Bad credit rating, need replacement gas boiler asap

Inamuddle2025

Registered User
Messages
109
Acknowledge all of this is my own fault however I cannot currently change things.

In a few months arrears with mortgage, have spoken to them but appreciate I am only starting to make payments again now since January so I cannot as yet capitalise on the arrears.

Boiler died completely as would be standard with a boiler of over 22 years old. Two quotes similar price, one wanted payment upfront, credit union said no, other goes through humm and also turned down because of no capitalisation as cannot change things within the 90 days they specified. No friends/family to borrow off etc and have not got a spare 5k sitting around. Applied for exceptional needs payment and turned down almost instantly. Have spoken to MABS but it will be mid October before they can see me. Can anyone think of anywhere I could get a replacement boiler loan with my credit history?

I work from home, the house is gas central heating so means no hot water or heating although luckily we have an electric shower.

At my wits end thinking of a freezing cold winter.
 
Is there any possibility to repair the boiler? Ours is 33 and still going strong. 5k to replace seems on the expensive side? As it’s on my mind that ours might give up the ghost at any stage the cost is on my mind.
 
5k to replace seems on the expensive side?
I had a gas boiler replaced in July 2025 - my options were a standard boiler for 3000 euro or a combi boiler for 4000 euro.

My boiler was also over 20 years old, the gas engineer took one look at it and decided he wouldn't even try to repair it ("if I could get the part", "might not last", etc etc - you get the idea).
 
In my opinion it's difficult to offer suggestions on the basis of the information provided. A Money Makeover might help to give a clearer picture of what's possible in the circumstances.
 
Having an electric shower means you can wait.
Get through the winter with bottled gas heaters and sparing use of electric heaters and save up for a new boiler.
The last thing you need is more debt.
 
I have a 35yr old gas boiler so this is always on my mind too, that said they guy who serviced it said it's in such good shape he would consider trying a repair if possible at all when needed. An added cost with an old boiler or so I have been told is that the metal piping from tank to boiler will all have to be replaced for plastic or whatever it is due to new regs.

If I had no boiler in the morning and couldn't afford new I would get one of the portable gas heaters, I actually have one and it does a good job at heating kitchen/dining room area in the daytime when the boiler isn't on.

Obviously that might not do long term, an oil filled radiator is not the worst for a single room heat and for working at a desk you can't beat a heated throw, this was one of the best things I ever bought.

Other than all that is there any possibility of second hand boiler? I know someone who put in a new boiler, never actually moved into house and then in the renovations went heat pump and took out the boiler again, sitting in shed since! There must be some out there where people are removing them for renovations. However I appreciate if you have no spare cash that's hardly an option either.
 
I have seen lots of very new looking gas boilers in skips. Probably because they are being replaced by heat pumps.
There should definitely be a market for second hand gas boilers.
They can easily be inspected and certified as safe to reinstall.

Or is this another thing banned in our ridiculously excessive health and safety society.
 
I'd look for an additional opinion on whether it can be repaired.

Ideally someone who has been repairing boilers for years and knows them inside out and likely will have the part needed at the back of his shed.

Pop into a plumbing supply place and ask them (look for the most "mature" person behind the counter) if they know someone who will prefer to repair than replace.

In Dublin I'd look at these guys as the reviews seem to be very good - https://www.ptsireland.co.uk/dublin-branch Pictures and details of what is wrong will help them steer you in the right direction
 
Apologies I am only getting back to this now as we are doing a house clearout to try bring in some cash. I cant seem to quote responses but I will answer questions below:

No it cannot be fixed I have already gone down that route twice and it is now totally unrepairable. I have had the pump replaced and valves and things but it is just completely dead now.

Yes we are lucky to have the electric shower although it broke last year too and has been replaced so without that we have no hot water at all.

No fireplace. I have a plug in heater where the fireplace should be but it was gas fired anyway.

Have had three quotes now and all similar prices unfortunately.

I applied for exceptional needs payment and gave all details and was then to post out the information. I applied online on the thursday I think and posted the bank statements and quotes out as soon as I could but got refused before they even received the documentation. I have spoken to Mabs and have an appointment with them next month and they advised they will appeal on my behalf as it is a heat and water issue but they are swamped themselves currently too.

In regards to the community welfare officer I guess I am not broke enough for this type of thing, I am not on benefits etc and on paper I earn a decent wage I just messed up not paying the mortgage for a few months for varying reasons and getting myself a bad credit rating. All fully on me and I could afford a loan repayment which is all I want I dont want handouts but I cant get a loan to begin with. If stupidity was an olympic sport I would have a gold medal this year.
 
Don't beat yourself up. It serves no purpose. Maybe if you did a Money Makeover people might be able to spot potential solutions that you haven't identified so far?
 
get a gas superser type thing for now and a couple of plug in electric heaters and an electric blanket for bed.

can you take on a short term gig (bar / hospitality) for a few months? is there overtime or on-call work available to you? are there any subs you can cancel, or other payments you could push out?

reluctant to suggest this, but if your credit report is already shot, another missed mortgage payment won't make much difference
 
The reason I am in this mess is due to renting a room to 'someone in need' under ARP last year who decided he hated me, all women, humanity in general and unknown to me had told red cross he was being evicted and losing his 'licence rights' in my home despite never once asking me any questions and I went away for one weekend where he had full control of my home, the home he was getting rental paid via the government and he systematically tried to ruin the inside of my home. Caused electrical issues, caused water damage, almost killed my dog and caused untold other issues before taking all of his things AND all of the saleable things in my home and moving out. Red cross did not care, gardai could do nothing and home insurance will not cover malicious damage so I spent mortgage money on putting back together my home and buried my head in the sand when it came to the mortgage which is now why I am in the situation I am in and I will never, ever, EVER rent out a room again to anyone.

No overtime available but even if it was it is the straight up 5kish cost for the boiler I am in need of. I have a good paying job but I do not have that much now in savings unfortunately and with the bad credit rating I cannot get a loan which I can repay I just cannot get the money to begin with. A mess by all accounts and no point putting in the details of age etc as I am 49, sole parent, mortgage solely in my name and mortgaged till retirement.
 
No overtime available but even if it was it is the straight up 5kish cost for the boiler I am in need of. I have a good paying job but I do not have that much now in savings unfortunately and with the bad credit rating I cannot get a loan which I can repay I just cannot get the money to begin with. A mess by all accounts and no point putting in the details of age etc as I am 49, sole parent, mortgage solely in my name and mortgaged till retirement.
Ask your employer for an advance?
Talk to someone via your job's Employee Assistance Programme if available?
 
Back
Top