BOI app down ?

redstar

Can't seem to login in - just get a 'try again later' error message. Any one else?

2023-08-15 14 40 18.png

From @talktoBOI twitter just now:

Thanks for your tweet. Unfortunately we are unable to provide an exact timeframe but please be assured we are working to rectify this as soon as possible and apologies for any inconvenience. Declan

I guess when decoded this means "an upgrade was applied and broke everything - no idea what happened !!"

Last edited:
I got a message saying they have put €1,000 into everybody's bank account, wouldn't that be lovely if it was a gift to us all!

Imagine working in BOI IT at the moment.....what the hell happened during the day on a Tuesday to cause this complete meltdown...

Can they not switch off ATM access to all BoI accounts?

Huge queues at ATMs in Dublin, Limerick and other parts of the country were reported this evening as people took advantage of the screw-up to withdraw cash from their Revolut accounts.

The frenzied withdrawal of cash was despite warnings on social media that there is no such thing as free cash and the money will have to be repaid.

Can they not switch off ATM access to all BoI accounts?

Huge queues at ATMs in Dublin, Limerick and other parts of the country were reported this evening as people took advantage of the screw-up to withdraw cash from their Revolut accounts.

The frenzied withdrawal of cash was despite warnings on social media that there is no such thing as free cash and the money will have to be repaid.
They are doing a transfer from their BoI accounts to Revolut.

They are then withdrawing the money from their Revolut cards via ATM.

BoI would have to block BoI to Revolut transfers.

They've been sweating the IT asset for years, this is what happens when you don't invest in critical technology.

It is getting to the stage where BOI are going to have assure people that their money is safe. I have seem bank runs start for less than pictures of guards stopping people using ATM's.....

Technical issue or something more sinister....longer BOI stay quiet, more I would look at the latter....

Central bank asleep at the wheel on this. Have been aware of the severity of the issues with the banks IT systems for many years and have fined them on a number of occasions. CBI really need to step up to the plate and get proactive, and not just in respect of the pillar banks. Some of the online ones appear to be even worse.

This will surely undermine customer confidence in safety/security and worry about access to funds if Gardai are stopping you at ATMs. I was recently in a south county Dublin suburb. A well known bank based in a shopping centre had no ATM either inside or outside the ‘branch’. No cash desk either. Just phone lines for enquiries and a kiosk for statements. I wondered was it some sort of cashless experiment. How can it be called a ‘bank’ ?. The single ATM in the adjacent shopping centre was on the lower ground floor so quite a walk from the ‘bank’. When I eventually got there it was ‘out of order’. Had to walk elsewhere to find a working ATM in order to access cash. Not great if you are elderly. Have queued in banks recently for 30 minutes just to get a draft. Really poor customer service with often only one member of staff serving when there are two booths. But what choice do we have ?

That doesn't sound plausible.
It was a message going around on WhatsApp last night.

I had €140 in my back account after paying all my bills out from my wages yesterday . I have a €100 overdraft on my BOI account.

Last night Revolut let me withdraw €1,200 from my BOI account.

This morning my BOI balance is €140 and I have €1,200 in my Revolut account, which will naturally of course be returned as its not money for me to spend.

I can't screenshot the BOI account but I'll supply evidence if needed to verify my post.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230816_070905_Revolut.jpg
    Screenshot_20230816_070905_Revolut.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 357
Back