Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving right along from the future for the Chinese language, Mandarin or Cantonese, fascinating though it undoubtedly is.

Up to this point one of the many odd things about Brexit has been that one could produce a coherent outline of what might happen next. Not just whether there would be a hard or soft Brexit, but what either of these things might mean.

A clean break can at least be understood. Britain leaves the EU and all associated bodies with no agreement as to the future relationship. This could easily come about, but no one or very few want that. The Brexiteers having their cake but with nothing for the rest of Britain to eat afterwards.

The other alternative was continuing in the Single Market and or the Customs Union with the involvement of the ECJ, or some watered down version of this. This seemed to be desired by all, depending on the exact version, but impossible to achieve. Little or no cake for the Brexiteers but something left to eat afterwards.

Now there seems to be another possibility emerging. A deal on the divorce terms and a transitional period, membership in fact, without representation but not in name.

David Davis says this will be for a maximum of three years. Phil Hammond thinks it will be for four years.

My forecast is that Britain will not exit the transition for many years. Could work well to Irelands advantage.

My forecast is that Britain will not exit the transition for many years. Could work well to Irelands advantage.

If a hard Brexit is undesirable to most, then my forecast is that Brexit won't occur at all. I cannot see anything but a hard Brexit as being the only logical outcome if the UK is to leave the EU. A soft Brexit, a Norwegian or Swiss type arrangement could not, by any stretch of imagination, be considered a Brexit if the purpose of Brexit is take control of borders, courts, trade etc...etc...

i think brexit might be the brits version of our water charges

the focus of a building frustration over many years and which certain politicians fed off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back