cannot stand this type of nonsense, reflects very poorly on people who think this way.

This is exactly the attitude I cannot understand. He thinks it's his "right" to effectively reserve/withhold for personal use the space. I cannot stand this type of nonsense, reflects very poorly on people who think this way.
I agree. I suspect they are the same people who queue jump & drive in Bus Lanes.

... park in Disabled parking bays, occupy two regular parking spots, park across others driveways or on footpaths, on double yellow lines, on clearways - unthinking, selfish idiots.

Totally agree regarding the not owning the public road outside our house, but, we live in a cul-de-sac and don't have off-street parking. We're also a 2 minute walk from an Aircoach stop and we have had occasionally people parking their car outside our house and leaving it there for a fortnight, really annoying.
It's got to the stage where we will have to put in car-parking in our front garden (which gets the sun and is nicer to sit in than the back) at significant expense that will reduce the parking available as others won't (hopefully) park in front of our driveway.

Even more annoying are the people that put cones outside there houses...

If it annoys you either build a driveway or if you can't move house to one that has one or to one where you can build one.

The hassel of living near dart / park and ride / city centre location is surely mitigated by having easy access yourself to these services and again if it bugs you, move or build a driveway.

Not directed at anyone in particular here btw!!!

Totally agree regarding the not owning the public road outside our house, but, we live in a cul-de-sac and don't have off-street parking. We're also a 2 minute walk from an Aircoach stop and we have had occasionally people parking their car outside our house and leaving it there for a fortnight, really annoying.
It's got to the stage where we will have to put in car-parking in our front garden (which gets the sun and is nicer to sit in than the back) at significant expense that will reduce the parking available as others won't (hopefully) park in front of our driveway.

The seems like a very good circumstance to look for pay & display.

... park in Disabled parking bays, occupy two regular parking spots, park across others driveways or on footpaths, on double yellow lines, on clearways - unthinking, selfish idiots.

.....pull up into yellow boxes; drive up behind the car in front in heavy traffic rather than let someone in from a side road; keep in the "fast lane" and hold up lots of people because they are doing the speed limit.

.....pull up into yellow boxes; drive up behind the car in front in heavy traffic rather than let someone in from a side road; keep in the "fast lane" and hold up lots of people because they are doing the speed limit.

Ever notice if you are in the normal lane and approaching a slower car ahead, the driver coming up in the over-taking lane (who could be well back) speeds up "boxing" you in, rather than letting you out? Really annoys me!

Gosh, i'd be terrified to leave my car somewhere open like that even for a day, never mind a fortnight. Never know what you might come back to/or not.

The seems like a very good circumstance to look for pay & display.
Looked into it, Council more or less said we'd have to have a referendum on it! We have one car, a good few of our neighbours have 2 or 3 so unlikely to vote for it.
The rest of the village is pay parking so we have that pressure too and the GAA club next door, it's usually not too bad but it's the Aircoach customers that really wreck my head.

Looked into it, Council more or less said we'd have to have a referendum on it! We have one car, a good few of our neighbours have 2 or 3 so unlikely to vote for it.

Why? They'd be no worse off than they currently are; in fact almost certainly better as non-residents would be less willing to park, and couldn't for days at a time without the risk of being clamped. We have residents/pay and display parking where we are and have almost no problem along the lines you're talking about.

Well done the planners for making roads so narrow everywhere that its a nightmare to park. Same all over.

Well done the planners for making roads so narrow everywhere that its a nightmare to park. Same all over.
That was because we were all going to be using public transport by now... when they weren't on strike.

Wait till they privatise it then you'll probably have no bus service at all, as half the routes will disappear.

Any way it's more about maximising profit and density. I reckon squeezing more housing into the same space. Parking is bad in almost every estate I see.

Why? They'd be no worse off than they currently are; in fact almost certainly better as non-residents would be less willing to park, and couldn't for days at a time without the risk of being clamped. We have residents/pay and display parking where we are and have almost no problem along the lines you're talking about.

Well my understanding is that Council will only provide residence parking permits for 2 cars per house. A decent proportion of houses here have 3.

The massive increase in width of cars is probably more to blame. In fairness our estate was built in the 1940's, not many would have had cars then at all, let alone 3 SUVs.

Well my understanding is that Council will only provide residence parking permits for 2 cars per house. A decent proportion of houses here have 3......

Three cars is excessive for one household.

I appreciate that in many cases it's because they have adult children living with parents, but it is still excessive imho. Ultimately, if a household wants to have three cars, I think the obligation is on them to figure out how to store the cars off the road (let them turn their entire front garden into car parking, or do a deal with one of the neighbours who may not be using their front of house car parking etc.)

Yeah, I'd agree that 3 is excessive and it is due to adult/ish children living at home.
I'd rather they also parked across their own driveway with the third car rather than taking a spare space, that's what i'd do myself, but then I'm wonderful.

...The massive increase in width of cars is probably more to blame. In fairness our estate was built in the 1940's, not many would have had cars then at all, let alone 3 SUVs.

That would make roads narrower. I mean they plan with very few car spaces and non for visitors.

A rented house can often have more then 2 cars also.

The massive increase in width of cars is probably more to blame. In fairness our estate was built in the 1940's, not many would have had cars then at all, let alone 3 SUVs.

Has there been a massive increase in the width of cars? I'm dubious, if they have got wider than a few CMs I'd say that's about it, certainly not by anything like what would be needed to make the roads seem so much narrower than before.

Back