BOI app down ?

I actually wonder how BOI would treat a loan application from you going forward.

I would hope that Revolut would rescind EChicks card and the cards of any other customers who withdrew such large amounts on 15th August.

I wouldn't want them as customers.

Brendan

It is wrong. But do you have the same opinion on teacher's etc who do grinds for cash.
A employee knowingly taking extra breaks is that not stealing time from their employer.
Or are these seen as acceptable and justifiable to society.
Whataboutery and strawman arguments…utter nonsense. Tax evasion is also a crime. An employee taking extra long breaks? Off with his head!

I made a fairly hefty purchase yesterday afternoon. Paid for with BOI debit card. The debit card transaction worked there and then. I only found out after about the BOI issue. This transaction hasn't shown up yet on my Internet banking.
I contacted the shop and gave them my phone number just in case it doesn't go through.

Payment has gone through completely this morning.

I would hope that Revolut would rescind EChicks card and the cards of any other customers who withdrew such large amounts on 15th August.

Brendan
That's not really a runner though, Revolut have no way to know which transactions were legit and which were part of the "scheme".

The Irish Council for Civil Liberties were on Morning Ireland criticising the Gardai for interfering with the public's right to access cash machines.

Do these organisations not realise the damage they are doing to their reputation with such nonsense?

If there is a genuine civil liberties issues, I would pay no attention to what the ICCL says on the issue.

Brendan

I actually wonder how BOI would treat a loan application from you going forward. I'd imagine the people that don't repay the funds like you immediately can forget about ever borrowing from them again.
Hard to know really.

If they are not going to take action against people on this and they enter into an agreement plan with them, and they stick to said agreement plan and they satisfy the criteria for all other means at loan application can they really say no?

I personally don't do loans with banks other than my mortgage.

Last edited:

Brendan
Well for starters my name is E30chick.

And secondly, I didn't physically withdraw any cash I moved money from one account into another and then moved it back again straight away.

I can provide documentation to prove all of the money movements if you don't believe me.

Hard to know really.

If they are not going to take action against people on this and they enter into an agreement plan with them, and they stick to said agreement plan and they satisfy the criteria for all other means can they really say no?
Yes, of course they can say no. Character is a very hard-to-measure, but very important element of loan underwriting. If someone has demonstrated a proclivity to steal from you why would you take a chance on lending them more money? I can't really see a loan officer attaching too much weight to the performance of a loan that was obtained by false pretenses tbh.

The Irish Council for Civil Liberties were on Morning Ireland criticising the Gardai for interfering with the public's right to access cash machines.

Do these organisations not realise the damage they are doing to their reputation with such nonsense?

If there is a genuine civil liberties issues, I would pay no attention to what the ICCL says on the issue.

Brendan
I thought there was a punchline coming. There wasn’t. This actually happened. Incredible.

Yes, of course they can say no. Character is a very hard-to-measure, but very important element of loan underwriting. If someone has demonstrated a proclivity to steal from you why would you take a chance on lending them more money? I can't really see a loan officer attaching too much weight to the performance of a loan that was obtained by false pretenses tbh.
I don't work in loan underwriting so I can't really comment, it's not something I've ever had exposure too. I work more on the Trading side of things.

Last edited:
Rumours going around and I stress rumours that BOI brought down their online banking as soon as they became aware of the issue. They were exposed on all fronts. Online transactions, ATM withdrawals, online transfers and POS Transactions. Only one they could actually control and the biggest risk was the online banking so they brought it down. They were praying that it didn't get out what was going on. Hence the technical issue with online banking story which by all accounts was not the issue.

Another interesting rumour doing the rounds in the banks is that BOI and the central bank are interested in looking at how this spread on social media and if they can track an original source. Impossible I am sure but guessing they fear that it might have started from people within the bank itself.

Another interesting rumour doing the rounds in the banks is that BOI and the central bank are interested in looking at how this spread on social media and if they can track an original source. Impossible I am sure but guessing they fear that it might have started from people within the bank itself.
I'd bet my next month's salary it came from within the bank.

Rumours going around and I stress rumours that BOI brought down their online banking as soon as they became aware of the issue.

This makes no sense.

What "issue" did they become aware of?

The issue was that the online system was down!

The suggestion here is much more credible.

1) The online system went down which prevented people accessing ATMs.
2) BoI overrode the system to allow people access ATMs

After editing their report yesterday, the Irish Times repeats this claim again.

What happened with Bank of Ireland this week?

On Tuesday, the bank’s online services were not functioning as normal, with many cut off from its app and website. Tasks such as transferring money and checking balances were impossible for some customers. As the day progressed, the problem became more serious, with unexplained sums of money appearing in people’s accounts.

Eh? The online system went down so they overrode the system? How does that work?

So you are saying because banking 365 went offline, it brought down the ATMS (odd in itself) but BOI somehow overrode the system failure to allow access to ATMs???

That's not how banking works.

Yesterday the Irish Times reported that unexplained sums of money were appearing in people's accounts,.

They subsequently removed the claim and changed the headline.

Today they repeat the claim

On Tuesday, the bank’s online services were not functioning as normal, with many cut off from its app and website. Tasks such as transferring money and checking balances were impossible for some customers. As the day progressed, the problem became more serious, with unexplained sums of money appearing in people’s accounts.

Wasn't the point that people could not access their accounts? So how did they know that unexplained sums of money were appearing?

Online banking is how you check your balance and create transactions. It doesn't do any processing. It hands off to other processing systems.
The issue wasn't accessing money. The issue was you able to access money you didn't have.

Hi Sunny

Were BoI customers able to see the app and online banking on Tuesday to check their balances?

My understanding is that they were not able to do so.

Brendan

Back