BOI app down ?

This will surely undermine customer confidence in safety/security and worry about access to funds if Gardai are stopping you at ATMs. I was recently in a south county Dublin suburb. A well known bank based in a shopping centre had no ATM either inside or outside the ‘branch’. No cash desk either. Just phone lines for enquiries and a kiosk for statements. I wondered was it some sort of cashless experiment. How can it be called a ‘bank’ ?. The single ATM in the adjacent shopping centre was on the lower ground floor so quite a walk from the ‘bank’. When I eventually got there it was ‘out of order’. Had to walk elsewhere to find a working ATM in order to access cash. Not great if you are elderly. Have queued in banks recently for 30 minutes just to get a draft. Really poor customer service with often only one member of staff serving when there are two booths. But what choice do we have ?
Pay by card instead of cash, and maybe do an electronic transfer instead of drafts and cheques.

BOI are still processing a backlog of transactions. Your balance will be updated.
Oh I work in finance I know it will be updated.

It's not showing in the list of transactions at all but it will arrive shortly.

I just wanted to test the theory for the craic from the comfort of my sofa. None of this queuing lark for me.

Fair enough, but how much is the fee you incur for an unauthorised overdraft?
I'm not sure, the money will be sent back today on Revolut.

So if there is a backlog no overdraft will probably occur. My bank will show a credit and when the reconciliations are done then it will go off again you would expect.

I'm not sure, the money will be sent back today on Revolut.

So if there is a backlog no overdraft will probably occur. My bank will show a credit and when the reconciliations are done then it will go off again you would expect.
But what you did is fraud…

Folks
I have deleted a lot of ridiculous speculation which is very distracting from trying to understand the real issue.

Stick to what we know.

Don't respond to allegations of "russian hackers" or other nonsense

Brendan

Were these transactions all initiated via Revolut?

If the Bank of Ireland app was down I presume people couldn't push out money?

Could BoI customers make withdrawals at ATMs with their BoI cards or did they have to use their Revolut account instead?

Brendan

Last edited:
But what you did is fraud…
Only fraud if you keep it, I have not kept it. The funds are in banky mcbank land on their way back to Bank of Ireland.
I am hardly going to keep money I can't afford to pay back.

I am just showing the facts of how their banking system failed in that I was able to do what I should not have been able to do.
The Independent stated this morning -
The fault with the online app allowed people who have no money in their account to transfer up to €500 into a Revolut account.
Some people claimed they were able to get access to €1,000, but the bank insisted the daily withdrawal limit is €500.

Well that's just incorrect as I was allowed to take out a lot more and I have the evidence to support it.

Only fraud if you keep it, I have not kept it. The funds are in banky mcbank land on their way back to Bank of Ireland.
I am hardly going to keep money I can't afford to pay back.

I am just showing the facts of how their banking system failed in that I was able to do what I should not have been able to do.
The Independent stated this morning -
The fault with the online app allowed people who have no money in their account to transfer up to €500 into a Revolut account.
Some people claimed they were able to get access to €1,000, but the bank insisted the daily withdrawal limit is €500.

Well that's just incorrect as I was allowed to take out a lot more and I have the evidence to support it.
Applying your logic, theft isn’t a crime if you subsequently give the item back.

Of course it’s a fraud. You have knowingly perpetrated a fraud.

Applying your logic, theft isn’t a crime if you subsequently give the item back.

Of course it’s a fraud. You have knowingly perpetrated a fraud.
I don't see it that way, I tested a flaw in the system which was made public yesterday evening.
I can't see BOI coming after me with their big stick, they have much bigger fish to fry today.
The money will be back in their account by lunchtime, nobody has died!

The Irish Times is reporting as eChick did earlier

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/...tra-money-appear-in-some-bank-accounts-fixed/

The queues formed as people reported €1,000 appearing unsolicited in their accounts on Tuesday and social media was flooded with images and footage of queues.

That is nonsense I presume? They sucked the money out of Revolut.

Brendan
I would assume they pulled it from Revolut and then made a cash withdrawal via their Revolut account - which may have incurred a charge not sure on that one would need to check the T&C.

But then again they could have just been trying withdrawals directly from their BOI account, hard to know unless somebody on here tried it and can confirm.

I couldn't get into my BOI account from lunchtime onwards to check my balance but I knew I had €140 in it as I got paid that morning and had done all my bills.

I just tried the Revolut thing for the laugh as I didn't actually believe what my husband told me, I was like that is nonsense but I was a little shocked when the transfer worked.

From what I hear BOI's statement about the €500 overdraft limit is wrong. Nobody went overdrawn which is why the withdrawls worked but will during the course of today when balances are updated. I believe that you didn't even have to suck it out through revolut. Using your ATM card to withdraw the money despite lack of funds worked as well.

So could a Bank of Ireland customer go to the ATM and withdraw money yesterday?

Brendan

It would appear so but some people said they couldn't but hard to know what's genuine complaint and what's not. It was online banking that was down but that somehow impacted customer balances. From what it appears, BOI were letting people withdraw cash without knowing what the customer balance was and they weren't updating. Its why there is a backlog today.
Haven't heard anything about point of sales failure either.

Back