BOI app down ?

I wonder whether the bank could close their accounts? Presumably yes.

Imagine the outcry if these lowlifes were then turned down by the other banks on the basis of their fraudulent behaviour.

It’d be some lesson. First Nigel Farage, then these chancers.
Lowlifes. Define a low life.

What about the person who got wind of this and used it to throw a bit of tax on their van to get too and from work cos they just replaced the clutch and their smashed.

Or somebody who is not in receipt of the back to school allowance and needs to get €800 for a tablet for secondary school and they have one more payment to make before the deadline.

There are a lot of working people struggling right now. I'd be hard-pressed to call somebody like that a lowlife. Opportunists.

Somebody not working, never will work with fully functioning limbs and who went and bought a tele hell yeah.

And leave Nigel out of it he gave us the 'gift' of Brexit lol

What about the person who got wind of this and used it to throw a bit of tax on their van to get too and from work cos they just replaced the clutch and their smashed.

So it's ok for that person to mug someone on the street and steal their wallet?

So it's ok for that person to mug someone on the street and steal their wallet?
That's physical violence and not cool.
You can't compare the two.

It was an opportunist crime but one without violence against another person.

The bank will get their money back at some point I'm sure.

One definition.... a person who steals from another or takes advantage of a situation to enrich themselves fraudulently.
I read that as stealing to fund a designer bag or another frivolous purchase.

If a case like this ended up in court and they could prove that they used the money for something rather sensible such as motor tax or an educational expense for a child I'd like to think the judge could understand the logic.

Don't get me wrong, it's still not right. I'm just playing Devils advocate. But it's not a Gucci bag and a set of runners or a watch etc.

But just to keep it all back on topic its 10pm and my 'withdrawal' of €1,200 is still not showing in my account.

Just in case anybody was wondering how long the accounting would take to resolve with BOI.

I read that as stealing to fund a designer bag or another frivolous purchase.

If a case like this ended up in court and they could prove that they used the money for something rather sensible such as motor tax or an educational expense for a child I'd like to think the judge could understand the logic.

Don't get me wrong, it's still not right. I'm just playing Devils advocate. But it's not a Gucci bag and a set of runners or a watch etc.

The bottom line is that it's stealing. It doesn't matter if the money is used for a good cause or not.

If something is wrong, it's wrong. Not partly wrong.

What crime do people think has been committed here?

Do thieves usually withdraw money from their own accounts?

(For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not a BOI customer! ).

I made a fairly hefty purchase yesterday afternoon. Paid for with BOI debit card. The debit card transaction worked there and then. I only found out after about the BOI issue. This transaction hasn't shown up yet on my Internet banking.
I contacted the shop and gave them my phone number just in case it doesn't go through.

It should go through fine. There'll be a record of all these transactions, but settlement may be delayed. The merchant cannot be out of pocket for an authorised transaction, unless the card is used fraudulently (i.e. not by an authorised cardholder).

Last edited:
What stops BOI from going to collection agency and going after all the people that got €1k from bank for free as in, they have 0 balance and still got €1k.

What crime do people think has been committed here?

Do thieves usually withdraw money from their own accounts?

(For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not a BOI customer! ).
Pretty obvious really.

The call went out in sites like Reddit etc that Bank of Ireland had an IT issue that was enabling people with no money in their accounts to withdraw €1,000.

Decent people said “Hmmm, fascinating, that’s terrible, another IT car crash for the banks”.

Scum said “Oh great, I’ll steal €1,000 and sure the worst that can happen is that they’ll stick me on a payment plan”.

I’d say the amount of people using the €1,000 they’ve stolen to buy an iPad for a schoolchild could meet in a phonebox.

I don't think it's at all obvious. Are folks on this thread expecting the DPP to prepare files? Why weren't the Gardaí on scene at the ATMs arresting these folks for robbery and attempted robbery?

Stupid, distasteful, unethical. But criminal?

Last edited:
I don't think it's at all obvious. Are folks on this thread expecting the DPP to prepare files? Why weren't the Gardaí on scene at the ATMs arresting these folks for robbery and attempted robbery?

So you think that if one of us hears that BOI have an IT issue which enables the withdrawal of €1,000 regardless of account balance, and we plough on and ‘procure’ €1,000, that’s not a crime?

What is it? A joke? A prank? Of course it’s a crime.

So you think that if one of us hears that BOI have an IT issue which enables the withdrawal of €1,000 regardless of account balance, and we plough on and ‘procure’ €1,000, that’s not a crime?

What is it? A joke? A prank? Of course it’s a crime.
It is wrong. But do you have the same opinion on teacher's etc who do grinds for cash.
A employee knowingly taking extra breaks is that not stealing time from their employer.
Or are these seen as acceptable and justifiable to society.

Accounting has processed on account now, debit and credit transaction for €1,200 showing dated 16/08.

Kinda regretting not putting it towards getting the front of the house pumped, would have loved an interest free loan and have skipped the underwriting stage!

I mean sure they already have my 3 months bank statements lol.

Plenty of crimes happen without the DPP preparing files, I don't think anyone expects that to happen. How could the Gardaí realistically perform arrests when they presumably didn't know what was going on at the time, there were hundreds/thousands of people doing it, and, there was no way to know who had what balances in their accounts etc? Silly to conflate them not intervening with the action being legal, it's most certainly criminal behaviour.

Accounting has processed on account now, debit and credit transaction for €1,200 showing dated 16/08.

Kinda regretting not putting it towards getting the front of the house pumped, would have loved an interest free loan and have skipped the underwriting stage!

I mean sure they already have my 3 months bank statements lol.
I actually wonder how BOI would treat a loan application from you going forward. I'd imagine the people that don't repay the funds like you immediately can forget about ever borrowing from them again.

Back